HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:00 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Yellowstone/Tetons and everywhere inbetween pictures!!!

I just got back from a week and a half long vacation out to yellowstone and the Tetons. brought my AP slowstick for pictures at everyplace i stopped. heres the order of places i was: Chamberlain, SD ; Sundance, WY ; Devils Tower, WY; Cody, WY ; Lake Yellowstone, Yellowstone ; old faithful, Yellowstone ; rosevelt, Yellowstone ; canyon village, Yellowstone ; Garder, MT ; and finnally Coulter Bay, Grand Teton nation park! ive got over 30 pics from all those places!! of course i picked the best for here. im not going to give a description for each picture but a general description of each place.

Chamberlain, SD
1st stop on the 1.5 week trip. in the middle of south dakota next to the missouri river. besides that not much out there. that hotel was the only one with wireless internet

Sundance, WY
a quiet town of less then 2000 i would guess. in the eastern section of Wyoming. i also went to the badlands and Mt. rushmore but those places were WAY to windy to fly.

Devils Tower, Wyoming
A 800+ foot tower in the middle of nowhere. and anceint indian ground. might have a good picture for the next AP contest

Cody, Wyoming
a small town about 50 miles outside yellowstone national park. mountian pretty much surronding it. last point of cell phone service for over 5 days

Lake Yellowstone, Yellowstone national park
A huge lake in the middle of the park. mountains making a GREAT backdrop. winds were perfect in the morning except it was 30 degrees every morning! talk about cold fingers.

Old Faithful inn, Yellowstone
Old faithfull in celebrating its 100th anneversery this year and i got to sleep in it! great hotel with and excellent view. geysars all over! the last one is old faithful!

Rosevelt, yellowstone.
This was our stop for the Chuck Wagon dinner which brought us out to the middle of nowhere for a cookout. there was Steak, cornbread, and much more food!! really good. bison galore on the way out there.

Canyon village, Yellowstone
a lodge about a mile away from the famous "grand canyon of yellowstone" which was a Magnificant sight! you can see it in one of the pictures. the mist is from the waterfalls.

Gardner, Montana
Just outside the north entrance by mamoth springs. there is an arch there that marks th entrance of the park and is over 100 years old!

Coulter Bay, Grand Tetons
This was probably the most scenic of the pictures. not saying the others arent good. here is a look at some of the moutain (including Grand Teton 13200+ feet high!) too bad the idaho farmers are stealing the water from the lake as you can see in the marina pic. there isnt much marina left.

This whole process of getting these pictures ready took almost 2 hours so i hope you guys like them! any questions ill be happy to answer and if there is another picture from a certain place you would like to see just tell me and ill try to post another! thanks for looking!

Kyle

P.S. sorry for the long post and sorry dial up people if it takes too long. im working on the video i got rfom devils tower so ill try to post that tomorrow!
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:30 PM
csc
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2004
251 Posts
Awesome! The Tetons are always great to see.

What camera do you have mounted? Any pics of it on your plane?

Thanks for posting.
Clark
csc is offline Find More Posts by csc
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:31 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,908 Posts
I'm dial up, but it was well worth the time it took. Camera? No problem with the park rangers?

Eut
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:37 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Condor
I'm dial up, but it was well worth the time it took. Camera? No problem with the park rangers?

Eut
well im using a kodak easyshare 3.1 MP camera with CCD sensor. parkrangers? no problems at all! in the tetons a security car came over looked at my plane and watched for awhile then drove off. thats what my dad said. so no problems. ill post a pic of the plane in a bit. it all disassembled.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:41 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
Very very nice. You have some real keepers there to go along with the memories of your trip. Can't wait to see more Devils Tower.

Close encounters!!
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:46 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisk
Very very nice. You have some real keepers there to go along with the memories of your trip. Can't wait to see more Devils Tower.

Close encounters!!
i got a good video of devils tower, its like 30 MB so im gonna try to get it below 8 without to much loss of quality. u want more of devils tower?
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:49 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
Oh yea. You do know that was the star in a movie, right?
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:54 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Wow! Super pics. A few are real jaw droppers...
Isn't it fun to travel and take AP pics along the way? I love doing that.

Sure is an awesome, unique way to chronicle the trip in photos.

Thanks for taking the time to present them here, I know from experience it's very time consuming to go through all those pics and put them in order with descriptions, etc.

I'm thinking of finding threads with the best photos/stories behind them and putting the links into one thread in up top. This one definitely qualifies.
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:59 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nolan (eBird)
Wow! Super pics. A few are real jaw droppers...
Isn't it fun to travel and take AP pics along the way? I love doing that.

Sure is an awesome, unique way to chronicle the trip in photos.

Thanks for taking the time to present them here, I know from experience it's very time consuming to go through all those pics and put them in order with descriptions, etc.

I'm thinking of finding threads with the best photos/stories behind them and putting the links into one thread in up top. This one definitely qualifies.
thanks Steve! u know i was thinking of flying over The grand canyon of yellowstone i was surprised i didnt get in trouble. i sent them (yellowstone) and email and they said NO flying in the park. i didnt get stoppeed once. although it was usually like 6 in the morning. when it was 30 out. it snowed once lol.

Fdisk: my dad mentioned devils tower being in a movie or somthin like that. doesnt come to mind though. could you refresh my memory? i forgot the name of the movie
Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:04 PM
StereoAerial Photographer
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2003
909 Posts
Kyle - Excellent pictures. Thank you very much for sharing the photos from your trip. You really captured some amazing shots!
John
jlballou is offline Find More Posts by jlballou
Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:09 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlballou
Kyle - Excellent pictures. Thank you very much for sharing the photos from your trip. You really captured some amazing shots!
John
hey you got some amazing shots from Half dome! my favorite national park, its the least i can do
Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:34 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
i got a rough picture of the setup. its roughly installed because i need to get some sleep but heres the setup

plane: slow stick
Motor: nippy 1812
battery: tanic 2200 3 cell
prop 9-7? maybe 9-6 APC (more pitch for elevation more then 7000 feet over normal flying level.
Camera: kodak easyshare cx 6330 3.1 MP CCD image sensor camera.
heres a pic of the setup. like i said its just slapped on there.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:03 AM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
ok after about 30 minutes ive uploaded my devils tower video. its about 30 meg so please save it to your computer first for bandwith purposes. devils tower video 30 MB hold on dial up users! im still making a smaller version of the video hopefully to post tonight! should be under 8 meg i hope. hope thats not to big.

Small version devils tower 7 MB
Last edited by Kyle G.; Jun 21, 2004 at 12:23 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:23 AM
Tied to the whipping post
Warm-Sunny-no-Wind, Az.
Joined Dec 2003
2,479 Posts
Most Excellent! Been to all those places in the past and your series brought back many pleasant memories! I am shocked however, I didn't see any pictures of "Wall Drug Store" which has signs on every major road urging you to see it! Spent a month back in 97 running around in our RV seeing all of this but from the ground. I see a few custom postcards here. Wife was very impressed!

Rgds,

Mike
DangerBird is online now Find More Posts by DangerBird
Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:25 AM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerBird
Most Excellent! Been to all those places in the past and your series brought back many pleasant memories! I am shocked however, I didn't see any pictures of "Wall Drug Store" which has signs on every major road urging you to see it! Spent a month back in 97 running around in our RV seeing all of this but from the ground. I see a few custom postcards here. Wife was very impressed!

Rgds,

Mike
WALL DRUG!!! i did go there. saw signs like 700 miles before it in south dakota! we went there right after the badlands which winds were over 25 mph. i wouldve gotten some pics of it though if it hadent been to windy. thanks for the compliment! a few might make some nice postcards!

kyle