HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2004, 06:28 PM
Teesside Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2004
149 Posts
Please help i dont know what to buy, driving me CRAZY

Right i really dont know what to buy so im looking for some help.
I know for definate i want an E-Starter plane so thats that sorted.
Now for the electrics. S
I think ill get the GWS Naro reciever, i hope the range will be long enough.
Stick with the 300C motor?
The real problem is with the power. I want the parts to last and hopefully use them in future models. For this reason i was thinking about getting a larger ESC than the ICS300, and for power i can find anyway in the UK to get the 2/3AA NiMH packs that i will need, but i can find LiPos easy which is what i will probably want in the long run.

My question, is it a good idea to get a decent charger like ProPeak Prodigy that can do the lot and get LiPos or NiMh, or maybe get a cheaper charger and find some NiMH / NiCd packs for know and get a separate Lipoly charger.
What kind of flight times can i expect from NiCDs or NiMH packs?

I know there are a lot of questions but i will apreciate any replies.
doctor_prox is offline Find More Posts by doctor_prox
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2004, 07:00 PM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
You should look into the triton charger. Start with Ni-mh and forget ni-cd's not worth it for parkies. Study and read up on lipos before you get into them. Ni-mh will give good flight times. And yes buy a good charger that does the whole lot. It will save you money in the long run. You can do your battery/charger reserch in the batteries forum.
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:57 AM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
I agree Triton is a great charger. Nimh's can steal a bit of power if you don't get good ones. Kan cells are almost as good as nicads, but cheaper nimh's are like running with one less cell (compared to nicads).

I'd definately get at least a 20amp ESC - and ideally one that has programeable low voltage cut-off (like Castle Creations) - you'll need this eventually for lipos.

Check out the Hitec 555 receivers - again if you want a good one to start with these are great.

Hope this helps

Peter
Peter Young is offline Find More Posts by Peter Young
Old Jun 20, 2004, 05:24 AM
Joined Jun 2004
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Young
Nimh's can steal a bit of power if you don't get good ones. Kan cells are almost as good as nicads, but cheaper nimh's are like running with one less cell (compared to nicads).
Are you saying NiMHs are cheaper than NiCD but not as good? I thought they gave longer flight times
Old Jun 20, 2004, 08:31 AM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,736 Posts
Nimihs can give longer flight time because they have greater capacity for the same size and weight. For example, an 800 ma nicad is the same size and weighs the same as a 1700 ma nimih.
Foamaholic is online now Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Jun 20, 2004, 03:32 PM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_prox
Are you saying NiMHs are cheaper than NiCD but not as good? I thought they gave longer flight times
No, sorry for not being clearer - nimh's can deliver slightly lower voltage than nicads (even thought they are all called 1.2V cells). They do have a greater capacity than the equivalent size nicads (although may weigh more), but unless you get a good quality nimh you will probably pay a voltage penalty. If a plane is only marginally powered then this might be significant.

I fly a S&B Komet with 8 cell 1050 Kan packs (nimh). These are the same size at 600AE nicad cells, but are as good if not better in terms of voltage and current delivery - similar to the higher performance nicad of the same size (500AR).

This is not an aspect of the hobby I'm expert in - I know it's to do with higher internal resistence of nimhs, but who knows what that actually means (I'm sure someone else here will explain).

So, in response to the original question, I would say yes, get good quality nimh's rather than nicads. But do some homework first and work out what are good quality (high voltage and discharge) nimh's. Otherwise you might end up with cheaper cells that fly like a nicad pack with one less cell (in terms of voltage).
Last edited by Peter Young; Jun 20, 2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 04:14 PM
Joined Jun 2004
149 Posts
Ah right, does anyone know of any good ones in the UK then?
Old Jun 20, 2004, 09:17 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,736 Posts
The 4/5 AAA 720 nimihs are real good. I've used them a lot with a gws 350 motor. Don't know if you can get them there.
Foamaholic is online now Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Jun 20, 2004, 09:27 PM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
If you got money to spend get the Triton ($115+ship. on eBay), if you're a bit short on cash get the Hobbico MKII Field Charger( about $50 in most shops). The MKII charges all types of packs including LI-poly (on Li-Ion setting and 3cells max/1 amp max). I used it ever since I started flying (which is drop in a bucket compared to most guys here) and never ever had problems charging my Li-polys. I even custom made some Li-poly packs from Erickson and those run great.
supi7 is offline Find More Posts by supi7
Old Jun 21, 2004, 01:47 AM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
IMO, If you can afford it, buy a decent charger now, you will want to charge Lithium batteries eventually, (see: if you can afford it), if not, I recommend the Wattage PF-12 parflyer charger, charges 4-12 cells Ni-Mh or Nicad at 200 -2000mah, it is what I use now, but still, in retrospect, I wish I wouldve sprung for a Triton charger(or similar), as that is now the only thing holding me back from taking the "Li-Poly Leap"

Jay
Bernoulli~Bros is offline Find More Posts by Bernoulli~Bros
Old Jun 21, 2004, 04:51 AM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
www.cheapbatterypacks.com
Old Jun 21, 2004, 05:14 AM
Joined Jun 2004
149 Posts
Might go for this one then what do you think, does lipo too http://www.ripmax.com/ProductFrames/O-IP2800.html remember im in the UK and things are like twice the price here >
Old Jun 21, 2004, 05:42 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
The Pro-peak is a pretty good charger provided you're going to be sticking to fairly small models for a while. On larger batteries you'll soon start to feel the 3A limit.

Overlander.co.uk is about the easiest place to get batteries in the UK though not really the cheapest. They have a fairly good range. For cheaper you have to decide exactly what you want and then find the right supplier. The smaller suppliers tend only to sell a limited range of batteries.

BTW if you fill in the "Location" entry in your details (MyRcGroups/EditProfile then look under Additional Information) you won't need to keep saying you're from the UK . Lots of us are you know.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Last edited by steve lewin; Jun 21, 2004 at 05:47 AM.