HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2002, 02:57 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
New to MF, EJF F-18 setup (quick)

Hey people, I have been researching jets for a while now and am purchasing a F-18 from Electric Jet Factory.

http://www.electricjetfactory.com/

I figured that I would get as follows:

Hitec Flash 5x -Radio System $200
Great Planes C-50 -Speed Control $50
E8-CP1700 -Battery Pack $40
EJF F-18 -Plane with Mini Fan $120

I would appreciate if you guys could tell me if this is a good setup so far and what charger I should get for the battery pack? I'm not even sure if this battery would fit since this would be my first Mini Fan Jet. Thanks

Oh and tell me, what motor would be good for the 8 cell battery pack? Or should I get a 10 cell CP1700 pack for $50.

PS. If you know of anything better than I can get that can replace what I have listed, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Last edited by KillerCut; Jan 17, 2002 at 08:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2002, 04:22 PM
Houston,TX
Joined Mar 2000
1,217 Posts
You seem to be missing a motor on the list - the C-50 controller will work if you are using a brushed motor. If you go brushless you need a brushless motor.

Battery should fit - but cell count needs to be matched to the motor

Lots of options for a charger how much do you want to spend... more money= nicer charger.
ScottS is offline Find More Posts by ScottS
Old Jan 16, 2002, 04:31 PM
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Joined Nov 2000
667 Posts
Greetings -

Your list did not identify a specific motor so the cell count for your pack may or may not be useful. Talk with Robert at EJF and he can give you some feedback on what motors are presently available and what you wish to spend You can also go to the WeMoTec web site and see what they show and get an idea on motors and cell counts as well as thrust figures for the MiniFan.

As for a charger, I don't think you can go wrong with an AstroFlight 112D as it can do both NiCad and NiMH cells in the cell count range you are likely to deal with it. I have one, will likely get a second and also have a Graupner Ultra Duo II and have been very happy with the way it and the Graupner works.

As for the rest of your list, it looks reasonable. I'm assuming the C-50 means 50 amps as the design current. You may wish to check Bernard Cawley's columns on EZone regarding speed controllers - there's plenty to choose from out there. I've been using Castle Creations and JETI brand speed controllers with excellent results.

As for the Kevin Cox designed, EJF produced F/A-18, there are probably more postings on the discussion group about this model than anything else in the group's history! Be sure to look thru the archives and take in all that's been said and shown. There's plenty of great info out there for you to look through so you can get it built right first time out. Good Luck and welcome to the F/A-18 "Bug" group!

Fly Fast! Mark
Mark Nankivil is offline Find More Posts by Mark Nankivil
Last edited by Mark Nankivil; Jan 16, 2002 at 04:34 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2002, 07:26 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that I wanted to know your opinion on what motor I should get. I do want a brushed motor since my speed control is for brushed motors. And yes it is a 50amp speed control.

I was wondering, if I should either get a cobalt or just a plain speed 400, I dont really know what motor fits a mini fan, so some info would help. Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2002, 08:44 PM
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Joined Nov 2000
667 Posts
Greetings Again -

If you're talking brushed motors, then a Speed 400 won't do it for you. Take a look at the WeMoTec web site and see whether a Plettenberg HP200/20/6 or HP200/25/4 will meet your needs or check with Specialized Model Supply and see which of the Cobalt 400 motors will meet your needs. Greg at SMS will be able to give you up to date info on which version (# of winds) of the Cobalt 400 will work for you based on your desired cell count.

It wouldn't hurt to see what EJF and EAM also have on hand.

You really ought to look thru the archives as there are a number of postings related to this very subject that would be of benefit to you.

Fly Fast! Mark
Mark Nankivil is offline Find More Posts by Mark Nankivil
Old Jan 16, 2002, 08:46 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
On EJF it says as follows:

-------------------------------
The F-18 kit has a 28" wing span and includes a laser cut balsa fuselage, formers and tail surfaces, Wire cut foam wings, foam nose and Vacuum formed Canopy and Tailpipe. Controls are Tailerons and Throttle. Bungee launch is recommended.

Requires: Mini Fan 480, Promax 400 cobalt, HP 200/20/6 or Astro 05 brushless.
10 to 12 cells max of 1250SCR type.
-------------------------------

So I am not sure which motor would be nice, do you think this plane can be hand launched? It seems kinda light, which motor would be good for me, and I was thinking along the lines of brushed motor. Thanks

And would my battery pack be good for this or should I get the 10 cells CP1700?

