Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 21, 2004, 02:05 PM
Joined May 2004
121 Posts
What paint are people using for the camo paint jobs?

I plan to use a friendís airbrush to paint my CSD Aircobra. I want it to be flat and plan to use a green and tan combo with a gray bottom.
ugotoslope is offline Find More Posts by ugotoslope
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2004, 02:21 PM
All work and no play
Lucas, KS
Joined Apr 2003
2,042 Posts
Flowquil rail road paints work great in an airbrush. They need no thinning and dry fast.
legliderman is offline Find More Posts by legliderman
Old Jun 21, 2004, 02:27 PM
Mission Viejo, California, United States
Joined Jan 2004
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotoslope
I plan to use a friendís airbrush to paint my CSD Aircobra. I want it to be flat and plan to use a green and tan combo with a gray bottom.
Testors Model Master has a very large selection of military colors (US, German, British, etc). Both in flat and gloss. These work very well through the airbrush. The need for thinning the color varries from color to color.

This is the paint I personally use. I know some of the other guys have also used the Tamiya colors with good results.

Show us so pics if you can when it is done.

Mitch
vnylwrks is offline Find More Posts by vnylwrks
Old Jun 21, 2004, 03:13 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
The Testors paints are ideal for color, but... if you are going to apply decals, either waterslide or self stick, you're going to have to put a coat of gloss on the flat paint first to get rid of the "silvering" under the decal. This is caused by the decal in essence resting on the high "point" of the rough surface flat paint. Either use Testors gloss coat lacquer over the enamel, then apply the decals and cover the whole bird with flat coat to restore the cammo finish.
HTH
Tom

Tom
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Jun 21, 2004, 06:29 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
777 Posts
I use acrylic latex house paint. Paint store will mix to any color you want. Bring a color chip/sample and for about $8 you get a quart( Do a couple of planes and it's cheaper than buying those little overpriced bottles of paint.) Thin with windshield washer fluid and spray. Dry with a heat gun if you are in a hurry. Added benefits: water cleanup; flexes and will not get cracks in it from hard crashes; sticks very well to solartex.
jcarstan is offline Find More Posts by jcarstan
Old Jun 21, 2004, 08:39 PM
Joined May 2004
121 Posts
Very interesting and different. I got some testers colors today and will attempt a paint job in the next few days. I will post a photo when done. Thanks for the help
ugotoslope is offline Find More Posts by ugotoslope
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:57 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,555 Posts
Krylon Camo. $2.27 a can at wallyworld
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member