SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:17 AM
Gravity Always Wins...
Medina, Ohio
Joined Jun 2003
228 Posts
Where Did the Stuka Projects Go ??

This past winter I remember that there were several folks including myself working on electric Stuka conversions. Mine got shelved for a while and I'm finally getting back to it and getting close to finishing it up. Just curious what happened to the others that were out there ??

I finally have the wings and tail surfaces covered in Doculam. It's hard to tell from the photo, the doculam stays clear even with lots of action from the heat gun. It wasn't as easy to work with as Solite but it works well none the less.

Mike G.
bnl2001 is offline Find More Posts by bnl2001
Last edited by bnl2001; Jun 14, 2004 at 12:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2004, 01:41 AM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnl2001
This past winter I remember that there were several folks including myself working on electric Stuka conversions. Mine got shelved for a while and I'm finally getting back to it and getting close to finishing it up. Just curious what happened to the others that were out there ??
Mike G.
Hey. Mike-

I started my own Stuka project in late January, but I've been plagued with delays all along; flu for a good deal of February, computer blowing a gasket and home repairs to have done March & April, etc., blah blah etc...just oodles of annoying delays. Makes me wish yet again that I was independently wealthy so I could devote more time to the important things!

This has also stretched on since I had several definite goals with this project, and it's turned out to be the most ambitious thing I've taken on in ages.

It had to be powered by inexpensive GWS power, and is to be a 5-channel ship; 3 axes, throttle, plus bomb drop. Also, I wanted to make it reasonably close to scale while keeping it as Guillow's-like as possible. I'm using as many of the kit-supplied plastic detail parts as possible. The exceptions were the supercharger intake, since the Guillow's kit is for a standard B model, but I wanted a tropical version, and the rear gun, which was hideous.

I detest the awful Guillow's balsa so I made all my own parts. This has contributed greatly to keeping it light, but of course took a fair amount of extra effort. The only outlines I actually changed were for the TE of the rudder, which I think looks bad as shown in the kit...the full size plane has a 4.5 degree, pronounced forward rake, and the rudder itself, since I wanted the overhanging rudder counterbalance the Guillow's 'scale' rudder outline omits.

I reengineered the wings, since I don't care for ribs that sit on the TE. I made the TE from thick bass and have the ribs butt into it so there's no areas to sag between ribs. BTW, that basswood TE, while a ROYAL pain to sand (over 2 weeks of evenings, but I'm not a superfast builder), turned out to be essential as I'm using scale externally mounted ailerons and (non functioning) flaps...balsa couldn't take that kind of stress but bass handles it easily.

Finally, since the decals in the kit don't match any Stuka that ever flew, I had to develop my PC graphics skills a bit, since I'm using a scale airbrushed finish for a JU-87B2 trop version that served in Libya...had to to justify that tropical air filter, y'know...

The good news is that I'm finally (gad I hope so, anyway) almost finished. The model's built, covered, and painted. I too covered it in Doculam/Clearfilm. I love this stuff. I had virtually no problems airbrushing it, and using masking tape de-stickied by pressing it to my pants leg a few times had no problems masking the color separation line on the fuse & cowl as well as the more complex one for the white fuselage band. All I did for preparation was to wipe down the surface with 91% isopropyl alcohol before painting to make sure any finger oils or other stuff were removed. The paint sticks pretty well, but I'm adding and a light protective overspray of Krylon matte finish to seal it once it's all done.

Just about all the fiddly little detail bits are made and painted. I have one or two fun surprises I added to this plane, since I was going over the top anyway, but they'll be in the build thread once I'm done.

Far as I can see, all I have left is to paint and install the vac-formed pilot busts (sawed off from the full figures in the kit), paint the canopy framing, gun, and tailwheel, then add markings and the protective overspray. I WAS going to do decals this weekend, but after printing them all out I discovered as I slid the first off the backing paper, that my eBay seller's distributor had supplied him with mismarked decal paper...it was all on clear, not white, film! He's sending me some white decal paper this week, and it's really not his fault the wholesaler sent him mislabeled goods.

Then I can get to the fun (uh huh) of equipment installation, and I'll be ready to do the build thread...and FLY the dang thing!

Happy surprise for me: After going through the second bottle of paint I started worrying this was turning into an overweight pig, so I put everything I could find (airframe, GWS 350C motor, prop & spinner, wheels, 1200 mAh 2S lipo, and so on) on the postal scale. Lacking only the wheel pants, canopy, pilot busts, and a couple of teeny detail parts the AUW was only 11.3 oz!

