HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Ron van Sommeren, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:16 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
winding tool

"What could be used on the back end of the tube to put tension on the wire for pulling the wire tight?"
The tube is short. The thumb and index finger hold it. My small two fingers and the flesh of my palm provide the tension (drag) on the wire. It works better for me short.
jimbo
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2004, 02:24 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Setting 5x5x1 magnets in GBL 22.7 stock bells (maybe for others too).

Don't push magnets all the way down to the bell. Top edge of every magnet should be flush with the edge of the bell and the bottom edge of the magnet about 1mm above the bottom of the bell (this is the level where GBL can has 3 tiny noches on the side. Make sure these noches are between magnets. This setup guarantees enough airgap between magnets and stator and leaves space for wire between front of the bell and the stator.

RysiuM
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
Old Jul 01, 2004, 12:01 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,483 Posts
Revised layout

These layout come from a new member AeroNut45 and i believe there will be shortly one for 23mm stators.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Last edited by olmod; Jul 01, 2004 at 12:03 AM. Reason: pic
Old Jul 01, 2004, 10:15 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,483 Posts
re motor connections

I have standardised the way i make connections to my motors,first i use a hole saw of a suitable size to make blanks from fibre glass circuit board then by hand engraving 3 isolated lands and pre drilling holes for the wind wires, enlarging the centre hole for the bearing tube and glueing into place,finally soldering 2mm gold male connectors.then testing the winds for output ac voltage when spun up with dremel or drill, the pic should explanetory. keep the thread alive,contribute.
Last edited by olmod; Jul 01, 2004 at 10:17 AM. Reason: pic
Old Jul 02, 2004, 09:49 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,010 Posts
Here the drawings with measurements for those, who got a lathe and a 22.7mm stator from GB, and need to work out what the rotor should measure from the inside to take those magnets I mention in the drawing. I know there are formulars to work that out but not all of us are that smart and have the knowlege me included. I help myself with this graphic drawing program which works with 3 digits behind the comma. I have build one motor going by those measurements I worked out. It worked out just right.
There is one part which would be hard to work by formulars, that is the smaller distance between the magnets. I can measure that in that program. If I am out there with my figures it would be only because I can't determine what the corner radius would be on those magnets. That will ultimately dictate the thickness of the spacer to use.
Here a question for ruisum: the 2nd magnets in this pdf I have drawn up are only 2.5mm wide, would that give enough coverage? Those are magnets I have on hand.
If these drawings find general approval, I am willing to help if someone needs a drawing with different stator sizes.
AeroNut45
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old Jul 02, 2004, 10:13 AM
Joined Jun 2004
2,010 Posts
Here is another question: would there be an atvantage to have the rotor with 12 flats instead of being round. I have got a dear friend who offered to press me a rotor like that. It would mean quite a bit of tooling. If it is only for attaching the magnets better, then it is not worth the effort.Will it change the magnetic field for the better?
Who of the gurus can answer that?
AeroNut45
Old Jul 02, 2004, 10:38 AM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
Aeronut: It will help marginally the magnetic field marginally - how much I don't know. The best way would be to put up the $$$ and get some of the "arc segments" from Mr. George: http://www.engconcepts.net/Magnets/P...x_Magnets.html

As Ron asked at the start of this thread that we only post tips and tricks here, you should be asking questions like this on a different thread.

Brad

AeroNut45's pdf posted here:
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
Old Jul 02, 2004, 10:43 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,483 Posts
oooooh

By gee he does nice work though EH?
Old Jul 03, 2004, 11:10 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,483 Posts
sealing.

when finished a known winding, finish by adding a small amount with a toothpick your favourite epoxy to windings, you dont need much and warm up stator and watch the epoxy just wet out and spread,it stops any loose wire from moving and rubbing through enamel coating on the wires and moisture proofs.
Old Jul 03, 2004, 02:11 PM
United States, NC, Belmont
Joined Mar 2004
456 Posts
Magnets are attracted to JB Weld?

I bought some JB weld and put a dab of each part on a piece of paper, mixed it and let it set up.
After it cured I tested a neodymium magnet with it and it is not attracted to it.
For whatever it's worth on the package it also says "does not conduct electricitry".
The package I bought is black and red with a white background and the two tubes are 1 oz.each.
Is this the same as yoiu tried?
mgdon is offline Find More Posts by mgdon
Old Jul 04, 2004, 05:30 AM
Joined Jun 2004
2,010 Posts
Winding counter

Have been around to olmod today. I have been intrigued by his winding device. Have taken another picture of it. I think it has changed since he has shown it last. I didn't realise at the time that it is failsafe what the counting is concerned. For each turn, one has to turn the wheel on the left, in order to see the top of the stator and then the bottom. You can only turn the wheel in on direction. You turn it the wrong way and the lever on the counter will stop it from going back. I think that is very nifty. So one can concentrate on getting the wire on neet.
It also acts as a little vice for doing the soldering as you can see in the pic.
Full marks from me.
AeroNut45
Old Jul 07, 2004, 02:47 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,483 Posts
Plugs n stuff.

try drilling the serial computer plugs and socket mounting plates apart some ive used (once you get rid of the metal,)the plastic body can be split they are not welded and come apart easy u can use the pins and sockets individually or as is,depending on brand each pair of pin and socket can pass 2 to 5 amps ,even glued together without the metal are very lightweight and if useing for brushless motor connection you can wire 3 pins per phase. i am going to make a plain fibre glass circuit board similar to the others in previous pics, but make it pear shaped and glue the pin half to it and solder the coil wires directly on to three pins per phase. these d series connectors would be also handy in other applications such as shorting plugs ,switch.ect.best part is there cheap as ,gold plated,and any old computer has them. just need some heat shrink on esc leads,and you dont have to have a tug of war to get them apart.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 05:21 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
I don't know if anyone has posted anything about holding onto the stator while winding but this is my winding stand, you can get the same results from taking a 5/16-18 cap screw (a long one maybe 5 in) screw a nut on all the way and snug it up. Now go to the grinder/sander and spin the nut down enough to shoulder on the non insulated part of the stator, Take another nut and do the same thing, put the stator on the screw and snug up the nut, clamp the screw in a vise and you have a third hand. This really helps getting the windings tight

POWER
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Jul 21, 2004, 05:59 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Easy and cheap GS stick mount.

To mount GBL motor on GWS stick (the one used for GWS gearboxes) you can get expenisive plywood monts or 5 minutes DIY.
Get GWS gearbox. I bought mine at LHS for $1.25 plus tax. Cut off the can mount and use the stick mount (see the pictures). Now glue it to BB tube (any CA is fine) and wrap it with thread (any thread is fine), then soak the thread with thin CA. It is the strongest mount you can get. And it's light too. My skale shows 1g so with the thread and CA it will be no more than 2g. Can you beat that?

Note: I have updated two pictures. Thy shouw the entire assembly. Motos uses GBL CF BB tube.

RysiuM
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
Last edited by rysium; Jul 22, 2004 at 09:29 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:36 PM
Evil Plane Doer
Westport, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,687 Posts
simple CDR mount

1 small ty wrap and 4 pieces of .050 CF rod
jskrebs is offline Find More Posts by jskrebs