HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2002, 05:29 PM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
would you pay for an actuator winding service???

well, the thought came across me that actuator coil winding is much too fiddly for some people,yet they want to do it. They go to cloud 9 and look for one, and then they see the 25$ + bill they would have to pay. Well no more! I would like to start making actuators for DPC boards, and distrubute them for 4$ or less. around 100 ohms each, and weighing just 1/2 a gram, these actuators are wound out of 41 AUG wire!

well, any people interested?
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Last edited by Paul Penney; Jan 14, 2002 at 05:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2002, 05:37 PM
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
heres a coil......
Old Jan 14, 2002, 05:39 PM
Eat, Sleep, Fly!
Joined Mar 2001
659 Posts
Actuators

What are the dimensions of your coils?

Will you provide leader wires installed?

Will you custom wind to other specs?
<><
JAMES
realglow is offline Find More Posts by realglow
Old Jan 14, 2002, 05:43 PM
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
dimentions:

actuator is about 8 MM in diameter, 2.5 MM thick and the hole is 3.5 MM wide.

leader wires are standard

I can custom wind to other specifications but only with 41 AUG wire.......

good to see interest!

Paul
Old Jan 14, 2002, 05:56 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
does std leader wire mean it is the same diameter as the coils or thicker?

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Jan 14, 2002, 06:15 PM
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
same diameter.

Paul
Old Jan 14, 2002, 06:40 PM
Peotone,Il USA
Joined Oct 2000
100 Posts
Im interested let us know when your ready
to take orders
joe price is offline Find More Posts by joe price
Old Jan 14, 2002, 08:10 PM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
I'm glad it is you and not me, $4 is way to cheap for me. Because I want to see many others going to coils, I will make you a deal. Would you like some 44 awg wire. I have a spool that did not turn out too well, still usable wire, just not as tight as I would like on the spool. It is yours for free, if you are willing to sell coils with it.

Philip
fill is offline Find More Posts by fill
Old Jan 14, 2002, 09:27 PM
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
fill,

You have a deal! Also, the whole reason I am doing this is for the hobby. obviously, 4$ isnt going to make me riches, but it will help a lot of people into Actuators with 20$ less cost!

I am going to ship them in envelopes in ziplockbags padded with kleenex (unused)

prices are as shown:

Coil and magnet= 5.50 + shipping
magnet= 30C a piece + shipping (min order is 2)
coil alone= 5.00 + Shipping

Chew on that skyhooks/cloud9!

Paul

note* magnets are NEODIUM magnets!
Last edited by Paul Penney; Jan 14, 2002 at 09:53 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2002, 10:09 PM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
I agree can't get rich selling for 5 bucks. I was(note was) selling magnet wire for $8, while each spool was over an hour of time invested, I can work at Taco Bell for that kind of Money! Not to mention I have over 70 bucks invested into the wire, couldn't find small quanties over here in the Americas. So now that 8 dollars was just paying for what I had invested, and yet again Taco Bell would have paid much better. Thanks to all, I have sold 13 spools and now finished. Half of my 2 pound spool is now gone, because no one got just an ounce, spools started at 32 grams+ or in other words 5600 feet of wire. Good luck to every one who bought wire, and hope you are happy with how the spools turned out. If not please e-mail me, to work something out. And Buddly6, I didn't keep your shipping address, so can you update me with your address, and I will get the wire out. Email me at fillupc@hotmail.com
Old Jan 15, 2002, 04:04 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,561 Posts
This sounds like I could jump on this.

Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
Old Jan 15, 2002, 04:26 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
I think most everyone interested in actuators should be interested. $5.50 each is cheap, versus $20 or $30 each. but, how do they work vs. a bird/

now just have to get some dpc's from sh&r! will these work with the sh&r dpc's?
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Jan 15, 2002, 04:51 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Just thought I'd mention that I already do this although I don't really advertise and my price is not quite as low as Pauls. I do mainly 200ohm coils with I think 44awg(0.05mm) wire and these have terminals. I sell these for 7GPB which is around $10. This includes a 3mm*2mm neo magnet and postage. I can do 100ohm coils as well and I use 0.065mm wire for these to keep the turns count up. There size matches the magnets and they look almost Identical to Pauls. Can't compete with those prices but I have to say that the coil winding process is stressful enough that I welcome others.

Graham
Old Jan 15, 2002, 08:49 AM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
Graham

I agree, you can't beat Paul's price. I wouldn't even want to do it for the price that you are selling it for. Not until you have a method down, the 30 dollars for a Bird sounds like a winner, I almost caved in a bought a couple after destroying a few coils trying to get them apart. Now that Paul will be getting some 44awg wire, he will also be able to play with other coil sizes. I don't under stand why you change wire size to go to a smaller Ohm coil. You said you go to .065 wire to keep the turn count up, does this give you more power? I don't know much about the physics behind this, but seems like a 100 ohm coil will always draw the same current regardless of the wire size?

Philip
Old Jan 15, 2002, 10:27 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
basically the torque is proportional to the current AND the number of turns. I could use the same wire for 100ohm coils but you start to loose out due to the no of turns going down. There is a happy medium as if the wire used is too thick the weight goes up and the sie of coil is such that the outer turns are inefficiently coupled.

Graham