SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:28 AM
Neerpelt (Belgium)
Joined Jun 2003
110 Posts
It has been going a bit slower then I anticipated but the wings are as good as built. One of the tips broke up when I tried to glue it to the wing but that was easily replaced by a new one. I found some AAA quality balsa in my pile of wood and that stuff even bends without making it wet!

The only problem I've got now is that I'm going to make an L-4 piper and that means I'll have to rethink the wing center piece. Easiest thing to do would be leaving out the top and bottom sheeting.

Does anybody have another idea that would be more "scale" and strong enough at the same time?

Happy thinking!

bartje
bartje is offline Find More Posts by bartje
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2004, 06:08 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Hi Bartje,

You might be able to replace or reinforce some of the spar material with carbon fiber tubes, to add strength to make up for eliminating the sheeting. Might add some realism too. Also, you might be able to double up on the ribs and the other balsa around the perimeter of the wing center section. This would add a little strength, and give you some more ways to glue or clamp the clear plexi in place. If you can figure out a way to clamp or glue the clear plexi tight, and maybe stress it a little bit, this would also add a bit of strength.

Without actually studying the "Grasshopper's" cabin design, I'm afraid I can't help you much more.

Good Luck, this should be a very unique model, when finished!

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old Jul 21, 2004, 04:15 PM
Neerpelt (Belgium)
Joined Jun 2003
110 Posts
Hey Amapce,

given the thickness of that front wing joiner I think a carbon tube would be a bit overkill. The real wing is actuallly just wood that is joined in the middle also. I'm just going to leave out the sheeting and keep the 2 plywood wing joiners, that should be strong enough and if not I'll find out the hard way.

Its a challenge to make the grasshopper fuselage! So far only parts of the front side and the tail feathers are stock, all the rest had to be changed. But its rewarding. At this rate it'll probably take 2 more weeks to get it somewhat finished.

bartje
Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:29 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Yes, that fuse does look like a challenge. Looking good though!~ Can't wait to see her all covered and windows in place.

AmpAce
Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:36 PM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
Great-looking build, this should be a super flyer. I love Cubs, we have a J-5 (full-size) where I work and it is just a sweetheart of an airplane. Looking forward to seeing how this project comes out. Hope you can try it on floats sometime, as that is just an absolute ball. Cubs on floats typically fly great!

Good luck,

ericm
ericm is offline Find More Posts by ericm
Old Jul 26, 2004, 11:13 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
My Dare Super Cub is coming along very slowly. Limited time to build on it. About have the wing done, will start on the fuse shortly. Will try some more photo's soon.

The reciever and ESC came in the other day so I ran the motor a bit, mounted in the cowl, hand held. The motor is a Nippy Black 1812/100, with a MA 10X7 electric prop, powered by a Polyquest 3s 2200 mah li-po pack. What a beast!! Saw 22 amps on the amp meter so I shut her down. Didn't have enough hands to check rpm's. I think this 2.14 oz. motor will be extreme overkill with a 3 cell li-po pack. Also will have to prop down a bit or else be very careful about full throtlte useage. May try a 2 cell pack, and save a little weight. Still should have enough power. (I'm shooting for an all up weight of 25 oz.)

Got the flaps working, sorta. A little iffy yet, as I haven't glued the cable sheaths into anything, so they slide back and forth a bit. Don't want to glue them until I'm sure everything is going to work.

Be back soon, hopefully with a few more pic's.

AmpAce
Old Jul 27, 2004, 04:16 AM
Neerpelt (Belgium)
Joined Jun 2003
110 Posts
Nice going ampace, I'd love to see some pictures of your flaps! In combination with that engine you should be able to get a take-off in 3ft, hehehe!

During my latest visit to the LHS yesterday I managed to find some 9x5 wooden zinger props to put on my Grasshopper, should look charming although its a bit small in diameter.

As for progress on the grasshopper: the wing fixing issue has been solved with aluminium and carbon tubes so I get a 2 part wing. I've glued the servo connectors in the wing roots so it will be a matter of "plug the wings on and play". I hope to finish the wings today so I can start to concentrate on the fuselage finish and the landing gear.

Happy building everybody!

bartje
Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:28 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Finally made a little more progress. Still a bit of work to do on the wing, but decided to go ahead and frame the fuselage anyway. Incorporating operating right side doors into the fuse. This will allow access for battery changing without removing the wing. May have to reinforce the top right longeron at the top of the cabin though. That opening door/window provides little support.

Here are some pic's:

AmpAce
Last edited by AmpAce; Jul 29, 2004 at 12:32 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 01:03 PM
Isle Lake, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
42 Posts
Nice AmpAce! She's gonna be a beauty...seeing her under construction... it's deja vu of the HL supercub. Your flaps are set up almost like mine. I put a servo in each wing for the ailerons so I would have room for the skylight.
The minidisc? Are you going to have onboard music for your passenger?
OK, I can't out do that, but I'm planning on passing out pretzels and beer on my flights!
Take that, WestJet!
Bob Tildesley is offline Find More Posts by Bob Tildesley
Old Jul 29, 2004, 07:41 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Yea, thought I'd play a little bluegrass to fly by, keeps you nimble on the sticks!! (LOL!) Actually that is just a pack of DV video tapes I used to block up the center of the wing so the flaps would deploy.

