HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Ron van Sommeren, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 06, 2004, 08:43 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrc71
..cutting holes on top for the homemade motors..
I have notice funny thing. My motor with 12 magnets 5x3x2 (about 3mm distance between magnets) works like a centrifugal fan. Magnets work as a fan blades forcing the air between magnets back and out. I noticed that when I run the motor without the prop, and it still made a lot of wind behind it. So cooling holes in the front plate are quite efficient for keeping the magnet's temperature down.

Just another reason for using 2mm thick and 3mm wide magnets

RysiuM
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2004, 09:20 PM
Everett, WA, USA
Joined Dec 1996
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland
BTW, in addressing the whole "removing the enamel" thing, for soldering the wires when you are done winding, guys are using aspirin to eat off the insulation, because aspirin has acid in it (I suppose). Well... I got to thinking, maybe other acids would work also. I took some soldering flux used for sweating copper plumbing, put a little on a metal surface, sat the wire in the flux, and heated it with a soldering iron. Worked a whole lot better than aspirin, and smelled a lot better too. I was able to solder directly to the wire after. I'd still say use a lot of ventalation.
If you use any kind of acid to clean the insulation, be sure to clean all of the acid off your work or you will end up with the acid eating your pretty new motor weeks later.

Carl
Carl is offline Find More Posts by Carl
Old Sep 14, 2004, 09:22 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,520 Posts
Tip for drilling sheetmetal

This may help those wanting to drill thin metal drums,air holes ect' http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=12
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Sep 14, 2004, 09:32 PM
Kansas City area
Joined Nov 2001
2,743 Posts
Commonly known as "Bullet Bits"
lensrc is offline Find More Posts by lensrc
Old Sep 29, 2004, 10:39 AM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
how to glue magnets in pairs end to end

Squeeze the pair into a small "O" ring. Ca glue the ends together . Gently remove the "O" ring to use it on the next pair. Voila' one magnet from two.
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:08 AM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
How I drill even spaced holes in the bell

Machine a "plug" to fit perfectly in hole of drill press plate (pic 2). Notch disc with evenly spaced intervals. 5,6,13?. Drill a corosponding hole in the base of your harbor freight $39. drill press. Tighten plug, disc and bell together with drive shaft diameter bolt. Hold disc still with C clamp.
Fast easy dependable.
jimbo
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Last edited by Eljimb0; Sep 30, 2004 at 12:10 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 29, 2004, 06:40 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,520 Posts
re flux rings

Some sizes in car exhaust pipes are usefull,go raid the cut off bin at your local exhaust centre,they only throw them out anyway
Old Oct 08, 2004, 12:00 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,609 Posts
Soldering Jig

I needed soldering jigs to solder setscrew hub on cans and to make extended cans for double stator motors. When making the second jig I realized it could be modified to do both jobs. It's easy to use and results in true running cans and the lightest double cans (8g) available. It's easy to make if you have a lathe and can be purchased from Strong RC Motors if you don't. Hubs and can extensions cut from standard cans are also available.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Oct 08, 2004, 11:14 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,520 Posts
Recycle use for old speakers

This is a scource for motor builders for flux ring material,a speaker manufacturer here in melbourne imports very special magnetic iron wich machines very nicely,to make pole pieces used in his speakers,so save any old speakers the centre pole piece in particular.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 10:06 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,224 Posts
Removing enamel on wires

Having briefly skim-read this thread I see people have found quite a few methods for removing the enamel from copper wire to allow them to solder to it. Here's my method! Put some solder on the end of a hot soldering iron so it forms a big molten blob. Hold the end of the enamelled copper wire in this blob and wait for the enamel to burn off - you can tell when this happens because smoke is given off and the solder then sticks to the copper.

Job done
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Oct 12, 2004, 01:26 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,520 Posts
Re flux rings

I just pulled apart an old magnavox 10" speaker ,the centre pole piece measures 38x23mm with a 10mm hole a nice lump of the right kind of metal thinking on about machining flux rings, what do you think about on one end of the flux ring if one turns down it to half thickness a 1.2mm length male shoulder and on the other end a female so if you want a double or a tripple ,just loctite as many as you want together ? as this is not a chat thread ,any pms' answered.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 08:41 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,520 Posts
try again

ill get it right
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:58 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Jul 2002
204 Posts
Well here is one tip, not sure if its been posted yet, I didnt see it.... when you have to fit a GB custom Endbell into a GB custom Fluxring which almost needs a press to do this, put the endbell into the freezer for an hour and the flux ring in the oven at 200 degrees for 15 min. Use an oven mit and assemble the parts which should go together pretty easy... also when you heat the flux ring lay it on its end not side...
cfischer505 is offline Find More Posts by cfischer505
Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:25 AM
San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
606 Posts
I was wondering, wouldn't angled holes offer better ventilation to the interior than this? When those motors get spinning fast every little cooling trick helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljimb0
Machine a "plug" to fit perfectly in hole of drill press plate (pic 2). Notch disc with evenly spaced intervals. 5,6,13?. Drill a corosponding hole in the base of your harbor freight $39. drill press. Tighten plug, disc and bell together with drive shaft diameter bolt. Hold disc still with C clamp.
Fast easy dependable.
jimbo
SoMoney is offline Find More Posts by SoMoney
Old Oct 16, 2004, 11:38 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Jul 2002
204 Posts
another cdrom tip

I found that some cdrom drives have a small belt and motor that operates the tray. Some of these small belts are just the right thickness and diameter to serve as a spacer at the bottom of a 22mm can to keep the magnets from sliping to the bottom of the can.
cfischer505 is offline Find More Posts by cfischer505