Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 23, 2004, 09:33 AM
Singapore
Joined Jul 2003
643 Posts
Simprop Turn Left - some translation needed

Got this from RC-Network.de, Can someone who knows German explain the "EWD minus 0,5°" part? Seems like this is the fundamental difference between the Turn Left and Liftoff XXS.

"Mit dem "Turn Left" gibt es nun ein reinrassiges Sportgerät für die neue Klasse F5D-Limited. Der Zuschnitt ist klar auf Pylon ausgerichtet, das Modell basiert auf dem bewährten "LiftOff xxs", aber es wurden natürlich die notwendigen Anpassungen vorgenommen: EWD minus 0,5° - wir wollen Pylon fliegen, keine Loopings! Dazu gibt es dann endlich auch für die kleinen APC einen passenden Spinner, zeitgemäß ganz aus Aluminium mit CNC gedreht."

Thanks.
Vic Peh is offline Find More Posts by Vic Peh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2004, 09:44 AM
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Peh
Got this from RC-Network.de, Can someone who knows German explain the "EWD minus 0,5°" part? Seems like this is the fundamental difference between the Turn Left and Liftoff XXS.

"Mit dem "Turn Left" gibt es nun ein reinrassiges Sportgerät für die neue Klasse F5D-Limited. Der Zuschnitt ist klar auf Pylon ausgerichtet, das Modell basiert auf dem bewährten "LiftOff xxs", aber es wurden natürlich die notwendigen Anpassungen vorgenommen: EWD minus 0,5° - wir wollen Pylon fliegen, keine Loopings! Dazu gibt es dann endlich auch für die kleinen APC einen passenden Spinner, zeitgemäß ganz aus Aluminium mit CNC gedreht."

Thanks.
Here is how Google translates it:

With the "turn Left" gives it now reinrassiges sport equipment for the new class to F5D-Limited. The cut is clearly aligned to suspension tower, the model be based on the proven "elevator off xxs", but the necessary adjustments were naturally made: EWD minus 0,5° - we want to fly suspension tower, no loopings! In addition there is a suitable crank then finally also for the small APC, completely up-to-date from aluminum with CNC turned.

Not bad for a free service that takes seconds to use.
down_shift is offline Find More Posts by down_shift
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:21 AM
Singapore
Joined Jul 2003
643 Posts
Thx but been there and done that. I reckon EWD means incidence angle of the wing?
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:22 AM
Finland
Joined Feb 2001
584 Posts
Wir wollen ja auch kein flügel brechen!

Free translation: we have a first report of in-flight breakup of LiftOff XXS wing from Estonia. Wing does feel suspiciously flexible. Has anybody found out yet whether TurnLeft wing is the same or a beefed up version of XXS wing?

P.S. EWD -0.5 just means TurnLeft wing saddle has been altered to decrease incidence by half a degree. A modification every LiftOff XXS pylon pilot does by using a bit of balsa.
Petri Nygren is offline Find More Posts by Petri Nygren
Last edited by Petri Nygren; Jun 25, 2004 at 02:51 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 03:13 AM
Paderborn, Germany
Joined Oct 2003
25 Posts
Hi there,

yes, Vic is right, EWD meansAngle of incidence. AFAIK.
The LiftOff XXS is a Hotliner, so it needs a least some glider capabilities. for Pylon you just need the speed ;-)

@Petri: it's not just a decease of 0.5 degrees. It's set from approx. +2 to -0.5.
The wings of a Turn Left will have a spar. And it is also strengthend around the servo cut out.
and: yes, Paul Schreiber also had a "inflight break up" with an original LiftOff XXS wing. It broke on the servo cut out.

For more Infos stay tuned!!! Saturday and sunday will be this years first F5D / F5D-Limited competition in Münster, Germany!

/Peter

btw: "reinrassig" means purebred....just a marketing word ;-)
phansen is offline Find More Posts by phansen
Old Jun 24, 2004, 03:28 AM
Finland
Joined Feb 2001
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen
It's set from approx. +2 to -0.5.
OK, thanks for correcting. Half a degree did sound a bit small! So incidence is decreased 2.5 degrees. And this is not the real incidence of course - as measured from angles of zero lift - but incidence measured from leading/trailing edges.

HIGHLY interesting to hear that the wing is strengthened! First time I start thinking TurnLeft could have some potential!

Looking forward to read another excellent competition report from Germany...
Last edited by Petri Nygren; Jun 24, 2004 at 03:31 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 03:57 PM
Laulasmaa, Estonia
Joined Jun 2004
19 Posts
Yep, that was mine XXS Petri was refering to. Wing broke right in the middle. Should have bought TurnLeft
ullar is offline Find More Posts by ullar
Old Jun 28, 2004, 03:08 AM
Paderborn, Germany
Joined Oct 2003
25 Posts
List'o'Presso seriously injured by TL

....the Turn Left (wing) is hard and stiff enough to survive a crash in the air.
Paul touched my Lift'o'Presso with his Turn Left during the race....my ship sunk...he continued his flight!
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:33 PM
F5D-Pylonracing
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Feb 1999
51 Posts
Jaja Peter...

See them here during race:

*oops* what a mistake! These were NOT Peter and Paul!
Edit: Martin Schlief (Turn Left, pink/blue) and Oliver Mahr (Turn Left, yellow/red) at pylon #1 during "F5D-Limited" race.

Info: "F5D-Limited" is a F5D sport class in Germany using rc-car motors, 250g accu and 800-1000g weight limit. Flight program is identical with F5D. Fully moulded models are not allowed, model size is conform to F5D 2005 rules. The "Turn Left" was especially designed for this new class last autumn...

So this is (or was? ) Peter Hansen and his Lift'o'Presso:

Pilot Peter Hansen, helper Thomas Grunenberg...

This was last year in Kirchdorf/Germany during F5D contest...
Siggi

www.F5D.org
www.aerodesign.de
Siggi is offline Find More Posts by Siggi
Last edited by Siggi; Jul 09, 2004 at 05:25 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 09:53 PM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri Nygren
A modification every LiftOff XXS pylon pilot does by using a bit of balsa.
Guys, I wonder if you can help, I have the XXS and I've just about gotten used to it but I can't quite seem to get it trimmed/balanced so that I'm comfortable with its flight envelope at all speeds.
Should I shim the wing at the back so the trailing edge is raised a little? Is this what the modification is on the Turn-left?

Thanks.
thermite is offline Find More Posts by thermite
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:24 PM
Singapore
Joined Jul 2003
643 Posts
Thermite,

Do you intend to turn your XXS into a pylon racer? Reducing the wing incidence angle will result in poorer glide ratio; F5D racers are flown with the motor on all the time.

What exactly do you feel uncomfortable about your XXS?
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:43 PM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,597 Posts
Hi Vic,

I don't really feel uncomfortable with it on the whole. It just seems I have to trim it to be optimal for the speed I'm flying. I've found a good balance point now. If I'm speeding around, I trim it down a bit, if I get it up high and want to soar with a slower glide, I trim up until it starts to poirpoise a bit and then put the trim forward a couple of clicks until it glides smoothly and more slowly. I thought, shimming the wing at the back might get me somewhere in between those settings??
Old Jun 29, 2004, 03:42 AM
Finland
Joined Feb 2001
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermite
I thought, shimming the wing at the back might get me somewhere in between those settings??
Don´t shim, that´s for pylon racers as Vic pointed out. You just need to move the CG further aft. That reduces the required trim changes.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 04:15 AM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,597 Posts
Ok, got it. Thanks guys.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:22 AM
Paderborn, Germany
Joined Oct 2003
25 Posts
Siggi,

thanx for correcting the facts...almost right: The picture shows two Turn Lefts.

Wie würden Kurt sagen: "Das kommt davon, wenn zu viel Bier mit Zaziki den Bregen vernebelt" ;-)
(very free translation would be: I don't know what you are smoking, but....." :-)

My Lift'o'presso is starting to recover. Hope to fly it again next weekend.

:-)
P.