SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:44 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
t hawk

does the t hawk have a fully proportional throttle? i thought i saw some where its a on/off switch.

also whats the feelings of the t hawk vs aerobird. i have a aerobird and realy like it, but the t hawk looks faster, and more agile. i'm also intrested in there preditor. i mite just get one. looks very cool
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:11 PM
Joined Apr 2004
52 Posts
Yes , the t hawk has a full pro po throttle.It is a slide switch on back of the TX.Some of the first versions of the T hawk had the on off switch.All are full propo now.

I would rather have a t hawk or predator over a hobbyzone plane anyday.I took the electronics from my T hawk today to use in a tiger moth I got for fathers day.Wouldnt have happened with hobbyzone electronics.
Slink is offline Find More Posts by Slink
Old Jun 21, 2004, 08:02 PM
Joined Jun 2004
682 Posts
My flying buddy has the T Hawk and has learned to fly on it. It is nice to know that the plane is ready to fly out of the box. Also, no matter how banged up it gets, you can send it back to the company for repair at a modest cost (believe me, I've seen how well they can repair them. You can't go wrong with the T Hawk, just remember to buy some extra wings and tail feathers....just in case.

Jerry
DoctorFive is offline Find More Posts by DoctorFive
Old Jun 22, 2004, 02:47 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
I too have a T-hawk and am very happy with it. It flies well, is priced reasonably, and the company behind it is very efficient and responsive.

By the way, one of the big pluses about the T-hawk IMHO is the fact that when you buy it you get three props, a spare wing, a complete spare set of tail-feathers, an AC charger, and two sets of batteries in addition to the plane itself. In other words, don't worry about getting extra wings and tail feathers - you've already got 'em when you buy the T-hawk! (Mine is still flying happily on the first prop, wing and tail feathers, so I have two more unused props, and unused wing, and an unused set of tail feathers still sitting in the box waiting to be used.)

I'm in no way affiliated with Toytronix, I just think this is a good company with a good product.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:20 PM
Pro Bro #1442
Detroit City, Michigan, United States
Joined Oct 2003
520 Posts
The old AM version used to have on/off throttle, but it is no longer availible. After several flights I switched from the stock radio system to a Eclipse 7 and GWS Rx. I have broken bothe vertical tail sets and one horizontal set and they were all easily repairable. I have broken two of the three props, one of which was rapaired with CA, but I think I'll just use it as a letter opener. I never flew it on the stock connectors, as I moved over to deans ultra so I could use Plane Stupids PF-12 peak charger. Next I am getting a pack of KAN 1050's from CBP which should increase flight times. The Predetor is slightly smaller and uses a six cell pack, so I don't see why you would buy it over the T-Hawk when they are the same price. The only hobby zone bird I have seen is the Firebird Commander, I would say that its not realy a fair compairison as, with throttle management the T-Hawk can fly from a soccer field.
W'rkncacnter is offline Find More Posts by W'rkncacnter
Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:33 PM
Rock Hill, SC
Joined May 2002
453 Posts
A buddy of mine who has plenty of experience with Rc models just got a T-hawk to use as a crash and burn special. He likes this model very much. It has good qualities as a trainer but with increased control throws and a better motor/radio combination he can really scoot around the sky. He added a timed Zagi speed 400 motor and uses the 900mah batteries and gets about 10-13 minutes with throttle managment but he found that he had to add sufficient cooling holes to keep the motor from heating up so bad. I think he flys this model more than his other electric models. I have had stick time on his model and I got 19 minutes one day with the help of some booming thermals. He basically just flys around and rolls, loops, dives, climbs, and lands only when the speed controller shuts the model off. He has a blast with this neat little model. Im thinking of getting me one so we can have neighborhood combat with some light streamers.
amike_321 is offline Find More Posts by amike_321
Old Jun 25, 2004, 07:39 PM
Richmond VA
Joined Feb 2004
114 Posts
I too have the T-Hawk. This was one of my 1st planes that I learned to fly with. Man I can say that this plane can TAKE A BEATING and still keep on going!!!! Out of all of my crashes I only had a very bad one and the plane is still flying with the 1st set of wings + tail feathers. I only broke the prop and the RX. That crash was from a nose dive from about 75 feet up. The plane went smack dead, nose 1st into the ground. The impact was so loud that I knew that the whole plane was toast but the nose just had a dent that I pushed back in place. I have replaced my RX with the micro GWS and Eclipse 7 TX. This is a very good plane to learn with. I will now upgrade this plane to a brushless setup and see how it works.
v3611504 is offline Find More Posts by v3611504
Old Jun 25, 2004, 08:30 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3611504
I will now upgrade this plane to a brushless setup and see how it works.
The T-Hawk is one tough bird. I still have the one I used while I was learning how to fly. The only tougher plane is an EPP foam Unicorn flying wing. It makes a great move up plane from the T-Hawk.

What are you going to use as a BL motor? I tried a Razor 300 running direct drive and it did not have enough power to overcome the larger cells required to push the motor, and since you can't gear it and run a larger prop, I gave up and went back to the OEM motor.

If you find a BL that works well, please post your results.

FoamCrusher
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:46 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
well i have seen a zagi with a wattager cobalt 400. very impresive results. i have also seen one with a step up motor but forget the name of it. it could have the timing changed. as a matter of fact ya had ta retime it when ya put it in a pusher config. very fast. it was like $69. a frend put a brushless motor on one, but i don't know the results. i'm debating on putting a wattage cobalt 400 on my combat wing .

my brother dinked my aerobird into the street today. so much for the x tail. lost the prop to but replacements are like $5 fer 2. he is having probs with getting a feel for the plain. he can't notice when the battery is getting low by how heavy the controls get. i'm starting to get the feeling he doesen't have what it takes to fly. i have tought 2 others to fly with this plain, so i just wonder if it's his age (52).

flying is easy. flying smooth is another thing. lol
Old Jun 26, 2004, 08:36 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomracing
, so i just wonder if it's his age (52). flying is easy. flying smooth is another thing. lol
Go easy now....That's the age when I started. While I did not pick it up as quickly as the kids who grew up on video games, I can hold my own now.

