SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2002, 05:19 PM
Monroe, NC, USA
Joined Jul 2001
104 Posts
My V tailed Pico Stick with ailerons

This is my V tailed Pico Stick. It's not legal for the NIMPRA stock class, but it is for the indoor racing we do here.

You can see a little more detail at PylonWorld - Indoor Pylon
PylonWorld is offline Find More Posts by PylonWorld
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2002, 09:40 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Details? How's it fly? I have heard of people trying ailerons on a pico stik with no success.
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Jan 16, 2002, 09:01 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,833 Posts
Don,

Nice job!

I like how the added fuselage fills the gap between the wings. It probably helps to add strength too.

Regards.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Jan 16, 2002, 12:55 PM
Monroe, NC, USA
Joined Jul 2001
104 Posts
It flies great. I have to use low rates unless I want to race or do aerobatics. Rolls are tricky with the full span wing, but we don't allow any wing area decrease in our racing class. It will do 8-10 ft loops on high rates.

On low rates, it's so gentle, but still responsive, my 7 year old son learned to fly with it. But he's been flying RealFlight for a while.

Even though there is no dihedral, it's very stable. In a high banked turn, it does lose altitude unless you make it a tight turn.

It uses Elevon mixing. When an elevator is up, the corresponding aileron is down. So it's got ailerons and flaperons.

It has carbon fiber laminate CA'd to the stick on both sides. The stick is turned sideways, and the prop shaft is above the stick. It was very easy to build, and things jut kinda worked out.

I disconnect the ailerons for the NIMPRA stock class, and it still flies fine, just not with the same roll authority.

It's been a fun plane.
PylonWorld is offline Find More Posts by PylonWorld