HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:07 PM
Real men fly scale planes
Port Richey/Tampa, Florida
Joined Aug 2003
157 Posts
That was supposed to say: switched to Norvel power AND GWS electrics!!!!!
Mad_Duk is offline Find More Posts by Mad_Duk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:20 PM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMA
Try it and see. But I am pretty sure that in order to get the speed to fly this baby you are going to want a prop with more pitch than the 47. The 3 blade may be just what you want. However, I dont know if the D gearing will spin it fast enough.

Jim
Agreed, Jim. But the charts show 9" 2 blade props doing OK, just not quite as good as the 10."

As to static thrust, I think it's most important for slow, draggy airplanes, like WW I types. THen that factor carries the most weight in a power decision. I'll be using a GWS 300 with 'D" gears for my Halberstadt build; swinging a 12" prop it efficiently makes quite large static thrust numbers.

With the Stuka, the 350 impressed me since I was looking for not only good static thrust, but also efficient use of power. The figures showing 11 oz. thrust also say it'll only draw 5.7A, well within the capabilities of the Pixie 7P ESC. Also, if a motor is capable of good static thrust, by 'upshifting' to higher pitch they've got the 'oomph' to keep up. I just had a good feeling with the 'D' gearing figures. We shall see.

Remember, the Stuka is by no means a speed demon. It was meant to be a stable bomb platform, and was pretty slow anyway, not a dogfighter.

If mine flys halfway decently I will be a very happy camper!

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:34 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Duk
Hindsight being what it is: the ailerons were linked and i used the outer and middle ones together, which, was NOT needed! had i just went with the outer ones only, she may well may be still flying today.

I have bought a comet Stuka on Ebay....to replace the dead one!

Cheers!
Paul "Mad-Duk" Mapes
in sunny Florida
Hey, Paul-

Yours was one of several Stuka builds I looked at when deciding how to do mine. If you remember, Jimmyray also built a successful one that used only the scale ailerons. I was going to do something similar to yours, except with thin carbon rods actuating the auxiliary ailerons, but after reading the posts I dropped the idea. I'm using vertical stubs of toothpicks to mount my nonfunctioning flaps and vertical Robart 1/2A Hinge Points for the ailerons. So far so good.

That Comet Stuka is of course a 'D' model, so it's like doing a whole different plane! I have one myself, though after the Guillow's kit I'm about Stuka'd-out for a while! Some serious reengineering will be required to keep me happy, like the Guillow's wing, the ribs sit atop the TE, which can easily lead to covering sagging

Since I've already posted it before, it's nothing new here; here's my own aileron/flap installation (see pic)

Glenn
Old Jun 19, 2004, 03:18 PM
Gravity Always Wins...
Medina, Ohio
Joined Jun 2003
228 Posts
Ran across these photos on the net. Apparently according to a book I have the Germans were planning an aircraft carrier. This was to be the naval version of the Stuka. Pretty cool.

Mike G.
bnl2001 is offline Find More Posts by bnl2001
Old Jun 19, 2004, 03:28 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnl2001
Ran across these photos on the net. Apparently according to a book I have the Germans were planning an aircraft carrier. This was to be the naval version of the Stuka. Pretty cool.

Mike G.
Yep, Mike, that's the Ju-87C. My primary color reference book from the Histoire & Collections series has a write up on it.

Only 10 were built, intended to be used from the Graf Zeppelin aircraft carrier that was never completed. Besides the folding wings, it also had clipped wingtips, an arrestor hook, attach points to carry a torpedo, and even a reinforced landing gear that could be jettisoned via explosive bolts in case of ditching.

Could be a neat scale subject on its own...even though the carrier was never launched, the dive bomber squadron intended for it had a neat squadron logo with an anchor on it to indicate its nautical aspect.

Glenn
Old Jun 19, 2004, 04:14 PM
Gravity Always Wins...
Medina, Ohio
Joined Jun 2003
228 Posts
Glenn,

Are you going to have room to fit your Li-Polys in that little area underneath the canopy?? I will be using Ni-Mihs but may have to use a stick configuration on the battery pack to make it fit. It's going to be tight either way.

Mike G.
Last edited by bnl2001; Jun 19, 2004 at 05:09 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 06:36 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Glenn,

Are you going to have room to fit your Li-Polys in that little area underneath the canopy?? I will be using Ni-Mihs but may have to use a stick configuration on the battery pack to make it fit. It's going to be tight either way.