Back to work I go...

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Last edited by mu2freighter; Jun 14, 2004 at 02:08 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 04:57 AM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,653 Posts
my dad is building this one
not really a conversion, just an electric Stuka.
fiberglass fuselage, wooden wings and tail.
1.5m span

hmmm i think there went somthing wrong with the size of the pics
W@CC0 is offline Find More Posts by W@CC0
Last edited by W@CC0; Jun 14, 2004 at 05:03 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 05:54 AM
North of Vienna, Austria
Joined Dec 2002
76 Posts
Mine got to maiden stage, but it had problems with the Landing gear, lost a wheel during roll-test, nosed and broke the whole cowl. never thought there would be that much force in a speed 300 + 5:1 gear... Nearly rolled over! I'm trying to repair, but it seems to stay grounded forever. Maybe I'll get the foam-version ready and just take everything out of the balsa-wreck.
LaCroix is offline Find More Posts by LaCroix
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:39 PM
Gravity Always Wins...
Medina, Ohio
Joined Jun 2003
228 Posts
The landing gear

Guillow's has you wrap nylon thread around the gear wire as you snug it up to the spar. It took me about one minute to decide that this wasn't going to work well. So I managed to rig up something else that should work. Now to bring it all together.

Glenn I'm starting to druel seeing little sneak peaks of what you've done. Not fair, show us already!

BTW: What's your motor choice. I have a spare EPS-350 laying around. Is that overkill or what? Still waiting to see what the final weight will come out as to make the final motor choice. Sitting at just under 8 oz. so far with still the rx, battery and esc to go in not to mention all the covering left and some other small details.

Mike G.
bnl2001 is offline Find More Posts by bnl2001
Last edited by bnl2001; Jun 15, 2004 at 12:03 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:35 AM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Only flew my EasyBuilt 30" conversion a few test flights before damaging and shelving it. Did not want to turn with ailerons only and was underpowered but this was most likely due to an IPS motor that was "going bad".
Not at all happy with the painted solite finish. Also my aileron linkage was suspect.
If I were to do it over I'd use R/E (has plenty of dihedral) and cover in silkspan.
May do repairs some day (wouldn't take much) and try her again. For now I've moved on...

W@CCO,
That's nice! Your dad does good work!

-David-
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Jun 15, 2004, 05:14 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,459 Posts
Ya know.. you guy's are going to make me build another one of these..

Steve
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jun 15, 2004, 05:21 AM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W
W@CCO,
That's nice! Your dad does good work!

-David-
thx, I'll tell him

I've got a question for al you Stuka owners.
as you can see on my pics, we made scale ailerons and flaps. they are hanging under the wing. on our model only the ailerons are functional, but we can change the position of the flaps on the ground. my question now is, what is the neutral position of these things. and how do I set them before te maiden?

grtz, tom
(btw the stuka now has a tailwheel and struts for the stabilo)
Old Jun 15, 2004, 05:31 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,459 Posts
Tom, mine were set 0-0 with the bottom of the wing. They were adjustable via a dead link and clevis/ply horn. Partially deployed, they made the tips act like wash-out.
And made the ail less effective. I had rudder/ail coupling mixing. So, no problems turning. In fact landing & take offs were fun.

This plane was built in the early 90's (I.C.) so servos were not as small as today. But next time I will include flaps.

Steve
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jun 15, 2004, 05:53 AM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,653 Posts
there are 2 servos in the wing, one for each aileron. and there is allready some wash out in the wing without the ailerons. so do I have to set them then 0-0 with the bottom or a bit higher.
a third servo will be installed but this one is for the main bomb.

cya
tom
Old Jun 15, 2004, 08:42 AM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnl2001
Guillow's has you wrap nylon thread around the gear wire as you snug it up to the spar. It took me about one minute to decide that this wasn't going to work well. So I managed to rig up something else that should work. Now to bring it all together.

Glenn I'm starting to druel seeing little sneak peaks of what you've done. Not fair, show us already!

BTW: What's your motor choice. I have a spare EPS-350 laying around. Is that overkill or what? Still waiting to see what the final weight will come out as to make the final motor choice. Sitting at just under 8 oz. so far with still the rx, battery and esc to go in not to mention all the covering left and some other small details.

