HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2004, 06:43 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Hi bartje,

Your gear build sounds very promising. Glad to hear that CA works. That will make life a lot simpler. Looking forward to your pic's, and some more details.

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2004, 11:18 AM
Neerpelt (Belgium)
Joined Jun 2003
110 Posts
Here's what I've got so far!

Had to improvise a bit by wrapping the sanding paper around a 4mm drill to get everything to connect nicely but it works!
bartje is offline Find More Posts by bartje
Old Jul 02, 2004, 12:37 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Looking good Bartje! Must be pretty tedious getting all of those cf bits to fit right! May have to try something like that myself.

AmpAce
Old Jul 02, 2004, 01:30 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2000
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartje
Here's what I've got so far!

Had to improvise a bit by wrapping the sanding paper around a 4mm drill to get everything to connect nicely but it works!

Great job Bartje,

Can we get little closer view of glued points. I am considering to build the Piper Cub fuselage using the same technick of glued CF tubes. It would provide real scale effect. For me the problem was what glue to use. Now it looks that good old Medium Zap CA is right answer.
SiPet is offline Find More Posts by SiPet
Old Jul 02, 2004, 05:29 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Aug 2003
581 Posts
Looks great Bartje! CF to the rescue again!
EcoTony is offline Find More Posts by EcoTony
Old Jul 02, 2004, 05:47 PM
Neerpelt (Belgium)
Joined Jun 2003
110 Posts
Ok, just washed my hands and they're still sort of grey from all the dust. I'm going to try to find a 4mm sanding bit from Dremel tomorrow (# 453) to make my life a bit easier and cleaner.

SiPet, buidling an entire fuselage this way? Now that's what I call a challenge!
I think it could be done though, if you have a nice jig to sand all those pieces of CF to the correct angles, otherwise you're going to invent lots of new ugly words.
If you're really going to do it that way I'd go for the rubberized CA that Steve mentioned. It never hurts to have some flexibility in the joints and normal CA is as brittle as a tin sheet of glass if you don't get enough surface contact...

I've tried to get a clearer picture but I don't know if its of any value to you. I found out that you get the best bond when you put the CA on the to end of the CF rod and then push it into the side of the other rod.

That's all for now, I've got a bbq, a birthday party, a furniture shopping trip with my sister & gf (help!) and the presentation of the new Mini Convertible to attend this weekend so I'll probably report back here on monday. Have a nice weekend everybody!

bartje
Old Jul 02, 2004, 06:54 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2000
91 Posts
Bartje,

Thanks for the photos. It will help a lot.

Regards,
SiPet
SiPet is offline Find More Posts by SiPet
Old Jul 06, 2004, 04:25 AM
Neerpelt (Belgium)
Joined Jun 2003
110 Posts
Hey guys!

Well, I got a bit bored this weekend during one of the parties and I made a carbon-tube-sanding-machine kind of thing. The key ingredient is the 4,0 mm grinding stone from Dremel which has the exact same diameter of the carbon tubes. It sure does work faster and more accurate then sanding everything with a piece of sanding paper around a 4 mm dril.

The only thing I didn't understand yesterday is that it took incredibly long for the CA to dry (>10 minutes), it must be the weather or something.

Still no sign of my kit though, I'll jump on the postman today if he shows up to see if he didn't sneak away with it, hehe!

How's your machine coming along Ampace? Almost ready to float to the clouds?

Greets

bartje
Old Jul 06, 2004, 07:28 PM
Neerpelt (Belgium)
Joined Jun 2003
110 Posts
And here's another update, the gear is finally starting to look like a gear. I didn't know whether the Dare kit comes with wheels so I got some at the LHS today which should be "scale size". They feel quite heavy so I don't know if they'll make it to the final model....

happy building!

bartje
Last edited by bartje; Jul 06, 2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 04:34 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Hi Bartje!

Great work on the gear! Looks very time consuming and intricate. Don't know if my ham hands are up to such a delicate task, but sure am tempted to try. Would be really great to have a real working gear on the Super Cub.

By thge way, the Dare kit has no wheels, so it's good that you bfound some if they aren't too heavy. I've had pretty good luck with some of the light weight foam ones from the local hobby shop. I think most of them are DuBro. I've also heard good things about the Trexler air wheels, although I don't know how heavy they are. Don't have any first hand experience with them. Any else know anything about them? I will probably put at least 3 inchers on my Super Cub.

Happy Building!

AmpAce
Old Jul 13, 2004, 05:20 PM
Neerpelt (Belgium)
Joined Jun 2003
110 Posts
Hey Amapace!

Thanks for the compliments! The gear didn't survive a firts simulated test landing/crash on the workbench though. I put some severe load on the wheel axle and of course the axle joint broke away. So I'll skip the CA joint there and resort to Epoxy with possibly some glass fibre threads around it, that should make it unbreakable!

In the mean time my kit showed up! Unfortunately I didn't have the pleasure of receiving it in person and paying about 50$ customs, taxes and other "rip-off" fares as I was on a 2 day assesment center!

Long story short, I started building today and finished the tail feathers and I set up the first wing panel to be glued tomorrow.

One question though, the ribs are not flush with the rear spar which is about 0.5 - 1 mm too high, is that normal or should it be sanded flush?

Happy building and flying!

bartje
Old Jul 13, 2004, 05:31 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,536 Posts
Bartje,
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Jul 13, 2004, 05:32 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,536 Posts
Bartje, The ribs should be flush with the trailing edges. A little bar sanding will have everything leveled up nicely.
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Jul 13, 2004, 05:47 PM
Neerpelt (Belgium)
Joined Jun 2003
110 Posts
Thanks for the info Pat!

I'll have two wings ready tomorrow evening I hope!

bartje
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:18 AM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Bartje,

I also encountered some fitment problems with the wing parts. I also found it very difficult to sand anything near those delicate ribs without breaking some of them. Easily fixed with a bit of glue though. Guess I don't have the delicate touch to work with such fragile parts.

I found after carefully fitting the leading edge sheeting that the sheeting was higher than the rib. Started trying to sand it down, but looked like it was going to be dificult to get everything to match without thinning the sheeting too much. Think I'll just cap the ribs with a 1/32" balsa top cap, sanding it down to match the rib top at the rear. Looks like it should line up well with the sheeting at the front. This of course will slightly change the airfoil shape, but hopefully not enough to adversely affect performance.

Sorry to hear about your gear failure. I'm sure you are on the right track to strengthen it though. You are coming right along on the build now that you have the kit! You are probably going to beat me to the clouds after all! I have to leave for Oregon tomorrow to take care of some business there, so building will be delayed a few more days. Hope all goes well with yours.

AmpAce
Last edited by AmpAce; Jul 14, 2004 at 12:21 AM.