Mike G.
Oh, sure, no problem...the 1200 mAh 2S pack is 2.5" X 1 3/8" X 1/2" and easily fits. I use Velcro strips so there are lots of options for getting it in (I'm installing the servos and such first and will work around that...I'm making this up as I go...lol) in general, then I can fine tune it be repositioning the pack.

Glenn
Old Jun 19, 2004, 10:36 PM
Gravity Always Wins...
Medina, Ohio
Joined Jun 2003
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2freighter
Oh, sure, no problem...I'm making this up as I go...lol
Ya me too, I think that's the been the best part....

Mike G.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 11:28 PM
Real men fly scale planes
Port Richey/Tampa, Florida
Joined Aug 2003
157 Posts
Whats In A Name?

Hey mu2freighter!

did you get that name from the old star wars game Tie fighter pilot?

there was a mission that you had to "inspect" a bunch of frieghters and the one with the bad guys in it was MU-2....................

just curious..............
Mad_Duk is offline Find More Posts by Mad_Duk
Old Jun 20, 2004, 01:10 AM
Gravity Always Wins...
Medina, Ohio
Joined Jun 2003
228 Posts
Gotta love the "Rice Rocket", Glenn can explain.....
Old Jun 20, 2004, 02:34 AM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Duk
Hey mu2freighter!

did you get that name from the old star wars game Tie fighter pilot?

there was a mission that you had to "inspect" a bunch of frieghters and the one with the bad guys in it was MU-2....................

just curious..............
Good guess, Paul, but nope. It's an ingenious screen name; had to think about it for weeks...LOL

Nah, it's what I do. I fly freight in MU-2s.

Glenn
Old Jun 20, 2004, 02:35 AM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Gotta love the "Rice Rocket", Glenn can explain.....

Oh, my, now that's funny!

I left this window open a few hours ago, just got around to responding without refreshing it

What are the odds of picking the same pic out of 154 on airliners.net???

See, great minds think alike...

Glenn
Last edited by mu2freighter; Jun 20, 2004 at 02:40 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 07:09 AM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,653 Posts
Quote:
even though the carrier was never launched, the dive bomber squadron intended for it had a neat squadron logo with an anchor on it to indicate its nautical aspect.

Glenn
the carrier was launched. the graf Zeppelin was partially destroyed by the germans at the end of the war. afterwords the russian used it al little while as transport ship. and used it as target for dive bombing units.
work commenced on laying down her sister ship and plans were ready to convert the ocean liners Europe, Gneisenau and Potsdam to auxiliary aircraft carriers. Graf zeppelin and her sister were to carry 30 Stukas and 12 naval 109's Europe 18 Stukas and Gneisenau and Potsdam each 8 Stukas. Later (in '39) Seydlitz would also be completed as a carrier carrieing 8 Stukas and 10 109's.
the C version of the stuka had rubber flotation bags in his fuse. these were disigned to keep a ditshed Stuka afloat for at least 3 days on a calm sea.when the ship was destroyed the some of the C's that were to operate from it were used in normal squadrons. they were used in the polish campaign and later.

Grtz
TOm
W@CC0 is offline Find More Posts by W@CC0
Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:37 PM
Gravity Always Wins...
Medina, Ohio
Joined Jun 2003
228 Posts
Quote:
Oh, my, now that's funny! What are the odds of picking the same pic out of 154 on airliners.net???
Glenn
Ya that is funny... It was the only respectable picture they had of an MU-2.

BTW: Does anyone out there know if there are any original WWII Ju-87 Stukas still flying today. I've never seen one even on TV so I would have to assume not. Too bad. I guess thinking about it, there aren't even but a few original German warbirds still flying these days at all.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 03:27 PM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Ya that is funny... It was the only respectable picture they had of an MU-2.

BTW: Does anyone out there know if there are any original WWII Ju-87 Stukas still flying today. I've never seen one even on TV so I would have to assume not. Too bad. I guess thinking about it, there aren't even but a few original German warbirds still flying these days at all.
nope non flying. there are only two survivors(in one piece). one in hendon, near londen, in the RAF museum. and one in a museum in chicago.

Grtz
TOm
W@CC0 is offline Find More Posts by W@CC0