SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Ron van Sommeren, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankg View Post
... This question may not have a place on your "sticky" but I can't find an understandable answer so I'm taking a chance. If it's out of place just disregard my question. ...
I will delete these posts later Hank, and/or move them to a new thread if you start one. I do this every now and then, to keep this sticky lean and mean.

What Richard/Rysium said

Volts jolt, current kills. And current wants to go up squared with voltage, increase will be higher than one would expect. I have made this very simple table which lists the effect of one/two extra cells on current:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...945#post594945
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...red#post591620

And since copper losses (=heat) go up squared with current (Pcopper = I² Rcopper, copperloses go up with voltage^4! E.g. double voltage gives 16 times more copperlosses, worst case.

Also: motor power wants to go up cubed with voltage.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
diy motor tipsDrive Calculator
diy motor groupCumulus MFC
• Get a life ... get a Watt-meter!!! •
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Apr 21, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Feb 2001
10,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysium View Post
... Because of iron losses at high frequency it will heat the stator, and because of surface current effect it will reduce the maximum current that wire can handle. ...
Skin effect does not come into play here Richard, frequencies are not high enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysium View Post
... - high switching frequency which reduces motor's efficiency (unlikely)
And low switching frequency also reduces motor efficiency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzie View Post
That's Dutch, it means something like 'best regards'
Are you a member of www.modelbouwforum.nl too?

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:47 PM
USA, MA, North Westport
Joined Feb 2010
33 Posts
I just rewound my 73 gram omega using 30awg wire three strands 9 turnes dlrk 12pole and it worked but I dont know what my kv or anything about how I should prop it can you help?
tzracer is offline Find More Posts by tzracer
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Feb 2001
10,854 Posts
I try to maintain this sticky as a FAQ, your question and the answers will be deleted. Better start a new thread for your question, more viewers/anwswers too. Win-win

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
diy motor tipsDrive Calculator
diy motor groupCumulus MFC
• Get a life ... get a Watt-meter!!! •
Old May 15, 2012, 10:40 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,108 Posts
Turn Calculator 5, Turn Calcultor 6, Simple Turn Calculator

Ron,

A while back manuel_v updated his turn calculator 5 spreadsheet to turn calculator 6 (he added the ABC wind) and posted it to a thread as an attachment. It is in a zip archive because *.xls it is not an file type that is approved for uploading and posting in it's native format.

The original turn calculator thread has died of old age and cannot be posted to any more so I was unable to add TC6 to that thread.

Your sticky would be a wonderful, and I think appropriate even, place to find Turn Calculator 6 (for DLRK, LRK, Half Parallel DLRK, and ABC winds) and also the quicker and easier Simple Turn Calculator (DLRK winds only). I've uploaded them here for your consideration. There are four as of now:

Turn Calculator 5 -

Turn Calculator 6

Simple Turn Calculator

Simple Turn Calculator V2

All of these calculators are *.xls spreadsheets that can be run under M$ Excel or the free OpenOffice.Org Calc softwares.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Last edited by jackerbes; Mar 27, 2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: add title
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:30 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron van Sommeren View Post
Removing windings from used motors.
Saw the 'winding heads' of, warm in oven and pull the windings from the slots. Pictures:
http://www.eschmidt.de/galerie/wicklung/index.htm
dead link
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:07 PM
Sweden, Gävleborg County
Joined Jan 2004
851 Posts
Things like that happens after seven years
MagnusEl is offline Find More Posts by MagnusEl
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:20 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
I know.

I was hoping for replacement with a corrected link or a pointer to other useful unwinding tips, or deletion of the dead link so searches for unwinding info don't land on it as primary.

As well as deletion of my post.

Now these 3 posts.

Thanks!
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:31 AM
Duh
grain valley mo, or about 25 minutes east of kansas city
Joined Jan 2004
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankg View Post
Ron,

This question may not have a place on your "sticky" but I can't find an understandable answer so I'm taking a chance. If it's out of place just disregard my question.

What happens to an outrunner when you use more battery cells in series to power it than the number outlined by the manufacturer. I know the rpm increases, and I've been told you can destroy the motor. Why and how does that happen with to high a voltage?

Regards,

Hankg
it's not the increase in rpm or voltage that destroys it but rather the increase of amps/watts pulled from the increased resistance from turning the prop faster. creates heat faster than the motor can shed it causing the coating on the winding to burn off thus shorting the winds out causing more amps until you let the magic smoke out, then it runs no more. typically you can get away with it if you reduce the prop size but sometimes it takes a drastic size reduction and some motors are allready such a high kv that they are allready pushing the heat/cooling curve allready. best to use an amp/watt meter if you are going to play with running higher volts than recommended and remember that it's the watts that burns it up not the amps, it takes fewer amps at higher voltage to get the same watts as higher amps at lower volts. volts times amps equals watts, thats why you have to reduce the prop size so you do not exceed the max watts, thats when the heat gets excessive. hope I haven't confused you more.
crashawk is offline Find More Posts by crashawk
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:06 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Jul 2003
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashawk View Post
... it's the watts that burns it up not the amps, it takes fewer amps at higher voltage to get the same watts as higher amps at lower volts. volts times amps equals watts, thats why you have to reduce the prop size so you do not exceed the max watts, thats when the heat gets excessive.
Crashawk
I can't agree with your statements above. It IS amps that causes a motor to heat up and burn the windings.
Look carefully at this formula: R x I² = copper loss.
R (or Rm) is the resistance in one phase of an outrunner motor. So, amps squared times the Rm is what causes the primary loss in a motor, i.e. the main source of heat.
In outrunners, iron loss is usually much smaller than copper loss and can also be calculated: Io x volts, where Io is the no-load current.

Christo
Skylar is offline Find More Posts by Skylar
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
hi there, i would like to ask about number of windings, if BL motor specification state 14turns (12 teeth,14 magnets) , does it mean total number of turns on one line (on all 4 teeth), or number of turns on one tooth, please ?
xener is offline Find More Posts by xener
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:58 AM
Unicorn
(Cordova)Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2002
1,815 Posts
Turns on one tooth
Jay C is offline Find More Posts by Jay C
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
i tought so, but im going to rewind turnigy G15 950kV , and im not sure how.
it has 22 x probably 32AWG in one strand , and when counting turns while unwinding it, it has 4 , 3.5, 4, 3.5 turns per tooth. Can`t find any information about this motor on the net, can somebody help me what gauge and turns per tooth i could use to get approx the same kV ? im thinking about 24-20AWG.

stator diameter is 27mm and length is 28mm.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:49 PM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Jul 2003
417 Posts
Usually, number of turns is "per slot", i.e. a 14-turn motor will have 7 turns per tooth. Have you ever wondered why number of turns are always even numbers?

Putting 14 turns on a tooth (for a 14-turn motor) would give a Kv of half the desired value. Don't ask how I know..

Christo
Skylar is offline Find More Posts by Skylar
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
nope, i never wondered why numbers of turns are alwayz even, because they are actually not.
for example scorpion`s motors - S3014-1040 13turns, S3014-1220 11turns, S3026-890 7 turns.. btw, what is slot ? two adjacent teeth in your example? one wire(phase) goes around 4 teeth on 12 pole motor, isn`t it ?
im sorry about my beginner`s questions, but i can`t find any info about this numbering.
so, in 14T motor, it means 14 turns per tooth, or per slot (two teeth) or per all 4 teeth in one phase ?