HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2004, 07:40 AM
antipodean recalcitrant
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Sloping in Victoria (Australia)

A few of us were posting in the DS forum under Dingo's thread "Make your own DS site" and we got a little OT, so I just thought I'd fire this thread up over here.

It's looking like there'll be some decent wind up in Ballarat on the w/e, but also will be freezing cold (wind chill well into sub-zero!) and possibly wet. My g/f has booked us in for Fri and Sat nights so I'll be up there on Sat and Sun. I'm working hard on my new NCFM Moth 48, and hoping to get it ready in time. Also hoping that it doesn't rain or snow TOO much!!

FYI - I'm on ch. 649 and 615 FM. Might also have something on 16 and 32 AM.

Anton
AntonL is offline Find More Posts by AntonL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2004, 07:08 PM
knee ligaments are over rated
Melbourne , Outer East .
Joined Dec 2003
2,568 Posts
Could be a big weekend for slope soaring , I also heard there`s a heap of people going down to Kilcunda . Could also be the coldest weekend of the year , damn it I`m going slope soaring anyway . Just gotta decide where I`m going to go .
dingo is offline Find More Posts by dingo
Old Jun 16, 2004, 07:18 PM
antipodean recalcitrant
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Dingo, I agree - stuff the weather, let's all go flying anyway!

The Ridge Road slope at Kilcunda is not much good in a SW, whereas Ballarat is supposed to be very good in a SW...if that helps you to decide.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 09:32 PM
Dublin
Joined Jun 2002
83 Posts
I think I'll have to opt out of this one folks. just toooooo cold and wet.
When the weather report mentions hale and thunder its a day for building. Looking foward to seeing the moth Anton. One problem at ballarat in cold wet conditions is mist. it seems to wrap around the hill. I'm sure you'll get a few flights in though. And if not you can settle into a nice pub in ballarat for a few beers. Have you finished all of your exams now?

As soon as the weather looks a little more pleasent i'll give you both a call and we'll organise something.

have a good fly

Andy
Andrew Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Hayes
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:20 PM
Speck it out...
Joined Jun 2004
12 Posts
Hi Guys, this is extreme weather for sloping. I got my fix on Sunday in 30+knots at Kilcunda on the North face. Flyable but uncomfortable, the Mrs usually films, but not on that occasion. I'm hoping it doesn't pan out like that this weekend, I ususally like it to 20 knots
It's good to see a few locals on this group, I've been sloping since Aug 03 but only found these groups a few days ago. An awesome resource of info.

Good flying

Bill.
Billios is offline Find More Posts by Billios
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:20 PM
antipodean recalcitrant
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Andy - yes it'll be absolutely freezing (!) but if we dress appropriately I don't see a problem with the cold. The main concern will be if it's wet. But it's still a couple of days out and forecasts are notoriously unreliable. Also, if it's windy enough up there then that could keep the rain (and mist) away to a degree, so we might only get the odd shower. I'm being optimistic because I'll be up there regardless and will just have to make the most of it!

Gotta be keen to fly in these conditions!!

Anton
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:23 PM
antipodean recalcitrant
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hayes
Have you finished all of your exams now?
Sorry, forgot to answer. Yes, all done as of yesterday morning, thankfully. Now frantically working on the Moth!
Old Jun 17, 2004, 06:57 AM
Kahn
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2004
217 Posts
I'm gonna leave the decision to go til as late as possible, probably Friday arvo. There'll be two of us going to Hollowback since they Bureau are predicting SW winds. We will be going early in the day, to catch the best of the weather (ie before it rains, hopefully).

I'll be taking slabs of lead with me cause I think we're gonna need it. My mate will be maidening a HSS V1 rocket with very small winglets, so the conditions (ex rain) should suit him perfectly.

I will bring the Weasel though I doubt I'll get to fly it, but, you never know. I'll also bring my new trusty lead-sled for some big wind soaring.

Channels 631 for the Weasel, and 643 for the Edge.

It looks like we'll have Billios, AntonL and Dingo there, which will make 5 - cool! It'll be great to meet you all!

Keep your fingers crossed that the clouds blow over and dump a metre of snow on them there alps!

Cheers

Kahn
kahnxx is offline Find More Posts by kahnxx
Last edited by kahnxx; Jun 17, 2004 at 07:06 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 07:56 AM
Speck it out...
Joined Jun 2004
12 Posts
Hi Kahn,
I haven't been to Hollowback yet, and I won't be going this weekend
It would be good to meet you all at a slope one day I usually fly Kilcunda when conditions are good.

Hope the weather works out for you though, I'm sure you'll get some flying time in.

Bill.
Billios is offline Find More Posts by Billios
Old Jun 17, 2004, 08:14 AM
antipodean recalcitrant
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Kahn - hope you and your friend can make it! The more the merrier...or perhaps it should be 'misery loves company'...?!!

I'm not sure if the plan to arrive early is going to make much diff re conditions but it can't hurt. At the moment the forecast is for min 4, max 6 so bring your arctic gear!!

The wind is supposed to be NW tending to SW during the day. But having said that the cold front that seems to be passing through Melb now was predicted to arrive on Fri, so perhaps things are happening a little quicker than forecast and the 2nd front will pass through late tomorrow and things may have settled a bit by Sat avo. Who knows, anything is possible!

The "good" news (at least for me and anyone who happens to come up that day) is that the forecast for Sun is only scattered showers!

Anton
Last edited by AntonL; Jun 17, 2004 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 17, 2004, 06:27 PM
knee ligaments are over rated
Melbourne , Outer East .
Joined Dec 2003
2,568 Posts
Hi Kahn- I know you ordred up some South Westerlies for tomorrow, do you think you can tone them down a little .It`s gunna be like going to Antartica & standing in front of a big fan .
dingo is offline Find More Posts by dingo
Old Jun 17, 2004, 08:22 PM
antipodean recalcitrant
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
OK...I am admitting defeat now. The Moth will not be ready by this afternoon when I have to leave to head up there...dammit!! Instead, I will have to requsition my g/f's jazz-knockoff combat wing! Somehow, I think the Weasels will struggle a bit in 30 knots...

For those of you still thinking of coming up the forecast is looking a bit more favourable on Sunday, if that's of any help.

Anton
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:56 PM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,236 Posts
Hollowback

Hi guys,

Remeber where you are flying!

If its 5 degs and blowing 20kt in Melbourne its probably -5 and 30kts at Ballarat!
I can heartily recommend Dyers Steak Stable on the main drag for a magnificent dinner and open fire to warm you up afterwards.

Good luck!

Glenn
salisbug is online now Find More Posts by salisbug
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:17 PM
antipodean recalcitrant
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
OK, well I'm packing up and heading up now, for better or worse!

I had to switch frequencies for the combat wing due to an Rx changeover and it's now on 655.

If anyone wants to organise to catch up I can be reached on my g/f's mob. I'll be there Sat and Sun.

Otherwise...stay warm!

Anton
Last edited by AntonL; Jun 20, 2004 at 02:25 AM. Reason: removed contact no.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:18 PM
Kahn
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2004
217 Posts
We'll be leaving Melb at 8AM tomorrow morning.

See you there!

Cheers

Kahn
kahnxx is offline Find More Posts by kahnxx