Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:54 PM
Spritual Pilot
Silicon Valley, CA
Joined May 2001
677 Posts
Zoom/Shogun 400 Building Tips ?

Finally, a shogun 400 was delivered yesterday. My first impression on the shogun 400 was:

'Why had I spent so much money for other helis? I should have baught one more Shogun instead of purchasing those CNC upgrades (for piccolo pro) that costed me more than $200.'

I used to have a hummingbird, hornet, and piccolo pro. The shogun 400 looks FAR FAR FAR better than those tiny helis....

I plan to replace the tail with CDROM brushless motor. I had very bad experience with a gear-driven tail on Hornet. It was a nightmare (I broken them before I flew..). So, this time, I will not bother with tail.

BTW, I am willing to sell those tail parts if anyone wants to buy. It will include all the parts (pinion gear, boom, all the tail parts) except fins. Fins in Shogun 400 looks good and I gonna keep it.

Yesterday, I detached the tail booms to replace with a home-made boom. Also, installed servos...

HERE COMES MY QUESTION:

The pitch slide in the head is somewhat tight. It move smoothly in bottom half. However, in upper half, the slide does not move smoothly. Should I make the slide's hole larger or will it be ok with this. If it leaves this way, I worry that the pitch control becomes jerky. Any idea ?

Thanks,

Jeongnam
jnyoun is offline Find More Posts by jnyoun
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:57 PM
United States, CA, Stanton
Joined Jan 2004
2,012 Posts
Sounds like there may have a burr in the slot.
mdttb is offline Find More Posts by mdttb
Old Jun 23, 2004, 02:02 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyoun
I plan to replace the tail with CDROM brushless motor. I had very bad experience with a gear-driven tail on Hornet. It was a nightmare (I broken them before I flew..). So, this time, I will not bother with tail.

BTW, I am willing to sell those tail parts if anyone wants to buy. It will include all the parts (pinion gear, boom, all the tail parts) except fins. Fins in Shogun 400 looks good and I gonna keep it.

HERE COMES MY QUESTION:

The pitch slide in the head is somewhat tight. It move smoothly in bottom half. However, in upper half, the slide does not move smoothly. Should I make the slide's hole larger or will it be ok with this. If it leaves this way, I worry that the pitch control becomes jerky. Any idea ?

Thanks,

Jeongnam
I'm interested in the tail parts, PM me with what you want for them.
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jun 23, 2004, 02:05 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,764 Posts
BTW, I want to do a CDROM motor also, but was thinking of leaving the pitch mech. in place, just think of the tail authority of the TR motor running in gov. mode, and a servo operating the pitch (right or left). A second tail ass'y would give me something to experiment with.
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jun 23, 2004, 05:52 PM
Spritual Pilot
Silicon Valley, CA
Joined May 2001
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdttb
Sounds like there may have a burr in the slot.
How can I remove this burr if it has? Or How do I know it has a burr?

Thanks
jnyoun is offline Find More Posts by jnyoun
Old Jun 23, 2004, 06:42 PM
Joined Jan 2004
2,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyoun
How can I remove this burr if it has? Or How do I know it has a burr?

Thanks
Requires taking it apart and looking if it does a small file will do the trick. There's a thread some where here thats shows how to take the head off. I'll look for it and post it when I find it.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 06:44 PM
Joined Jan 2004
2,012 Posts
Here it is

Make sure you pay close attention to the washout base when putting it back on it does matter how it goes back on. Dont ask how I know.
Last edited by mdttb; Jun 23, 2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 07:17 PM
Joined Dec 2003
418 Posts
If I have said it once I have said it a million times. There is nothing wrong with the tail on this heli its brilliant.

http://www.zoom-heli.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=393
wildstallion is offline Find More Posts by wildstallion