SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2004, 02:27 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Brushless Powered GWS A10 To Glass Or Not?

Hi Guys, I wanted to get some suggestions on my idea while my shop is being redone I am building inside.
So I picked up a GWS A10 with EDF 55 fans and Himax 2025-3600 motors and two Phoenix 10's and a couple of 3S TP 2100 Lipos. I havent decided on whether I want to glass the plane or not? I would use thinned West Systems and 3/4 oz light cloth and then airbrush the plane. I will have plenty of power for ROG and Handlaunch but I am debating glassing it I know that some guys have. I am using carbon fiber rods for spars instead of the wood dowels and will run some CF tape on the bottom of the wing? I also bought the skinny plastic and foam wheels for the landing gear if I want to ROG. Here is my color scheme the grey camo is what I am doing.
Thanks Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
Last edited by Joe Elston; Jun 19, 2004 at 02:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2004, 03:27 PM
Farr West, Utah USA
Joined Dec 2003
541 Posts
Joe,
On my GWS corsair I used .34 ounce cloth and Minwax polycrylic, I don't believe its as strong as epoxy but sure was easy to work with and dries within hours.
Erick
Jet Dreams is offline Find More Posts by Jet Dreams
Old Jun 19, 2004, 03:42 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
A10

Thanks Erick, that was an idea also. I have never used the
polycrylic or polyurethane with glass cloth. I may try it and see how it works, what did prime and paint the Corsair with Erick?
Thanks Joe
Old Jun 19, 2004, 03:46 PM
Farr West, Utah USA
Joined Dec 2003
541 Posts
I did not intend the corsair to be anything of show quality so I did not prime her and for paint I used some hobby water based stuff from walmart thinned for the airbrush. It turned out better than I expected. And added very little weight.
Jet Dreams is offline Find More Posts by Jet Dreams
Old Jun 19, 2004, 05:31 PM
Eine melodie im wind
North Carolina, United States
Joined Jun 2003
444 Posts
Hi,try this link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...nish+my+planes by J Morgan he does a beautiful job on his craft with fiberglass cloth an water base poly.

Dahl
Buzzard is offline Find More Posts by Buzzard
Old Jun 19, 2004, 11:02 PM
Fly 'em fast!
Rockville, MD
Joined Aug 2002
885 Posts
Joe,

I have a brushless A-10 just like yours: EDF-55 with Himax 2015-3600s. My suggestion: Glass the plane. I converted mine from EDF-50 after flying it for a year that way. Mine is not glassed, but I'm going to redo it as a glassed plane shortly. Here's why:

1) Glassing will minimize hanger rash. Trust me, this combo will get lots of attention. Folks love this airplane and love the way the brushless setup performs. Bottom line - it's cool.

2) You will crash this plane. I don't know about you, but there are days when I go out and do stupid things while flying. With the GWS foam being what it is, breaks happen relatively easily. The tailfeathers and nacelle mounts are relatively weak and the wings will flex if you don't reinforce them. My A-10 has Lexan tape on the undersides that minimized flex, however glassing would be much better. I'm planning on getting a slope kit and redoing it as a glassed airframe and moving my gear after a crash that mangled my nose a bit.

Just my opinion, but I'd still leave off the gear. ROG is fun, but the plane looks much better in the air without gear. It hand launches well and flys at lands almost at a walk.

Best of luck with this plane. I LOVE mine. It performs extremely well and always draws attention. Folks always love to bash the kit until you mention yours is bushless. Then they say "Ohh, I want to see that fly". Good luck and let us know how yours comes out.

Here's mine. In this picture it has EDF-50s and gear. Now it's gearless and has EDF-55s with brushless motors. It also has scarred nose, but we won't get into that...
RCMustang is offline Find More Posts by RCMustang
Old Jun 19, 2004, 11:38 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
GWS A10 Glassing

Thanks Much for the reply RCMustang. Your A10 looks very sharp I like that color scheme I have a similar one that came with my decals. I will defintely glass the plane. I am glad to hear that it fly's really well with the Himax brushless motors. I am also considering leaving the landing gear off as well. The videos I have seen of the A10 from Eflighline.com are great the plane really flys nice.
Thanks Much for the Advice I dont do much foam smaller plane but the A10 was too good to pass up.
Thanks Joe
Old Jun 20, 2004, 07:41 AM
Fly 'em fast!
Rockville, MD
Joined Aug 2002
885 Posts
The E-flightline video is a very accurate representation of how the A-10 flies. I've been wanting to shoot video of mine since I put the brushless motors in, but it still hasn't been done yet. I recognize your decal sheet. That's where I got some of my ideas for my chamo scheme.

If you want to see pictures of how I converted the EDF-50 to the EDF-55, check out this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215198 . It shows how I placed the speed controls and modified the battery compartmit to fit the LiPolys. I used Tanics, so my config will be different than your TP packs, but you'll get the idea.

Can't wait to see your hog! It's a great flying plane.
RCMustang is offline Find More Posts by RCMustang
Old Jun 22, 2004, 04:48 PM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
Hey can I get a full size copy of that decal sheet, Im redoing my GWS A-10 with Vasas and Hackers w/Lipo and mine is gray from the box, I was going to do the blcak and gray scheem so so I dont have to repaint the whole plane.
JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ
Old Jun 22, 2004, 05:08 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
GWS A10 Decals

Jason, drop me a PM with your email and I will send you a copy if you want.
Joe
Old Jun 22, 2004, 05:21 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
A10 Decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJ
Hey can I get a full size copy of that decal sheet, Im redoing my GWS A-10 with Vasas and Hackers w/Lipo and mine is gray from the box, I was going to do the blcak and gray scheem so so I dont have to repaint the whole plane.
Jason, I bought those decals and the color 3 view with the color #'s and what you see on the post for only 1:00 dollar. They are on sale at Twobobs Aviation
http://www.twobobs.net Click on Two Bobs Decals and click on 1/32 size decals and its the first decal #32-003
For a dollar you cant beat the price.
Joe
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:58 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Yes. Glass it. Unfinished foam planes don't look that good for that long. Hangar rash makes them look bad, they are hard to clean...
Glass it and you will have a model you will KEEP, it will no longer be a semidisposeable foamie, but a real model!
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:28 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Glassed A10

Yep its getting glassed I agree with you ET the airframe needs to be glassed. I already have the hollow carbon fiber rods to replace the dowels. And I will run 1" .007 carbon fiber tape on the bottom of the wing before I glass it.
The only decision I need to make now is to install landing gear or leave it off and hand launch the plane?
Joe
Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:33 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Make the gear plug-in, have the best of BOTH worlds. Worth a little extra time, weight, and thought.
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:41 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
GWS A10 Landing gear

Cool, an idea I had not thought about I will build the gear that way because I can fly it off the running track at the local high school and I have some foam rubber wheels for the plane as well.
Thanks Joe