HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2004, 02:13 PM
Mountaintop, Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2003
71 Posts
Anyone else have problems with GWS radio batteries leaking?

Hi, my GWS radio batteries have leaked a few times after I use the radio. It's the older Dreamstarter radio (silver & gray). It uses 8 AA batteries. I have put in a new set of batteries each time, each time with a different brand of batteries. Can anyone tell me what's wrong, whether It's me who's doing something wrong or whether there's a defect in my radio. Thanks a lot

Wayne
C172 is offline Find More Posts by C172
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2004, 08:39 PM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
That is an odd problem. You might have the mod move this over to the GWS forum. Maybe someone there will know.
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Jun 16, 2004, 09:50 PM
Slingerlands, NY
Joined Feb 2003
947 Posts
A friend once forgot he had a pack of alkalines in his tx instead of his usual nicads and tried to recharge them. They leaked.

You aren't trying to recharge Alkalines, are you?
MooseFlyR is offline Find More Posts by MooseFlyR
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:46 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,205 Posts
I'll leave this here for the moment. It could be real good information.
Also sounds to me like you're trying to use non-rechargeable alkalines.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 17, 2004, 05:44 AM
Joined Aug 2003
71 Posts
Thanks for the response. I'm not trying to use non-rechargable alkalines. They are just AA. Am I supposed to use the rechargable ones in this radio? It only seems to be in the one spot that they are leaking. It has ruined one of my receptors (or whatever they're called-I'm not an electronics person). The first set of batteries I ever put in there was DuraSELL. I got them at the .99 cent store, thinking they where actually DuraCELL. The package was all the same color and everything, but anyhow, I figured it was just a cheap battery brand that caused the leak. The next time I used rayovac batteries. The third and final set was panasonic. It only seems to leak after I use it. Thanks.

Wayne
Old Jun 17, 2004, 07:25 AM
Point Cook Victoria
Joined May 2004
28 Posts
I think and this is only a guess ,but it may be that the batteries are trying to push to much out of themselves and therefore are venting ,sort of a pressure relief thing that most batteries have .Usually this only happens when you pump more into them than they can handle when charging .
firestang is offline Find More Posts by firestang
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:40 AM
Joined Aug 2003
71 Posts
I am just using batteries that are non-charging, but I just replace them with new batteries when they run out of juice. I think that I made the impression that I was using the rechargable kind. I'm sorry. Thanks.

Wayne
Old Jun 17, 2004, 01:01 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,205 Posts
Oh. I was under the impression that you may be trying to recharge them. Might be that they are leaking once they have been completely depleted like old flashlight batteries. Are they only leaking once they are completely dead?

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 17, 2004, 01:23 PM
Joined Aug 2003
71 Posts
No, they aren't completely dead. I fly with them in there for one time, and then they leak. Thank you.

Wayne
Old Jun 25, 2004, 05:01 PM
Joined Feb 2004
88 Posts
I would say that the radio is taking too much juice like firestang. I would get a radio that uses a rechargeable battery pack
Erikelectric is offline Find More Posts by Erikelectric