HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2001, 12:26 AM
Stony Creek, VA USA
Joined May 2001
2 Posts
Kyosho Cessna 180 -- First Electric

I bought my Cessna 180 about a week before I found this site and read the review on hopping up the Cessna with an Astro 05 motor. Before reading the review I had only had a few short "test" flights with the plane because of a radio glitch (hadn't installed the capacitors on the motor).

I got the radio problem fixed this morning and headed out for my first real flights in almost 10 years. From the review on the plane in stock form I was expecting the worst, poor climb out, short flights, etc. After my first two battery packs I was finding this to be true. The plane simply didn't want to stay in the air. It would gain some altitude flying straight and then lose it all again in the turns. (Yes I was adding up elevator in the turns)

I was getting flusterated and sorry that I had bought an electric plane. I gave the plane a rest while my batteries recharged and started wondering how long it would take me to save up enough for the Astro motor after just buying a plane and radio.

After an hour or two and half of a pizza, my mood improved and I decided to give it a few more tries. It was late in the day and the air was dead calm. I put in my freshly charged battery and gave it a good hand launch, fully expecting to hover around the field at 50 feet or less, and what do you know... The thing started to climb!!! I figured I would loose my altitude in the turn, but I made a nice gental turn and continued to climb. At about 300 - 400 feet I cut the power and started to glide, BEAUTIFUL. This plane just floats through the air!! I glided through a few big circles, back to 100 feet or so and reapplied power to climb back up. Again to 300 - 400 feet. This time I cut power to half and just let it circle the field. After a few minutes of this I got up enough nerve to try a loop. Push down on the elevator, gain some speed, pull back.... WOW, a near perfect loop.

After about a 10 minute flight I could tell the batteries were getting a little week so I brought it in. I overshoot the runway (read - my front yard) and landed in a wheat field. Rough on the landing gear, but easy on the plane. Any landing you can fly away from is a good one right?

I let the motor cool for a few minutes and then had another wonderful flight with my second battery pack. Still missed the runway, but my front yard isn't that big anyway, and the wheat field is huge and soft so I don't mind too much. I only missed by a plane length the second time so I'm getting closer.

All in all I would say the Cessna is a great flying plane. It is WAY underpowered, but for someone who loves gliders it's kind of nice to have to fly on the wing, not the prop. It's definately not for a first timer, (even though it will take some pretty hard landings..OOPS..) it takes too long to get to "safe" height and you have to go easy through the turns or you will lose a lot of altitude. I would definately recommend a 7 cell battery for a little more power, I was using 6 cells.

As for the Astro 05 upgrade, I think I will sitck with what I have for now. I will be buying a 7 cell battery this week though. I'm sure by the end of summer I will want to upgrade the motor (any suggestions on something a little -- lot -- cheaper than the Astro motor??). But for now I am happy to just be back in the air.

My setup is:
Kyosho EP Cessna 180
Futuba T6XAS Radio
Futuba 3003 Servos
Great Planes C20 Speed Control
6 Cell 1500
6 Cell 1700

Experience: Self-Taught with a Cox EZ-Bee 10 years ago, quit when I crashed and destroyed a brand new .40 Trainer, on it's first flight, after 30 seconds.

PernC is offline Find More Posts by PernC
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2001, 01:56 AM
Chilliwack, Canada
Joined Sep 2000
710 Posts
Spend another couple of bucks and make up 8 cell packs and i bet you'll be jumpin for joy in the difference in flight.
fourstarforty is offline Find More Posts by fourstarforty
Old May 19, 2001, 02:21 AM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
I agree. Try a few more cells.
The motor should be fine using even 8 cells. And if not and burns up, then you needed a new motor anyway! As I recall, this plane comes with a standard Speed 600/550 Size motor that demagnetizes quickly. Many use a Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem as a cheap upgrade and are very happy with the performance for the dollar. It won't last you years, but what do you expect for around $20? An underpowered plane IS a real chore to fly, so you did very well with your setup.

The 8 cell batteries will make a big difference as a good starting point.

Shawn
eflightpower.com
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old May 19, 2001, 07:02 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Shawn has the best suggestion at the most reasonable price that I've seen.
Good Luck with the reentry to RC!
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old May 19, 2001, 12:54 PM
Rhode Island
Joined Oct 2000
585 Posts
PernC,
Something else you might wish to try is replacing the S3003's with Hitec HS-81's or, if you prefer to stick with Futaba, S3101's. This will save you almost an ounce per servo and will make a noticeable difference. Not as cost-effective as 7/8 cells or the Magnetic Mayhem, but something to keep in mind.
BobK is offline Find More Posts by BobK
Old May 21, 2001, 08:27 PM
Lake Charles, LA
Joined Jun 2000
145 Posts
For now invest in some 8 cell packs. You will be amazed at the difference. The stock 600 motor will last about 50 to 100 flights on 8 cells (depending on throttle control). After it dies, you can look into the MagMahem motor for $22. The MagMahem and 8 cells will turn that docile trainer into....well a trainer with alot more power. It will last forever (practically) on 8 cells.

Just my 2 cents,

Barto
Barto is offline Find More Posts by Barto
Old May 22, 2001, 07:49 AM
Stony Creek, VA USA
Joined May 2001
2 Posts
Thanks for all the help.

Just one question about the 8 cell batteries. Will the great planes C20 speed control handle the 8 cell batteries. I haven't checked the specs on it but I would be interested in some first hand experience.
PernC is offline Find More Posts by PernC
Old May 22, 2001, 12:30 PM
Rhode Island
Joined Oct 2000
585 Posts
The C20 will handle the voltage okay, but maybe not the current. The current rating on many if not most ESC's is a "do not exceed" number, ie, if you draw 21 amps for any length of time you'll toast the thing (or, hopefully, it'll go into thermal shutdown). Your motor will probably draw somewhere around 20 amps on 8 cells.

Personally I go with the next higher current ESC in just about everything; C10's on Speed 280's, C20's on Speed 400's, and C30's on Speed 500's.
BobK is offline Find More Posts by BobK
Old May 22, 2001, 04:56 PM
racine, wi
Joined Jan 2001
339 Posts
See my last posts. A 8 cell pack and a 8*6 electric prop make this thing HAUL A**! Cheapest upgrade their is! Motor is cool at end of flight.
bpu6999 is offline Find More Posts by bpu6999