FC
Old Jun 26, 2004, 11:30 AM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
Got my T-Hawk 3 days ago and finally got a chance to put her in the air. My first rc was a Firebird II. Got bored with that after 5 or so hours flight time. What huge difference. The power and control was amazing compared to the 2 channel. My field was very large but there was no smooth area to use for ground takeoffs. There was little if any wind. First attempt was a hand launch. Throttled up and gave her a fling. She held 6 feet until I could get my thumb to the stick and nose up. Spent the first battery trimming and getting familiar with he controls. Routine circuits. A few practice approaches. Lasted about 11 minutes. Second battery was a different story. Same easy launch. Gained altitude and speed and went for the first loop. Nose down to about 75' and stick full back. Looked perfect to me. Well close enough. Of course had to repeat my accomplishment numerous times. Went for a loop to loop from about a 100'. Pulled up and out with about 30 feet to spare. For only 20 minutes of total time I was impressed. Only initial suggestion is to keep your eye on it. If you look away for too long you might loose it. Its quick. I would highly recommend this bird to a beginner or someone who just wants to have a whole lot of fun. Now to get more battery packs.
Rick
fuzzyhead is online now Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Jun 26, 2004, 01:57 PM
Joined Jun 2004
682 Posts
Doomracing:

"my brother dinked my aerobird into the street today. so much for the x tail. lost the prop to but replacements are like $5 fer 2. he is having probs with getting a feel for the plain. he can't notice when the battery is getting low by how heavy the controls get. i'm starting to get the feeling he doesen't have what it takes to fly. i have tought 2 others to fly with this plain, so i just wonder if it's his age (52)."

Go easy on your brother. I agree that it is harder to start flying at 52 than at a younger age. At first, my son (almost 25 y.o.) was able to fly rings around me (he grew up on video games). At first I did not enjoy flying because of fear of crashing. Now, I find flying really enjoyable and RELAXING and can hold my own with him.

My secret to successfully learning to fly was to go SLOW....(as in Slow Stick). Even though one of my flying buddies learned to fly on the T-hawk, he repeatedly crashed it and had it repaired many times (a normal person would have gotten discouraged!). The slow stick has extremely light wing loading and can fly so slowly that even an old beginner like me was able to learn. Now I have graduated to more aerobatic aileron planes and wings (elevons) and am having a ball.

Don't give up on your brother....I sure he also has the "right stuff".

Jerry
DoctorFive is offline Find More Posts by DoctorFive
Old Jun 26, 2004, 04:09 PM
Richmond VA
Joined Feb 2004
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
The T-Hawk is one tough bird. I still have the one I used while I was learning how to fly. The only tougher plane is an EPP foam Unicorn flying wing. It makes a great move up plane from the T-Hawk.

What are you going to use as a BL motor? I tried a Razor 300 running direct drive and it did not have enough power to overcome the larger cells required to push the motor, and since you can't gear it and run a larger prop, I gave up and went back to the OEM motor.

If you find a BL that works well, please post your results.

FoamCrusher

I don't know which one to start off with but I found this link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t+hawk+mega+16
with a T-Hawk that has a mega 16/15/4, stock 7 cell 900mAh batt, 6x3.5 prop. His T-Hawk seems to move very fast and hits all kinds of loops + rolls.
If anyone has used a BL set up for the T-Hawk please let us know which motors will work best.
v3611504 is offline Find More Posts by v3611504
Old Jun 26, 2004, 06:25 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
i'm not giving up on my brother by no means. even if he gets discouraged. he's going to learn (or i beat him to a bloody pulp! lol). i started to fly at 39, and now 43. i mite put him into my zagi, or combat wing. they bounce better
Old Jun 26, 2004, 06:29 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3611504
I don't know which one to start off with but I found this link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t+hawk+mega+16
with a T-Hawk that has a mega 16/15/4, stock 7 cell 900mAh batt, 6x3.5 prop. His T-Hawk seems to move very fast and hits all kinds of loops + rolls.
If anyone has used a BL set up for the T-Hawk please let us know which motors will work best.

I think the owner of the linked plane is doing some exaggerating. I have two Mega 16/15/4's in other planes, both pushers on 10-cell KAN 1050's with APC 6x4 props, and they go nowhere near as well as what is shown on that video. My Unicorn wing is ~21 oz, and the EPP S&B Me-163 Komet is ~16 oz [both weights with all equp but without battery pack]. They both are pretty docile on 8 cells, but come alive on 10. A 3S1P lipo pack of the new 10-12C Thunder Power lipos would make either one jump, but on 7 NiMH cells, even at ~13 oz w/o cells, that motor would be a dog. With the reported coroplast tail, the plane has to be heavier than the original. Something is wrong in the stated specs.

Plus, how is he getting a R/E plane to roll like that? Any of the planes that I have seen with any roll rate at all have ailerons. When I tried a Himax 2025-4100 on a APC 6x4 in the T-H, the plane would not roll and would barely go inverted for any length of time due to the upturned wing tips.

I have sent him a PM asking about the specs for what was shown in the video and will report if he answers.

Still looking for the best motor for this old warhorse.

FC