HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2006, 02:41 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
Pat should do an 80" cub. But that surely would make everyone who built the A.Page 80" Cub (including Ace) wonder why their cub doesn't fly as well.

In any event Pat, please kit the plane with parts that fit without so much work, pretty-please.
EcoTony is offline Find More Posts by EcoTony
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2006, 03:05 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Yup, Tony, (and Pat), anything Super Cub from 1/5 to 1/7 scale would be fantastic!

Luke, when it comes to Super Cubs, I freely admit that I've really "got it bad"! In fact, I like flying the one that's the subject of this thread so well, that I really can't get past it to get serious about any other plane. I have always liked Super Cubs, since Piper came out with them when I was a kid.

I recently acquired a couple more videos featuring Super Cubs performing in real world conditions in Alaska and Montana. It's truly amazing what a good pilot can routinely do with these little buggers, in bush flying conditions. Of course watching those videos doesn't help me get past flying a model of one of them a bit.

With me, bush planes, and especially those of the Super Cub persuasion are an addiction. The way I look at it though, that's not a bad thing upon which to be hooked.

Low and Slow!

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Last edited by AmpAce; Oct 06, 2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2006, 08:10 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
OK Guys, you shamed me into it! The drawings for the 1/8 scale, 5 ch. Super Cub were started today! The model will span 52.8" with a wing area right at 400 sq.". Looks like the RC Hotdeals $30.00 outrunner/ESC package will be the perfect set-up for power. Will keep progress posted and definitely run a thread when it's done. The weather is supposed to be lousy this weekend, so should get some good progress.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Oct 06, 2006, 09:36 PM
Joined May 2001
2,902 Posts
Hmm... I bet I know a little boy named Amp who's going to be happy this Christmas. Looks like you'll finally be able to get past your Cub and into the arms of ... another Cub!

Pat, will this one have flaps? Even if not, I can be pretty sure Amp is going to add them...

Luke
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Old Oct 07, 2006, 04:12 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
The man said 5 ch, so it must have flaps.
Though personally I like the PA-18-95, with big tanks, just enough power, and the light flapless wing, as my favourite Cub. Most of the light weight floatiness of the J-3, no flaps so every approach is off a slipping turn, but much more comfortable, faster and more practical - and the pilot sits in the front, so can see round the wing roots a bit.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Oct 07, 2006, 06:58 AM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
OK Guys, you shamed me into it! The drawings for the 1/8 scale, 5 ch. Super Cub were started today! The model will span 52.8" with a wing area right at 400 sq.". Looks like the RC Hotdeals $30.00 outrunner/ESC package will be the perfect set-up for power. Will keep progress posted and definitely run a thread when it's done. The weather is supposed to be lousy this weekend, so should get some good progress.

PAT
Its funny that when you wish for something long enough, it eventually comes true! Thankyou Pat
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Oct 07, 2006, 08:27 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
With all the chatter going around for a good Super Cub, and with the popularity and longivity of this thread, I think the time is right to quit fooling around and get this one done!

The drawings I'm working with are the PA-18-135, and will be set up with flaps. Will also have an accurate forward fuselage arrangement -- not jut a J-3 with a wide cowl like some of the other ARF's out there. During the initial layout, I found a couple discrepancies on the drawings, but I have enough J-3 and Super Cub stuff here to get the problems corrected and get it at least close to right. It will also have an opening cabin door for battery access. No more pulling the wing to replace the battery! Will also run a new build thread when the time comes.

BTW, it turns out that the C-120 is also 1/8 scale, and the Tiger Moth is really close, so all three will look real good sitting side by side next to the runway.

PAT
Old Oct 07, 2006, 10:17 AM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
YAAAHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I go away overnight an look what happens!! This is wonderful news, Pat!

As to descrepancies, when you start looking close at Super Cubs, so many of them have been modified with different wings, wider fuselages, etc, that it's hard to tell just looking at one whether it is really original or not. Most of them around now aren't. Anyway, I'm very confident that your rendition will be more accurate than the majority of kits out there, and will fly better than any of them, at least in my book.

