Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:22 AM
Web
OUCH...
Nevada City, California
Joined Sep 2002
210 Posts
A delta wing sloper of my own design

Hey everyone,
I am designing (if you can call it that) my own delta wing sloper. So far, I have the wing made out of styrofoam (I know it's weak, but I don't plan on crashing - we'll see how that turns out...), the airfoil is shaped, and the elevons and winglets are attached. I might make the winglets bigger, though. I also have a motor tray, in case I want to attach a motor and fly on flat land. I have, in the picture, an approximate layout of where the electronics will go. But first, I need to know how to find the CG for a delta wing. How is this done? Actually, I've never really understood how to find the CG for any wing. I know how to do it when the plane is a kit, and they tell you how far back from the nose it is. So, my question is, how do the kit designers find the CG?
Web is offline Find More Posts by Web
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:24 AM
Web
OUCH...
Nevada City, California
Joined Sep 2002
210 Posts
I hope you can see that picture well enough. I used my webcam. The battery is up front, the receiver behind that, and the servos off to the side. The red thing behind the receiver, at the very back, is the motor mount. It is aligned correctly, although I may have to angle it up or down, depending on where the CG should be.
I forgot to mention that I have the airfoil sanded in, as well. Just can't see it from the overhead shot.
Last edited by Web; Jun 16, 2004 at 03:08 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:29 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,416 Posts
what you got your self there is a foam Mugi do a search on mugi and you will get a good idea on CG from there do you know what wing section you used? is it hot wire cut or did you sand it to shape (which is awfully messy btw) but any way it looks good
if some what directionally unstable but keep at it The only way learn is to make mistakes best teacher in the world
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:35 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,651 Posts
also looks like a foam flick.... cool

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:43 AM
Web
OUCH...
Nevada City, California
Joined Sep 2002
210 Posts
I started out with several pieces of styro, and then put them together, and sanded my own airfoil. I was covered in white dust; my lungs were also filled with the stuff, because it got around my mask. I forgot to tell the specs: it is 48" wide, with a 24" cord. I hope it flies. I might take it to Monterey with me and slope it. Oh yeah. I used a wing section known only to me: the Barnes Custom Airfoil.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:53 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,416 Posts
fair enough I would start with about a 25 to 30% of the root chord as a starting point
and some time those sort of foils tend to work better than some proven ones .But exprience shows that there is not much value added in trying to re invent the wheel
lots of luck with it and lets know how you get on .Or hobby depends on you young blokes coming up though the ranks to teach us oldies how its done
Old Jun 16, 2004, 01:02 AM
Web
OUCH...
Nevada City, California
Joined Sep 2002
210 Posts
Well, us young ones couldn't do it without the advice of you oldies. I guess it's a mutual symbiotic relationship.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 01:12 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,416 Posts
well there ya go this must one of the only hobbies where ther is no generation gap lol
you can check out a few video's of the stuff i design and fly at my hompage also photos and a discussion group you can keep track of what's happening slope wise in the land down under http://swenban.rchomepage.com/ enjoy
Steve
Old Jun 16, 2004, 01:15 AM
Web
OUCH...
Nevada City, California
Joined Sep 2002
210 Posts
Steve, those are some nice slopers you have there. You also have a nice sloping spot.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 01:17 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,416 Posts
Yes it about 5 minutes from my front door prrety lucky that way
Old Jun 16, 2004, 01:22 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZagiCrazy
also looks like a foam flick.... cool
JOe the Flick is the same thing as a Mugi. The "Flick" is the name used by Kevin Selby to describe the planes that he makes, which are identical to the Mugi in every way except the Flick has winglets instead of a spoiler and its made from 2mm American Coroplast instead of 2mm UK Correx (so has to be scaled up in size as US Coroplast is heavier than UK Correx).

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2004, 01:22 AM
Web
OUCH...
Nevada City, California
Joined Sep 2002
210 Posts
You're very lucky. I have to drive 5 hours to get to a prime sloping spot. I'm trying to find one within biking distance of my house, but I haven't been to successful.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 01:23 AM
Web
OUCH...
Nevada City, California
Joined Sep 2002
210 Posts
I think I am going to try a Mugi sometime. I have some spare corroplast lying around. I only use it for elevons.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 01:24 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Oh, and based on the above, the CG for this plane should be around 45% of the root chord. So if the root chord is 10", the CG should be at 4.5" back from the tip of the nose.

Based on that, the location of the radio gear looks too far back to me. Check out the gear layout for the Mugi for more ideas:

http://www.mugi.co.uk/

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2004, 01:26 AM
Web
OUCH...
Nevada City, California
Joined Sep 2002
210 Posts
Thanks, surfimp! Sounds great. Are you basing that off of the measurements of the styro plane, or the Mugi? I just want to be sure.