HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2002, 05:34 PM
In the middle
Joined Dec 2001
11 Posts
Zagi 3c with high start on flat ground

I live in a place where there is not hills or valleys, or if there are they are to far away.
I would like to get the zagi 3c but without a slope is it stil possible to fly it with a high start.(prehaps getting up draft from trees on a windy day?)
Thanks
mrman is offline Find More Posts by mrman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2002, 08:28 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,154 Posts
Buy a Zagi THL instead. It weighs a lot less and gives you a much better chance to thermal off a high start. Here's a link to a site on using the zagi THL on flat land.

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...hl/zagithl.htm
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Jan 15, 2002, 09:59 PM
Santa Paula, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
109 Posts
Hi starting a 3C

Hey there mrman,

I bungee launch my 3C all of the time at a local school yard. It works well and I get about 100ft launches on a short string. This gives a minute or two of flight time. It's also a great way to give kids some stick experience. They are almost unbreakable. Happy flying...Art
ZagiArt is offline Find More Posts by ZagiArt
Old Jan 16, 2002, 06:39 PM
Lifes 2 short, go sloping
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
I also highstart my Mugi (cloraplast flying wing) and it is a great way to practice some tough manuavers when the slopes are calm. I don't really high start it, but launch it "out" at about 50ft to get lots of speed and a great 30 seconds of high speed acrobatics.
It has helped my sloping alot because of the higher speeds and my need for faster reaction times.http://mugi.co.uk

launch on!
Vinnya42 is offline Find More Posts by Vinnya42
Old Jan 16, 2002, 08:29 PM
allergic to castrol oil
ontario canada
Joined Jan 2002
143 Posts
sailplane

why dont you get a real thermal ship, flat land soaring is the greatest your zagi is realy a ridge racer ramair
ramair is offline Find More Posts by ramair
Old Jan 20, 2002, 07:24 PM
In the middle
Joined Dec 2001
11 Posts
well is there a real thermal ship that a could buy around the same price of the zagi?(max 3 channel)
Old Jan 21, 2002, 06:01 AM
allergic to castrol oil
ontario canada
Joined Jan 2002
143 Posts
thermal ship

there are a lotof good 2 metre ships out there
it depends a lot whether you want to build a kit from the get go or you want to buy an arf [almost ready to fly]
i dont know what the price range is for a zagi but one plane you might want to check out is a aspire hangar 9 horizon hobbies ,it was featured in aug.2001 rcmodeler magizine.
if you dont already have a bungie high start electrics might be the way to go.
the price of a good high start is about the same as a charger for the aspire.
it is cheapest to buy a complete package [plane,with motor] than to start doing lots of r and d work to get a good combo.
if you want to fly with out the motor i think that most of these new electricgliders can be bought with out the motor option.if you want to build a kit from a box that would be the cheapest way to go but try to stay awayfrom flat bottom wings, they float on nothing but dont penitrate well,
although there are nice flat bottoms out there try to stay away from floaters [slow stable,forgiving] if you want to cover more ground loving for thermals.
p.s. about a hundred ft is all you will get with the zagi on high start and without lift not much of a sled run down,on the other hand;;;;700-800 ft climbs and 10 minutes[in no lift] glides are eazy with most gliders enjoy ramair
ramair is offline Find More Posts by ramair
Old Jan 21, 2002, 11:54 AM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,154 Posts
It sounds like you're just starting out.
It's tough to beat the 40 to 45 dollar price for a zagi. Just about the time you learn to control it you will be ready for a better thermal glider. The DAW 1-26HLG (60 inch wing span) is also a good beginner's glider. If your willing to spend a little more, the Mad Aircraft Highlander (2 meter) and is Epp and will take the punishment from a beginner and has more potential for soaring.

In the old days (3 to 4 years ago), most people started out with gliders or gas powered models. Now, there are all kinds of electrics for a beginner to learn with (Firebird, LiteStik, T52, Push-E Cat). You can thermal a lightweight T-52 or Push-e Cat, although the initial investment will be higher than a Zagi. I don't think much of planes like the Firebird or LiteStik because of their inability to handle any wind.

Best of luck
John
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Jan 21, 2002, 04:25 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
Is there a trick to hi-start launching a zagi? A buddy of mine has a THL and stuck a tow hook slightly forward of CG. But, try as they might, they couldn't get it to work- it would always go wild, and get horrible flutter. Damn things beat all to hell now; I think he's going to try to cut the middle out and slap a SP300 on it
Steve Fehr is offline Find More Posts by Steve Fehr
Old Jan 21, 2002, 04:51 PM
In the middle
Joined Dec 2001
11 Posts
I looked at the highlander and noticed that the wing loading was 9 ounces/square foot. Does this mean that the zagi thermal glyder(I'm not talking about the 3c now) would be better at thermaling since its wing loading is 4 ounces/square foot?. If it is then i would much rather get it then a glyder like the highlander that has a hudge wind spand and more money. I do have a little experience with indoor planes, and simulators so I'm not too worryed about indestructibility.
Thanks