Mike G.
Hey Mike-

Actually, the suggested gear mounting is just the way I went. Lots of silk thread, well soaked with thin CA. It's way strong, probably the least of my worries.

Thanks for including another pic of your Picchiatello, David. I came perilously close to doing one for variety's sake, plus the Italians often used the tropical version with the big funky filtered air intake, as represented by the version I built. That thread, along with other cool Stuka threads, was not only inspiring, but a big help to me in (so far) avoiding problems.

I have prattled on about Stuka-this-and-that too much; It or some aspect of the construction or covering keeps coming up in ongoing discussions, like the current one on using Clearfilm/Doculam. Mine should be ready within 2 weeks, so my apologies for being a foot-dragging slacker. Ain't gonna mention the 'S' word again till then...if I can help it...lol

My motor choice was indeed the 350C, and after poring over those dense GWS performance charts for hours, I settled on the 'D' gearing. Optimal performance swinging a 10 X 4.7 2 bladed prop (11 oz. thrust @ 7.2V, 5 amps or so), so I am anticipating that it'll be okay with the 3 bladed 9 X 7. Even if it wants the 10 incher to fly well, it'll always be displayed with a 3 blade prop. Anything else on a Stuka is like dihedral on a Fokker Dr.I...repulsive looking!

As of last week, the model including everything except the wheel pants, canopy, and a couple of tiny detail parts was 11.3 oz. I think that my goal of a sub-12 oz. figure is about to be realized. Oughtta be good with 11 oz. thrust...I anticipate 1/3 throttle cruising for upwards of 30, maybe 40 minutes with the 2S 1200 mAh lipo battery...At WOT, the endurance would still be about 15 minutes or so according to GWS' figures

Glenn
Last edited by mu2freighter; Jun 15, 2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 04:45 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,186 Posts
You guys have some nice looking stukas. I too had been wondering what had happended to all these projects. It takes a while to finish a project like this. I can't offer any advice as to the aileron set up as mine only has R/E. However, I will reiterate the need for washout. Also wanted to share with you a small tale of woe... My guillows stuka is covered in silkspan and buyrete (sp?) dope. Good, light covering... However 2 years after completion (and after a few big crashes) my rudder is warping bad. I almost flew it the other day until I looked at the tail and realized that it simply could not fly as is. I am going to rebuild a new rudder and sheet it with 1/32 balsa over the next week. So, the flack about buyrete dope seems to be true. It does keep shrinking and can cause problems with fragile open structures. On the other hand, my wing is just fine. Hope that is helpful to any of you considering painting options. Keep posting your progress and good luck with the final building.

Alex
Rekitter is offline Find More Posts by Rekitter
Old Jun 15, 2004, 05:19 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Alex, thanks to you too, as yours was one of the threads I read while preparing for my own project.

I know what you mean about butyrate dope, I'm just surprised it took this long in your case. Love that nitrate dope!

In my case, I'm using Clearfilm airbrushed with Polly Scale acrylics in the correct RLM colors...I suspect continued shrinking will NOT be a problem for me to fear

Glenn
Old Jun 17, 2004, 05:10 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,580 Posts
Hi guys,
Mine is still coming along very slowly too.
My pc dies 2 weeks ago taking all my pics, my build pics for a thread here - I was gutted.
Once I get it panel beaten (the computer), I'll try and post where I'm at.
40" WS
230 sq" Area
Wing loading = 13-15 oz/ft (motorcalc)
Full house controls (+ future bomb drop)
either a GWS sp350 on a C box+9x7 or timed sp400 on a B box+9x6 & 8cell KAN 650 pack.
Fully sheeted except for tail feathers
Looks like it will be between 17-20 oz AUW
I'm quite happy with the weight as the wind here has not dropped for 8 months! so it has to handle wind.
Taxi trials look good, jumps out of the blocks when I open her up.
Carving plugs for the plastic vacforms at present.
Will stay posted
Phil

edit: spelling
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Last edited by Smokin' Beaver; Jun 17, 2004 at 05:12 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 05:39 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Smokin: When that happened to me, I took it in to my PC man, and he used some special software to copy 95% of the disk onto a new one.

There are tools that are available that go deep into the operating system, and will copy till they find a bad track, then skip it instead of trying to copy and ending up crashed.

Finfd a PC guru. You should get back most of your data.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1