I strangely don't have any 3-views for a Super Cub, but have lots of pic's if there is a particular view you need, I might have it.

The flaps and opening door sound wonderful, and as you said, 1/8 scale will fit right in with the Tiger Moth and C-120.

Needless to say, I'll be watching!

AmpAce
Old Oct 07, 2006, 10:29 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
MAke that two of us watching..

I've still got my 80" Page, that I can't bring myself to finish....
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Oct 07, 2006, 05:43 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Amp, Super Cub drawings are just about the most illusive of any model I've ever done! The ones I used were from the old Bandai 1:48 scale plastic kit. The main problem is that the wing aspect ratio is wrong, and the aileron not shown in the proper location, so had to tweek the chord into the span, and relocate the aileron accordingly.

I also have lots of detail photos of local Super Cubs, as well as pages copied from the parts manual that shows most of the pertinent sub-assemblies. Fortunately, the J-3 and Super Cub outlines are close enough to cross over on the cabin door and tail section, though the stab is larger and has the ballance tabs, and the rudder shape is completely different. The major differenc is the firewall, which I have all I need to do properly. This one is gonna' be fun!

PAT
Old Oct 07, 2006, 05:59 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Looking forward to it Pat..

Any sneak peeks of the progress so far?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Oct 07, 2006, 06:24 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Yea, Pat when I bashed the Dare J-3 into the Super Cub, I "borrowed" scaled up and slightly modified outlines for the rudder, elvator, and firewall outlines from your old Hobby Lobby Super Cub. These looked to be about the best I could find at the time, and I had them in hand. The most work for me was in trying to get the cowl shape right. Took a lot of trial and error, eyeballing, and sanding. I'm assuming that this one will eventually have a preformed cowl of some kind.

That design sounds like it will be fun, indeed!

AmpAce
Old Oct 08, 2006, 12:41 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Got the wing plan pretty well laid out now, and the horizontal tail is done. I was scrounging around the shop looking for something else and stumbled across the old Guillow Super Cub -95 kit, which has a pretty descent 3 view on the plans. Using that, I stripped out most of the initial structure and re-did it according to the more accurate 3 view.
Am going with scale rib spacing on this one, but did increase the flap and aileron chord just a little. Have the flaps and ailerons set up with 1 servo each using cables to actuate -- just can't see using 6 sevos and a seperate Rx battery on a model this small. The gas tank covers will act as access to the servos, which are mounted 1 in each wing root.
Most of the wing parts are roughed in now, hope to have them all drawn and "test fit" today.

PAT
Old Oct 08, 2006, 04:50 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,395 Posts
Panting Dog Sound
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Oct 08, 2006, 09:24 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Pat, sure nice to hear that you are taking so much effort on this one to get it just right!

I kind of like separate aileron servos, even though it may add a bit of weight. I've not had good luck getting enough slop out of the flexible cable setups that I've tried, to suit me. Seems those cables have to be set up just about perfect or they flex along the runs, and lack of precision creeps in.

Rather than a separate Rx battery, I always use a separate BEC. Some of them are really small and light, much less than another battery.

On the Dare Super Cub, I used a servo for each aileron and a centrally mounted one operating a torque tube, to run the flaps. This seems to work out O.K.

When I build your new Super Cub, which I'll certainly do, (assuming you go ahead and market a kit or short kit), I hope it won't be too difficult to modify the aileron actuation to servos out in the wings. I may well try your designed system, if it looks good to me, but would like to have the option to change it if I decide I want to.

That is a great idea, using the gas tank covers for servo access!

Sounds to me like you are going to come up with a fantastic Super Cub, and I'm getting anxious to get one already!

Hope you don't take my comments as negative, I'm just so excited about this project that I can't keep from making comments. I'm confident that this is going to be by far the best Super Cub kit on the market, for the type of building and flying that I prefer. After all, I haven't built an r/c airplane kit yet, that I haven't changed in some way, just trying to make it "better", at least in my eyes.

Keep up the great work!

AmpAce