Thanks for the kind words, Bob. I'm not really a very neat builder, but I try hard, and enjoy it, which is the main thing.

I'll be adding servo's out in the wing for the ailerons too. You must have been scrunched for space in that H/L Super Cub. I barely had room for the HS 55 just behind the skylight. I did get it so it will be completely enclosed in the wing though.

Good Luck on your maiden!!

AmpAce
Old Aug 12, 2004, 02:19 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
Hi AmpAce and others:

Having a bit of a hang up in starting the wing: When laying out the spars, I read I should use a rib for spacing. But, when I try to fit a rib onto the 1/4x1/8 spar, it won't fit.... Am I supposed to file down the rib's laser cut notch deeper to fit this spar, or sand the spar thinner (in my mind thinner could be weaker)? Am I missing something? Shouldn't this fit together without really any major sanding? The rib sits almost 1/8" off the plan when sitting on the spar. That's quite a bit off....isn't it?

Help, please.
EcoTony is offline Find More Posts by EcoTony
Old Aug 12, 2004, 05:20 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Tony,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with parts fit. I had somewhat the same problem, but not nearly that far off. I did have to do a little trimming the notches, and still didn't get them quite deep enough. Actually I ended up adding 1/16 inch rib caps on the top of the main ribs, to even things up on the topside. This obviously changed the airfoil shape slightly, but I doubt if it will have much effect. Time will tell.

It is quite disappointing to find such poor tolerances in a kit that costs as much as this one, but I guess you have to look at the uniqueness of the design, that produces a model of this size that is so light. Will reserve final judgement until I see it fly!

I agree with your thoughts that deepening the notch in the ribs is preferable to thinning the spar. I also had problems with the ribs being very fragile. They are certainly light, but I think I have broken most of them in handling or sanding, etc. Good thing CA is not real heavy! That's one reason I decided to add caps to them, to add a bit of strength, as well as even things up.

An eighth of an inch seems like a lot for the notches to be off, but I don't see how it could be any other problem from reading your post, as you had everything laid out. You might want to measure the spar for width, if you haven't already done so, just to be sure you didn't have a wider stick of balsa. Seems like the sticks that make the wing struts are wider.

Hope this helps, Tony, I think if you take your time and think it through, you can decide on a course of action that will work for you. May be a little more work, but hey, the building is supposed to be fun too. Let us know how it works out.

Maybe someone else with more experience with this model will chime in too!

Good Luck!

AmpAce
Old Aug 12, 2004, 06:27 PM
Isle Lake, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
42 Posts
Lookin great Amp and bartje!

These are gonna be wicked airplanes...... just my gut instinct!

It's amazing what happens... people building planes.... we all learn gradually, often the hard way (crashing, glued fingers, so many things I should have done the other way!)
But in the end we usually end up with a new baby, and it's US flying around up there in those little scale cockpits, isn't it? LOL It's great... all these little flying machines... even though maybe built from the same kit... are completely different, according to their builders. It's true creativity and problem solving and art on so many levels..... this is what life is about!!

Keep it up! oscar bravo.......
Bob Tildesley is offline Find More Posts by Bob Tildesley
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:15 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
Oh yeah,

Drool....

Tony
EcoTony is offline Find More Posts by EcoTony
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:41 PM
Neerpelt (Belgium)
Joined Jun 2003
110 Posts
What I learned from glueing my fingers :

* even slow zap is very fast when it gets between your fingers
* ca can kreep through the wood and attack your fingers
* ca between your fingers is hot and burns
* ca needle applicators always get clogged even if you blow through them immediately after use
* Good old UHU Hart glue on the other hand is fun to mess with, has an excellent drying time and its lots of fun to peel it of your fingers after another hard airplane building day

Finally I can say that the grasshopper is starting to take shape...
Its been too hot to work here for a while here. If you'd only blink you'd already start sweating.

Went to my LHS to get an extra receiver and came back with an 8 gram JETI REX 5 plus receiver. The servo's are alle multiplex MS-X2 donated by my good old Mini Laser. So far the airframe + wings weigh about 200 grams.

I've also covered the rudder and one side of the elevator with this Graupner ecospan and that works and looks nice also.

The only frustration I'm running into now is that I don't have enough of this acetate to make all the windows!
The best my LHS can offer is very heavy plexi of 0.5 mm...

Does anybody know a good alternate source for this?

Btw, I'll try to get some pictures made tomorrow of the progress and the wing mount. The landing gear is still in pieces although I'm working on the LG mounts. I've chosen the long, hard and leight way of making them. I hope it will all hold on landing.

Happy building!

bartje