HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:24 AM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Hi Bartje,

I don't know of anyone who makes the 1/7 scale cub gear. Seems like I have seen an advertisement in a magazine by a guy in Idaho someplace that will custom make a scale gear for a Cub in any size you want. I'm sure it would be spendy though.

Also I recall seeing a thread on here that had good details and pictures by someone who built their own. They looked very good and scale-like too, but I did a search and couldn't come up with it. If I run across it, I'll let you know. It was larger than 1/7, but might give you something to go on.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Last edited by AmpAce; Jun 22, 2004 at 12:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2004, 04:43 AM
Neerpelt (Belgium)
Joined Jun 2003
110 Posts
Thanks for the pointers AmpAce! I'll do some rcgrouphunting today to see if I can come up with the thread you mentioned. And if I get somewhere with it I'll post the details here asap.

bartje
bartje is offline Find More Posts by bartje
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:47 AM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Bartje,

Good luck with the search. Will be looking forward to your build. If you build it as the "Grasshopper", it will be pretty unique!

Actually, the stock wire gear may not bee too bad on this light a model. It can be doctored up to look pretty scale.

AmpAce
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:57 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,070 Posts
You are getting too close for clear focus.If your camera has a "macro" setting, use it following camera instructions for detail shots.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:01 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,070 Posts
The guy sent me a zip file with pics of his landing gear construction. PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the zip file.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:40 PM
Neerpelt (Belgium)
Joined Jun 2003
110 Posts
Ampace, I like to set myself a challenge every now and then, hehe. E-challenged appears to have some zip files that might be usefel, that's a good start. I've found a topic on making a working steel wire gear for a big Cup here on rcgroups, but that would turn out a bit heavy. So I'm thinking more along the line of using Carbon Fiber tubes. So now I have to brush up on my Carbon gluing knowledge first. I hope to get the an acceptable grasshopper finish done and otherwise I'll take the pics from a distance. I was actually thinking of doing the "glass" on the side with a transparant kind of oracover. Or a light version of oracover if I can get my hands on it!

bartje
Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:55 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
I'd like to see those files too.... I need to figure out what I'm going to use for LG here.

Tony
EcoTony is offline Find More Posts by EcoTony
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:17 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Bartje and all,

I've been away at other things for a while. Haven't done much on the PA-18. Am having some trouble getting the flaps hinged the way I want, with the "fowler effect", similar to that used on the Aviat Husky. (The flaps hinge away from the wing, leaving a gap, when deployed). Will post some more pic's when I get a little farther along. Am planning to use Sullivan flexible pushrod to activate the flaps from a single HS-55 servo in the wing center. Hope that little servo is up to the task! I don't want flaps that don't fully retract back to their "up" position!

Bartje, let us know how your carbon tube landing gear goes. I am very interested in doing something like that, if it works out. Sounds like a great way to build a Cub gear, if you can figure out how to bond the parts together.

More later.

AmpAce
Old Jun 30, 2004, 03:51 PM
Neerpelt (Belgium)
Joined Jun 2003
110 Posts
Hey Ampace

I'm still waiting for the kit to arrive! The mail said they would ship the week of the 21st so I expect this thing to arrive within a week from now. Tomorrow I'm going to the LHS to see if they have some carbon tubes left but I doubt it. and knowing how slow they are with ordering these things... But I won't rest before I found what I need!

Together with the shots and drawings from E-challenged and some detailed pictures from my dad it should be easy to come up with something "scale like".

I'll keep you posted on the progress!

bartje
Old Jul 01, 2004, 08:02 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Amp, Be carefull with the scale Cub gear, it will weigh 4 times what the finished model does!!! Those landing gear assemblies are really nice, but are made up of chromoly steel, almost an exact replica of the full scale.
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Jul 01, 2004, 11:03 AM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Pat,

Thanks for the heads-up. Actually, I'm not planning on using anything but the stock setup for the gear, although I might try something with cf tubing, if I can figure out how to join it, and I can keep the weight down. Will wait to see what Bartje comes up with before I decide.

AmpAce
Old Jul 01, 2004, 11:50 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,379 Posts
Bob Smith industries produces a rubberized CY, used in RC cars for mounting tires. I use it for carbon fiber, glass, and high stress areas that require a little flex. You cannot use kicker with it tho, or it loses some of it's flex. It's black too. Shake it well.

Steve
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jul 01, 2004, 01:10 PM
Neerpelt (Belgium)
Joined Jun 2003
110 Posts
Hey guys

got my tubes today, no sign of the kit yet though. Can anybody tell me how wide the body is at the place where the gear is supposed to be mounted?

Greets,

bartje
Old Jul 01, 2004, 02:48 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Bartje,

Looks like the stock gear is 95 mm wide for both the front and rear legs, at the point where the wire bends at the edge of the fuse bottom. The distance along the bottom edge of the fuse from the front leg to the rear leg is 75 mm.

Steve, Thanks for the tip on the rubberized cy. Will see if I can find some.

AmpAce
Old Jul 01, 2004, 05:15 PM
Neerpelt (Belgium)
Joined Jun 2003
110 Posts
Thanks for the measurements Ampace, they're right on 1/7 scale apparently. Found some nice detailed drawings for an L-4 (aka the Grasshopper) Piper on a Russian site after digging through the forum.

I blew up the landing gear details to a 1/7 scale and my 4mm tube turns out to be a scale diameter!

I had Epoxy in mind at first to make a T-shaped piece like in the top of the front leg with some fiberglass over the T-section to beef things up.

Skip all that, Steve provided the right glue, CA is the answer, thank you Steve. Haven't been able to locate the rubbery kind but simply used the good old Medium Zap.

I'll have to wait until I get my girlfriends digital camera to show you how I did it but let me say this, I've been pulling that T-piece all night trying to break it and now I've got soar muscles and its still in one piece!

The important thing is to get a good surface contact between the two pieces for the CA to attach to.

Right now its sleepy time but I promise some pictures tomorrow!

Nighty night!

bartje