HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2004, 08:42 AM
RC-Nut-Job!
New York
Joined Jul 2001
970 Posts
Question
Covering the T-33 Shooting Star (Kyosho)?

Hello one and all:

I would like to cover my T-33, its about 4 years old now and I would like to upgrade it (motorsystem and fan already upgraded 16/15/2, woooo she flys really nice)

So I would like to give a freash look, I'm not looking to glass it or silk it and dope it....Just a simple covering....

The fuse is not a problem ...my question what would be the best way to cover the wings........They worrie me as the foam is VERY thin and I'm afraid even the lowest heat will cause warping......

Can anyone one who has any input or maybe has done this particular job them selves shed some info as to how I can do it.

Please give the name of covering, the heat you used and also if you sprayed on any type of adhesive first to help make covering stick better.

I would greatly appreciate it.

Best flying to all...Clear sky's.....

James
Lv2Fly is offline Find More Posts by Lv2Fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2004, 09:41 AM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,609 Posts
t-33

i used chrome ultracoat plus, red ultracoat plus, and auto pint stripe to cover my t-33.

the ultracoat plus has a sticky back. you can apply it and then add low heat to shrink it on.

my t-33 flies with the tip tanks (not shown). aveox 1114/4y , stock fan with aluminum spinner and collet, 12 cells (4s3p lithium soon). i would imagine that i have close to 70 flights on this airframe.
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Jun 18, 2004, 11:24 AM
RC-Nut-Job!
New York
Joined Jul 2001
970 Posts
Hi Kevin....

All I can say is that your T-33 is a work of art!

Can you please post the site I can order the alum spinner and collet or give part numbers to these items.

I also understand that Wemotec makes a fan ...what is the part number (anybody?) Please....

Also I just ordered the ultra coat plus. Thanks....
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:17 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,929 Posts
I tried using chrome monokote on one of mine...when I applied heat, it made the foam beads show through. This happens with just about any heat shrink covering I've tried over beaded foam. Glassing the fuse would probably be the best bet if you are concerned about surface finish. Chrome monokote might look good from 10 feet but get up close and yuck (if you're picky like me). I've used Ultracoat Plus on my Zagis and since it has the adhesive on it you don't need a whole lot of heat, but when you come to a compound curve you'll need to use heat to shrink the covering, so you're again faced with the beads showing through.

As for the wing, it's got a thin plastic layer for an outside skin. I suppose you could use Ultracoat Plus on it as once again it has sticky adhesive on it to begin with and you use the heat to make it stick even better. Ultracoat goes on at a lower temperature than Monokote so it should work fine, just don't apply too much heat. Glassing the wing would be a lot of work and the wing already has a fairly nice finish on it, it'd just be dead weight to add glass to it.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:33 PM
Van Nuys
Joined Mar 2004
1,048 Posts
nice job but that thing must fly like a brick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
i used chrome ultracoat plus, red ultracoat plus, and auto pint stripe to cover my t-33.

the ultracoat plus has a sticky back. you can apply it and then add low heat to shrink it on.

my t-33 flies with the tip tanks (not shown). aveox 1114/4y , stock fan with aluminum spinner and collet, 12 cells (4s3p lithium soon). i would imagine that i have close to 70 flights on this airframe.
demetrius is offline Find More Posts by demetrius
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:38 PM
RC-Nut-Job!
New York
Joined Jul 2001
970 Posts
what about using 3M-77 to get the monocoat to stick and apply heat only around edges to seal?

Anyone ever try this?
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:43 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,929 Posts
I don't think 3M 77 would go on thin enough and the texture would show through the film. Try Ultracoat plus, like I said it has a sticky back adhesive in it that's can also be heat activated to seal it down. The problem with the fuse is the compound curves, you have to use heat to get the covering to shrink around the curves or you get wrinkles.

The wing is the easy part, the fuse is what presents the greatest challenge. They should have used the thin plastic skin for the fuse like they did with the F-16, but hey, it's Kyosho, they could mess up an ice cream cone!
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:51 PM
RC-Nut-Job!
New York
Joined Jul 2001
970 Posts
Hi Ed...

In one of my post I state I ordered the ultracoat plus....But I worded it wrong.....I should have stated I need to order the utracoat plus.... I'm having a hard time finding it....
Any links you might post or PM me. Anyone have a few rolls to sell?
Old Jun 18, 2004, 01:05 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,929 Posts
There's another brand it's sold under that is the same thing...Oracover Plus I think, look for that. I think my last roll of Ultracoat Plus had Oracover printed on the roll. It's also called Orastick, I just searched on the net and that seems to be the proper name and is supposedly the same stuff as Ultracoat Plus. I don't think it's available in the states anymore though, almost every reference I found to it with yahoo was in German, so getting some might be tough. I'd be interested to know if anyone has found a US source for the stuff, I don know that Hangar 9 now imports Ultracoat (used to be brought in by Goldberg).

If you really want a chrome finish then you might try Testors Aluminum Plate buffing metalizer spray paint, at least on the wing. Don't try it on the foam, it well eat the foam. You just spray it on and rub with a cloth when dry and it looks almost like bare aluminum. You could glass the fuselage and then use it but it's tough to get a smooth finish and still be light.

If your wing isn't too beat up you could just paint it after filing in any surface imperfections. You could always do a camo job, there's lots of color schemes for the T-33 out there.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 01:31 PM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,609 Posts
" nice job but that thing must fly like a brick! "

if bricks fly about 80 mph and are easily handlaunched , then yes it flies like a brick.
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Jun 19, 2004, 02:05 AM
Van Nuys
Joined Mar 2004
1,048 Posts
i didnt mean to offend you in anyway but theres no way that plane will do 80mph! Maybe 70mph down wind
demetrius is offline Find More Posts by demetrius
Old Jun 19, 2004, 03:39 AM
England
Joined May 2000
1,486 Posts
I covered mine in a sticky backed atrists paper but I have no idea what its called (I was given some).

I think the T-33 in siver looks very good and the weight gain is not much.
Kyri is offline Find More Posts by Kyri
Old Jun 19, 2004, 09:44 AM
RC-Nut-Job!
New York
Joined Jul 2001
970 Posts
Kyri:

Thanks for that tip....on the artist foil paper...
I'll check it out if my search for Ultracote + fails...

I have located a few web sites that list they have ultracote +
Looks like I will have to wait for monday to see if I can reach them buy phone or they return my emails.

I will post the sites that I find "IF" they have it for anyone else looking for this product.

According to my search and info, Ultracote and Ultracote + is now sold under HANGER9 name.

I will post back.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 05:28 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
A Good Place To Start?

I can't seem to locate any of the the kyosho T33 are any still available?
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Old Jun 21, 2004, 04:10 PM
RC-Nut-Job!
New York
Joined Jul 2001
970 Posts
No longer in production.