sen
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
12 Posts
thunder tiger raptor 30 heli

Hi

I have a raptor 30 heli.

I have yet to build it.

I like to get some help out there on what are the stuff i need to look out for when building my raptor 30 heli.

Any advise will be much appreciated.

Also, is a gyro a really neccessary piece of equipement that is needed on heli ? What function does the gryro do ?

Thanks
sen is offline Find More Posts by sen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2002, 11:10 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
Yes you need a gyro. It keeps the tail rotor in check.

You may get more info in the regular Heli section or RC Online though, this is the Electric Area.

Good Luck!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jan 16, 2002, 09:04 AM
Dugway/Stansbury Park UT
Joined Oct 2000
363 Posts
Just say "no" to the craptor! If it is your first heli Go LMH corona, Hornet, or logo 10. No carb adjustment and NO SLIME! Then expand to an IC model.

--Gi
giheli is offline Find More Posts by giheli
Old Jan 16, 2002, 09:26 AM
I'd rather be flying!
SOCAL
Joined May 2001
274 Posts
gy401 and servo from www.helihut.com
9cap radio from www.helihut.com
os engine(throw away the tt if you have it)
starter
glow starter
6mm hex starter extension.
Antyoo is offline Find More Posts by Antyoo
Old Jan 16, 2002, 11:47 AM
No "R" !!!!!!!
Where Spacemen Live (TX)
Joined Jan 2000
1,086 Posts
Sen,

Hello. I don't want to discourage helicopter talk, but this message board is for electric helicopters only (unless you are converting your Raptor to electric ).

Try these web sites for Raptor info

www.rconline.com
www.runryder.com
www.rotory.com

And, Yes, you need a gyro. It keeps the tail stable and easy to control.
Fitz Walker is offline Find More Posts by Fitz Walker
Old Jan 17, 2002, 04:00 AM
Joined Mar 2001
47 Posts
raptor is a great heli

I know it is the wrong forum, but Ikarus could learn a lot about build quality from the thunder tiger (not including the engine). All the parts on my raptor fit much nicer than on my eco 8.

Kind of like a mid eighties domestic car versus a japanese car.
Quality is job 1.1
jtthebiggafigga is offline Find More Posts by jtthebiggafigga
Old Jan 17, 2002, 11:38 AM
I'd rather be flying!
SOCAL
Joined May 2001
274 Posts
you haven't seen quality until you put a hirobo shuttle sceadu together.

a raptor is good but it has tons of slop. the sceadu only has slop in the mixer base(hey they have to leave some room for upgrades)

good luck with your raptor
Old Jan 17, 2002, 07:23 PM
Japan
Joined Jan 2002
51 Posts
Sen,

Buy a heli radio and gyro and then buy a nice electric heli. Learn with that then build your Raptor later.

BTW: The Hirobo Shuttle (any model) is two(2) generations behind the Raptor. The Concept blew it away in the 80's as did the Raptor (present). I've had/have all three. You want to see quality? Order the X-Cell Pro2 or 3 Graphite kit!!! Wow!

Ok, I know this is an electric forum.

Where did I stash my Piccolo? Ah, there it is. Time to chase the Ol' lady around the house.

Happy hovering!

Randy
RandyD is offline Find More Posts by RandyD
Old Jan 17, 2002, 07:43 PM
I'd rather be flying!
SOCAL
Joined May 2001
274 Posts
the sceadu is only like 4 months old
Old Jan 17, 2002, 08:23 PM
Japan
Joined Jan 2002
51 Posts
Antyoo,

The Sceadu "is like" the continuation of the 1980's Shuttle. That's why it's called the Hirobo Shuttle Sceadu. Don't get me wrong, I like Hirobo products, it's just that they seem to lack any type of cutting edge advancement. Here in Japan the hobby shops are filled with heli's. TSK, KALT, Kyosho and Hirobo. TSK and Kalt go wild with new ideas, Kyosho is trying, but Hirobo seems stuck.

I can tell you that the Shuttle flies no mater what though. I flew one for a guy that had an old 7 channel gold case Futaba airplane radio, no gyro and one main rotor blade installed backwards. I wondered why it took full power to get into a hover? But it did. I had just landed my heli, he was over in the corner with his already running (rotor spinning) and handed me the radio and asked me to see if I could hover it for him.

