Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 19, 2001, 05:21 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Great Planes C-20 ESC failure

Wondering if anyone else has had a mysterious failure of their C-20 ESC's. I had flown my little scratch build flying wing through 2 batteries, and was on my third, when something strange happened. I had throttled back after turning the plane to do a low pass, when all of the sudden the plane went to full throttle . A few seconds later the motor cut out all together and I had no control of the plane. Fortunately the elevons twitched themselves into a nice flat gliding circle and I recovered the plane, no damage (it certainly didn't hurt that the wheat it landed in was waist high ). Opening the plane I discovered that something had shorted out on the ESC, unsoldering the batteries negative lead and one of the MOSFETs. Removing the clear plastic cover (which had melted open anyway), showed a few components had also unsoldered.

I know my battery was plugged in correctly, since I had been flying the plane for almost a minute.

Anyone else out there have this happen?
yb2normal is offline Find More Posts by yb2normal
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2001, 09:52 PM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,691 Posts
My C-20s (2 of them) seem ok.

What was your power system (motor, prop, pack) that you were using with it?

Did you install the schotky diode?
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
Old May 19, 2001, 10:13 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
First two packs were 7 cell kr600ae's.
The pack on the fateful flight was 7 cells 1100mah NIMH pack from Hobby Lobby. Motor was a Permax 6v Speed 400 direct drive to an APC 5.5x4.5 "electric prop".

I didn't install the diode because I understood from the directions (and an article here on ezone) that it wasn't required.

Thanks for any advice you can give
yb2normal is offline Find More Posts by yb2normal