Also, I believe that 400 and 480 speed motors are the same size, is this true? What is the size for a mini fan?
Last edited by KillerCut; Jan 16, 2002 at 08:52 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2002, 09:59 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
Ok I've been reading the posts about the speed 480 and the Kyosho AP-29L. I noticed that people found better performance with the AP-29L but the life would be cut short if they used more that 9 or 10 cells. (Approx 20 runs). So, I was wondering what would my Jets weight be?

I havent gotten it yet and dont really see any info on its weight anywhere. Most discussions of the motor configurations specify the weight of the setup, so can someone tell me if the weight of the F-18 would be too much for a Speed 480?

Or should I just get the HP200/20/6? I dont know how much the HP costs since I cant find it on most sites and the ones I do are not in english.

So can someone help me out. Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2002, 10:14 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
I think I would take both the Speed 480 and the HP 200/20/6. I would use the speed 480 for my first flights to get a feel, and then the HP for top notch speed. Tell me what you think, and tell me how much the F-18 weights with all the servos, batteries, Rx and ESC.

Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2002, 10:36 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,321 Posts
KillerCut:

Just out of sheer curiosity, what other planes have you flown before? An EDF is a somewhat hot craft to fly. I've gotten too far ahead of myself before and it ain't pretty.
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jan 17, 2002, 01:08 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
The HP200/20/6 is optimum for 10cell/480MF operation, on 8cells it will be weak. If you still want 8cells you can use the HP200/25/4 for better performance with the option of using 10cells later. I've flown both and know them well.

Either motor cost ~$80+S when bought in Germany.
EJF have the HP's I think but I dont recall their prices - as Robert at EJF to give you an offer.
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Jan 17, 2002, 08:34 AM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
I flew a few .45 size trainers and just recently a twinjet. I feel that I could get the hang of a EDF with some practice on the Speed 480 before I put in a HP. These planes were not mine, but i got the hang of them.

So do you guys think i can use a speed 480 with 8 cells? or 10 cells? Would it fly the F-18 well?

Thanks
Last edited by KillerCut; Jan 17, 2002 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2002, 09:09 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Graupner Speed 480 BB Race on 8-9 SanyoCP1300 cells will be adequate if it weight in at 30oz or less. It wont be a speed demon this way.

If you go to HP you can use 10 CP1300's with the HP200/20/6 for a light and moderately powerful system which is handlaunchable. Duration should be around 4-6minutes.

For more power use 10 CP1700's with the HP200/25/4. The CP1700 is a heavier cell and weight will increase to around 40-42oz. Bungee assisted launches would be recommended for safe and consistent launches.
Old Jan 17, 2002, 09:15 AM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
So would a speed 480 be good with a 10cell cp1700 or 8cell cp1700?

Maybe i'd get the battery you suggested, but then i still dont know what charger to get. Any suggestions? I want a charger that can keep my batteries working very efficiently till the end and I dont want to spend too much just on a charger. Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2002, 09:32 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KillerCut
So would a speed 480 be good with a 10cell cp1700 or 8cell cp1700?

Maybe i'd get the battery you suggested, but then i still dont know what charger to get. Any suggestions? I want a charger that can keep my batteries working very efficiently till the end and I dont want to spend too much just on a charger. Thanks
Weight is the name of the game - especially in Eflight.
An 8xCP1700 pack is 3oz more than 8xCP1300 and adding that to an already weak s480 system might not be a good idea hence my CP1300 suggestion. They give the same power but have a little less duration.

The HP200/20/6 and s480 BB Race on 8cells provide almost the same power but the HP can take 10cells too whereas the s480 would not. So I'd suggest you skimp the s480 and get the HP200/20/6 instead, fly it on 8-10 CP1300's. I'd also suggest you go straight with 10cells - that will give you some power to recover from any bad manouvers - remember you can always throttle back if its too fast.

Charger - Hitec CG335 for $85 at Tower. Should you decide not to fly E later items like that are easily sold due to their popularity/quality.
Your packs will only perform as good as your charger let them. A good charger is essential.
Old Jan 17, 2002, 09:53 AM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
Oh thats a DC charger, I would need a AC/DC charger. Can you suggest a good one for around that price or even less?

And do you know where I can get the HP200/20/6? I live in the US so I need to know who can ship it to the US. Thanks

Maybe they have it at www.electricjetfactory.com because I heard that they dont update their site that much. Is this true? Or can i get it somewhere else cheaper?
Last edited by KillerCut; Jan 17, 2002 at 10:02 AM.