Ain't heli's great?!!! OK, the Piccolo is charged again, where's the cat?

Randy
Old Jan 18, 2002, 01:33 AM
I'd rather be flying!
SOCAL
Joined May 2001
274 Posts
ur right about x-cell helis. the perform very well and really hold up in a crash.

i have a freind thatlost collective control while doing a funnel and after cutting power and hitting the ground sideways,

he only had to clean it up

btw it was a fully upgraded SE
Old Jan 18, 2002, 01:44 AM
Japan
Joined Jan 2002
51 Posts
He was a lucky guy! I smashed my Pro2 pretty bad! Almost cried! OK, I'll be honest, I did shed a tear.

Randy
Old Jan 18, 2002, 01:44 PM
I'd rather be flying!
SOCAL
Joined May 2001
274 Posts
wow, i would cry too if a smashed up such a nice and expensive heli.

why did it crash?
Old Jan 18, 2002, 02:19 PM
Joined Dec 2001
220 Posts
sceadu

RandyD ..."TSK and Kalt go wild with new ideas, "
well i think you not updated little bit.
TSK is history (new ideas ??? hehe) , company closed !
KALT ???? where amd what exactly ...
Kyosho ,Few ppl buy Kyosho helis today at least in the US.
Maybe their new Caliber 30 will change that if ppl will stand it looks.

in 30/50 class ppl buy MOSTLY today Rap30 and Sceadu .
Sceudu is the higher quality from both.

in 60 class Freya,Vigor,Fury,Rap60 - those are the best sellers

Sceadu = shuttle ...NO WAY. if they still call it shuttle its only for marketing reason, to keep their shuttle customer to move up.

Sceudu is a baby FREYA , nothing common with the old shuttle.
Freya is based on the Eagle 2 design that known as the World Champ of 89 , 97 and 1999. so to say not cutting edge ???

"Hirobo seems to be stuck" : the whole line is new Sceadu30 is new Sceadu 50
Freya last year -'won Heli of they year 2001"
New Freya EX , Freya 90 on the way and they just announced on the new Freya WC ($2500). when did TSK announce on new heli ??
danny_isr is offline Find More Posts by danny_isr
Last edited by danny_isr; Jan 18, 2002 at 02:21 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2002, 03:48 PM
Japan
Joined Jan 2002
51 Posts
Danny,

Slow down! Looks like I woke a bear! Yes, you're correct about TSK. However, kits are still on the shelfs here in my local hobby shop and a lot of my Japanese friends have them. And, they are nice kits.

I guess cutting edge was a bad choice of words. Sorry. I mean't that in the .30 size entry level heli sense. Not a high end .30 size heli or bigger high end stuff.

We all have our view and here's mine regarding the helicopters.

I'm going on nine years living in Japan. I like to be different (and boy am I different!). So, ever since moving here I have stayed away from local products except for my first helicopter (Concept) in the 80's. My second heli was the GMP Legend Elite (Hirobo half breed) from the USA with a bunch of Japanese parts. My nitro heli's are X-Cell Pro's (USA) and my son's is the Raptor (Taiwan). I use Futaba radio gear, the Japanese are mostly into JR because it is said to be exclusively made in Japan. I'm not sure about that one though.

As far as best sellers go, again you are correct. But best seller doesn't always mean the best. It simply means that most think the product is a good value for the price. And that makes a lot of sense. Hence, Raptor!

My X-cell's aren't best sellers! But they are the best! It's just that most aren't going to shell out $1700 to $1800 for an R/C helicopter kit.

Back to my original post that stirred this issue. If you take a Raptor .30 and any other .30 size heli that is equal in price, which is the best deal for the money?

I chose the Raptor for my son as a trainer and have been totally satisfied.

Trust me these Japanese guys are chomping at the bit to get thier hands on an X-Cell or Thunder Tiger kit. But thier way of thinking over here keeps thier R/C paradigm flowing. They won't make the leap and try something new. When I take the X-Cell's or the Raptor to the field most of the time is spent watching these guys take pictures.

OK, back to electric stuff now. Wait until they see the Piccolo!

Randy