HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2004, 11:15 PM
Nevada City, California, United States
Joined May 2004
448 Posts
can an ics300 be used with lipo's?

i have a sig fokker DVII thats too heavy after painting to fly and the only thing i can do to lighten it up is put lipo's instead of the 7cell 8.4v gws battery in it. i was thinking a 1400mah 2 cell lipo should work and be the 2-3 oz lighter that i'll need. but, i was hoping i wouldnt need to get a new speed controller along with the lipo and charger.
Catkicker is offline Find More Posts by Catkicker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2004, 01:06 AM
Balsa!!!
Singapore
Joined Sep 2003
1,539 Posts
It's fine as long as you don't let the voltage drop below 6v. You can avoid this by limiting your flights to about 8 minutes.
csisfun is offline Find More Posts by csisfun
Old Jun 22, 2004, 01:24 AM
two left feet
Austin, TX
Joined Aug 2003
1,091 Posts
Should be fine with a 2s pack (I wouldn't recommend 3s without a programmable low voltage cutoff). If you know the expected amps your motor/gb/prop setup should draw, you can calculate about how long you can fly... 5-8 minutes is a good start. If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage after a 5-8 minute flight and you can get a good idea of how long you'll be able to fly. I can do about 10-13 minutes on a Kokam 1500 2s pack with a 300 or 350 setup, may be significantly less if you've got a sp400. Just make sure, as mentioned by csisfun, you don't run them down below 6V for the pack.
busybee is offline Find More Posts by busybee
Old Jun 22, 2004, 01:35 AM
Joined May 2004
448 Posts
well, its a 180 geared 4.4:1 so i'd expect a little longer than 8 minutes on a 1400mah. if i can ever figure out how to use the prop predictor it gives estimates of flight time. or i might just buy one of those low voltage alarms they have. but that would add weight and might not be an answer.

thanks for the answers, at least i might be able to do this in the short term with just a new charger and lipo's.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 01:45 AM
Balsa!!!
Singapore
Joined Sep 2003
1,539 Posts
Oh that. It must be an IPS!

You can fly for up to an hour I believe. Just check your voltage!
Old Jun 22, 2004, 01:50 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Don't use for Li-Poly!

Since the cut-off point is not being designed for Li-Poly. Unless you know how many minites before battery getting low. Very risky to let battery hurt!?
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jun 22, 2004, 01:51 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
We are working on LP version ESC!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jun 22, 2004, 01:55 AM
Joined May 2004
448 Posts
i thought ips was a trade name for gws motors, this is a sig motor and it doesnt look anything like gws motors/gearbox. this one is flat on 2 sides and the gearbox surrounds the whole motor just about. plus it mounts with 3 screws instead of a mount stick like my gws planes have used. i havent been building planes for a month yet, but this is already my 3rd. killed my first an estarter, then got this and a slowstick. built the DVII as a scale plane, and was waiting to fly it till i'd had some good air time with the slowstick. i'm not perfect with the sllowstick, but who needs to be with them?

i've just got to figure a way to beef up the landing gear on this thing without a lot more weight since it grabs the grass really hard, much worse than my slowstick.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:57 AM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
cat kicker ,I have a sig scout which is in the same class as your D 7 . I'm using a 1900 2s lipo and GWS ICS 100 . This plane is a little weak with the 180 motor but I think the real problem is the flat air foil , no lift. however mine still flys pretty well with the lipo or a GWS 730 nimh 7 cell , a little extra paint , flying wires, pilot, gun dummy motor and some other extras . I once flew for 55 min. on the lipo.Any way the ICS 300 should work ok ( cuts off at 7.2 , right?) and the lighter battery? I beleave your going to need this wieght to balance it anyway. and the IPS is considered to be a 180 I think
billsmithjr is offline Find More Posts by billsmithjr
Old Jun 22, 2004, 04:03 AM
Balsa!!!
Singapore
Joined Sep 2003
1,539 Posts
The ICS300 cuts off at either 3.2v or 4.2v
Old Jun 22, 2004, 04:55 AM
Joined May 2004
448 Posts
no big, i'll just land it every 5 min or so till it starts to drop and then quit flying it til i can get a lipo freindly esc. and yeah, it looks like the wings are very much alike, i was told that engine wont take a lot more voltage, but if i go lipo(which i'd planned on anyway) and do a little movement with my rec(i have it under the servos a bit now and it balances just where its supposed to) i should be ok. i still cant believe how much the paint added to the weight.

if it cuts out at 4.2, isnt that what a 2 cell lipo is supposed to cut off at?
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:10 AM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
Naw, 2 cells likes to stoped at around 6 volts.or a little more . After 30 min. in my bristol the battery still reads over 7.4. Lipos are hard to kill in the 2 cell set because you notice the power drop long before they are dead .3 cells are different because you get a high voltage right to the end ( even in a discharged state they should read 9+ volts ) so you don,t notice the power drop as easily.so you really need the right cut off for three , for two any controller will do .
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:17 AM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
Naw, 2 cells likes to stoped at around 6 volts.or a little more . After 30 min. in my bristol the battery still reads over 7.4. Lipos are hard to kill in the 2 cell set because you notice the power drop long before they are dead .3 cells are different because you get a high voltage right to the end ( even in a discharged state they should read 9+ volts ) so you don,t notice the power drop as easily.so you really need the right cut off for three , for two any controller will do .
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:38 AM
Battery Junkie
Athens, GA
Joined Apr 2004
1,267 Posts
In a word, no.

That is if you don't want to run the risk of discharging your battery too low and then having it ballon on you when you charge it. Ask me, I know.

The method of only flying for a limited time and then landing or trying to monitor the battery power while flying is akin to driving on bald tires and pulling over every 10 miles to see if they have blown out yet.

Save yourself a lot of headaches (and a $40 battery) by purchasing the correct speed control for this type of battery. If you don't, you may have to buy the correct control AND another battery. Which is cheaper?
wrenwright is offline Find More Posts by wrenwright
Old Jul 15, 2004, 01:26 AM
Balsa!!!
Singapore
Joined Sep 2003
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenwright
In a word, no.

That is if you don't want to run the risk of discharging your battery too low and then having it ballon on you when you charge it. Ask me, I know.

The method of only flying for a limited time and then landing or trying to monitor the battery power while flying is akin to driving on bald tires and pulling over every 10 miles to see if they have blown out yet.

Save yourself a lot of headaches (and a $40 battery) by purchasing the correct speed control for this type of battery. If you don't, you may have to buy the correct control AND another battery. Which is cheaper?
In 3 words, yes with caution.
XD