SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2004, 01:26 AM
neLNDGuCNwkUP2isAgd1 !!!
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Apr 2004
71 Posts
How to fix Alfa Corsair Wing

I purchased this beautiful Alfa Corsair from Wolfman. But the USPS gods were angry. The damage is shown below...... Is it possible to fix this kind of damage, and if so, what is the best way to do it? I am possibly going to pursue a damage claim, but I am wondering if the hassle will be worth it. If it can be fixed easily enough perhaps I will forego it (the guy at the post office said I would have to give him the wing when I make my claim. I am a little leery of giving them the wing before they accept the claim!). I must say the Wolfman certainly went the extra mile in this instance! He did some leg work on filing a claim, called Hobby Lobby to enquire about spare parts & pricing, mailed the insurance receipt to me so I can file the claim, he even paypaled me half the price of a replacement wing! I would certainly recommend Wolfman to anyone considering a purchase (the plane was shipped in the original Alfa box, and was well wrapped in bubble and peauts).

Anyway, any help would be appreciated at this point!

Mike
MadJocko is offline Find More Posts by MadJocko
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2004, 03:11 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Sorry about the damage to your wing. Maybe the damage had something to do with the penny electrical taped to the wing;-)? I know it's not much weight but it can cause some pretty violent oscillations when loaded on a train or truck with a bad wheel.

Was the box damaged? If there was no visible box damage you're going to have a hard time convincing UPS the damage was their fault.

The fix is probably simple. Just use odorless CA or epoxy and get a lot on both sides of the crack. Then hold in place until the glue is set. Is there a spar inside the wing that you can see?

On positive thing is that if you add enough weight in the form of glue you can get rid of the penny. (not something I would have done anyway)
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jun 18, 2004, 04:38 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Why were all the packing peanuts and other filler put into the box?

All the Alfas I've gotten had no additional filler - and needed none. The wings and fuselage were held into the holders with bubble-wrap and taped in place. The slight damage I had when I got my Alfa P-51 was because the tape had given way and the wing was dented slightly.

The packing filler may have shifted and put extra pressure on the wing or popped it out of place.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jun 18, 2004, 07:55 PM
neLNDGuCNwkUP2isAgd1 !!!
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Apr 2004
71 Posts
Hi,

The box was crushed slightly on the end. Apparently just enough to crack the wing! I bought the plane used, so the peanuts were added. There is no spar, just hollow foam with plastic coating.

Thanks,

Mike
Old Jun 19, 2004, 01:42 PM
neLNDGuCNwkUP2isAgd1 !!!
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Apr 2004
71 Posts
So,

Do you think it would be better to cut the wing open more, so I can get to the inside better, or repair it from the "outside" only? Should I try to add reinforcement to the inside on the wing repair area, or just use epoxy?

Any ideas on the best repair method for plastic coated foam alfa's?

Thanks,

Mike
Old Jun 19, 2004, 05:49 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
What Im about to suggest may be considered "overkill" by some, Im sure you COULD patch it up without opening the wing up, but personally I would allways worry about the integrity of the wing after the surgery has been done.

Anyway, heres what Id do:
I would separate the outer wing from the plane, along the most prominent crack. Then I would make sure to fix the smaller cracks, making sure that the wing got back its original shape. After that I would use either 2mm depron or 1mm balsa glued to the INSIDE of the wing, making it protrude 1-2cm (half an inch to an inch aproximately) on either side of the crack. This would act as a reinforcement of the damaged area, plus it would make it a lot easier for you to glue the wing back together at the right angles. You could use one long strip on the "inside" of the upper surface and one on the lower, or you could make several "tabs". Either method would make the wing even stronger than original if done correctly. A long strip would add more wheight, but also more strength, but I really dont thing that anything more than 2-3 "tabs" on either surface will be neccessary.

As I said, this method, besides adding strength has the benefit of making it easier for you to put the repaired wing back on, plus it will let you work on the inside when you repair and reshape the wing to its original shape.

Regarding what adhesive to use, I would go with foamsafe CA and possibly kicker. Epoxy will add wheight that isnt neccessary here, plus it would be harder to get into the smaller cracks than CA would.

Using this mehod Im pretty confident that you can repair it so that it will be hard (though not impossible) to tell that the wing was ever damaged so badly. And you wont have to worry about the strength of THAT wing ever again!

Good luck!

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Last edited by Zeroaltitude; Jun 19, 2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 07:07 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,913 Posts
I have a Scorpio Spit that came damaged. The seller separated the wing from the fuse for shipping (I agreed to this) and the damage came out more severe than expected. This was compounded by even more damage during shipping. The tail feathers were pretty much trashed. I think I will use Anders' method to repair. Everything seems to be able to fit back together. Will post some photos in a new thread once I get started.

Good news is the seller was fair about it and gave me a refund for part of the payment.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Jun 19, 2004, 10:33 PM
neLNDGuCNwkUP2isAgd1 !!!
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Apr 2004
71 Posts
Thanks for the inputs!

I think I am more worried about the creases in the plastic on the opposite side of the wing cracks, than the actual cracks themselves! I would definitely want to reinforce that area if I fix the wing!

Mike