SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2004, 06:07 AM
Need more time to fly!
Nashua, New Hampshire, United States
Joined May 2001
91 Posts
Can I charge packs in series with TP protection circuit?

I have two of the TP6000-3S3P packs with the JST lead for the charge protection circuit. I want to use these packs in series to make a 6S3P pack. I have an Astro 109 charger. I was originally planning on charging the packs in series, but I'm not sure if that will work with the JST leads.

I can wire up an adapter to plug into the two JST leads such that the packs are in series. If the charge protection circuit is just monitoring individual cell voltages to make sure no cell gets too high, then it seems like it will work just fine in series. But I'm afraid to try it until I find more information. Has anybody else done this?

I assume I can still charge through the regular power leads, bypassing the protection circuit.

Mark
markrduckworth is offline Find More Posts by markrduckworth
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2004, 08:45 AM
Minneapolis
Joined Apr 2003
1 Posts
I had the same question regarding my packs that came with the protection circuits built in. Quoting Gary Goodrum at TPpacks.com:

"Yes, you can charge them in series but periodically you should charge them
separately so that they will stay as balanced as possible.

The circuit is bypassed completely if you charge them through the main
leads."

RogerH
pitts8rh is offline Find More Posts by pitts8rh
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:56 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
For now, two packs up to 4s each can be charged in series (i.e. - two 4s3ps, one 3s3p and one 4s3p two 3s4ps, etc.) using the separate charging leads. Charlie wants to do some additional tests on the 5s3p and 5s4p packs before approving using two of these in series, as they already have two circuits in each pack (one 2s circuit and one 3s circuit...). This shouldn't affect anyone, however, as these packs haven't shipped just yet. Later this week, or early next week is the latest I'm hearing.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Jun 23, 2004, 01:28 PM
United States, NC, Franklin
Joined Dec 2002
424 Posts
Gary

Is it true that the 4s4p 8000 packs are limited in charging to 5 amps?

Is this the connector, the wire, or the charge circuit limitation?

thanks, Jim
jdowdle is offline Find More Posts by jdowdle
Old Jun 23, 2004, 01:51 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
It is the connector. Too much for that poor litte JST connector! Change it and you can do the full 8A.
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Jun 23, 2004, 08:09 PM
Need more time to fly!
Nashua, New Hampshire, United States
Joined May 2001
91 Posts
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be changing the connectors.

Mark
markrduckworth is offline Find More Posts by markrduckworth