Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 22, 2004, 09:43 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Should I, or Shouldn't I?

Whaddy'all think: the LHS has a Graupner electric glider with an older Airtronics 6 channel AM Tx (and motor, and ESC and servos, no charger). They've got a price of $300 CDN on it, and so I'm wondering if this isn't a bad (read cheap) way to move up from my Aerobird. I'm thinking that it gets me into a "real" radio system that I can swap from plane to plane, and get a Slow-Stick or other trainer, before I take a crack at the glider.

I didn't catch the model of the radio, but it's got dual rates and servo reversing, but no mixing. My LHS guy tells me I can get an outboard mixer to put in the plane, if I ever decide I need it.

I don't see myself getting into big planes, as I quite like parkfliers and foamies, and don't see myself or flying nitro or joining a club in the near future.

I realize this wouldn't be the be-all-end-all setup, but I'm looking for a stop-gap to keep my itch scratched for a couple of years until I can devote more $$$ to a larger stable of planes and a computer radio...

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this, since between y'all and the LHS guy you've sucked me into my ABC , and now it's not enough... I want more! MORE!
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:08 PM
Incredible User
DFW, Texas
Joined May 2004
234 Posts
I think you should pass on this. Especially if that Airtronics is an "AM" radio. You'll have a hard time finding receivers for this. (unless this some sort of Canadian thing?? )

Not sure what that Graupner glider's worth, but I know you can buy a Hitec Flash 5 digital type radio for around $160 - 170 US complete with a Electron 6 rec and two servos. This radio also has dual rates and expo for ailerons and elevator, and a 5 model memory. I love mine. I'm a beginer too (started with ABX) and having the adjustable expo feature makes learning a new plane MUCH easier.

IMHO, you're better off getting a new (read warranty) radio that has the features you'll need in the coming months/years instead of buy several radios. Cause, you know you will eventually.

Cheers
Jeff
GutZee is offline Find More Posts by GutZee
Old Jun 23, 2004, 08:31 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,185 Posts
What Jeff said.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood