HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2002, 03:22 AM
Joined Jan 2002
4 Posts
looking for Airco DH-2 plans

I'm looking for various DH-2 plans and reviews of those plans if anyone has used them.

interested in information such as
how scale is it?
are the exterior lines to scale or is the entire build from rib spaceing to elevator size to scale?
if the entire build isn't scale, how easy is the build?
what are the flight characteristics?
do you spend most your time recovering from flat spins?

thanks for the assistance,
Dan Tedrick
dtedrick is offline Find More Posts by dtedrick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2002, 06:10 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
What cell count and motor size are you thinking of?

There was a DH2 plan for Sp400s in FSM a while back by Peter Rake I think.

There's a 1/5th scale wet plan in the Nexus range which would modify nicely.

Looking at the huge size of the tail surfaces on the real one, one would have to get the CG seriously wrong to get it into a flat spin.

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Jan 16, 2002, 06:57 AM
Oz Member
Near Mallala, South Oz
Joined Nov 2001
161 Posts
G'Day dan,
I had the Peter Rake plans that Gordon mentioned and also the Shane Harding one's that came with RCM&E in Oct. 2001. I was out to build a "quicky" so I opted for the Shane harding one with some of Peter Rakes ideas incorporated. The harding one is definately "less scale" but it depends what your after. The article that acompanies the Rake one also had great three-views, photos of the real thing, colour shcemes, etc. As I said thje Harding one is a quicker, and easier, but less scale job. I built it with the following mods: Geared 400 (mini-olympus) driving a master airscrew 8x4 prop, instead of the 5mm dowel for LE/TE I used actual LE and TE stock, I used the gun and dummy engine details from the Rake plans. The undercarriage I made from 3mm fibre rod and 1/8 x 1/2 balsa (I'd use a wire unercarrige like Rake's next time, it's the weak point of the model)
The end product may not be as scale, but I absoloutly love it! It looks great in the air, sounds unbelievable "real" with the gearbox noise resonating through the structure, and flies fantastically indoors and at the park. My son flew it our last indoor meat last weekend, and everybody else landed their aircraft when it took off so they could stare at it! (And take videos!)Sorry about the long reply, but as you can gather I'm rather happy with the beast, and thought I'd share!
Here it is where it looks best: in the air!
Ragnar is offline Find More Posts by Ragnar
Old Jan 16, 2002, 06:27 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4 Posts
thanks for the info

I'm trying to hunt down back issues of those two mags right now. hopefully there are still some available.

I want to build a 1/3 or larger fully scale model and a smaller knock about model for the small park I usually fly at.

I haven't thought too much about how I'll power the larger model, most likely an Astro 40G and 20 cells or so.

Ragnar: your plane looks awesome.

thanks for the info. if anyone else knows of any other plans or even kits for the Airco DH-2, I'd still like to hear about them.
dtedrick is offline Find More Posts by dtedrick
Old Jan 16, 2002, 06:51 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
dtedrick,go to www.turnkeyrc.com they are offering a laser cut kit and plans.sp400/37"w.s. also www.clevelandairline.com happy landings.stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Jan 17, 2002, 01:10 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
Go to http://www.modelflying.co.uk/pages/index.cgi and search on DH 2

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Jan 17, 2002, 07:49 AM
Monson,MA
Joined Mar 2000
524 Posts
The plans that appeared for the DH-2 in Flying Scale Models about one year ago are by Mike Roach, which the Turnkeyrc short kit is based on. The Turnkey web site has a link to the supplier of those plans....
Frank Rys is offline Find More Posts by Frank Rys
Old Jan 20, 2002, 08:59 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,429 Posts
Ragnar ya ole rustic roo how are then ?. Hey thats a great shot really looks the part.

Sluf7
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Apr 22, 2002, 03:04 AM
Buffalo, NY USA
Joined Sep 2001
3 Posts
Airco DH-2 Plans

The plans you are looking for can be obtained from Cleveland Model & Supply Co. they are on the web at; www.clevelandairline.com . They have tons of plans and great service. I bought the very plan you are looking for from them for a DH-2 with a 48" wp. The plans are fantastic I plan on framing them when I am done Building my model.

Good Luck!
jca120 is offline Find More Posts by jca120