HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2004, 01:55 PM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
How does one go converting a Wing to brushless?

Question:

If i were to convert a wing to brushless, how do you guys achieve balance with the new motor?

Case in point, the SP400 motor weights in at around 2.4oz. A Mega is one ounce more than that. Sure, you could just simply use another cell (which would also help performance), but that would create all kinds of problems. The battery bay is too small, additional money is needed for a new pack, etc.

Do you just add weight to the nose and fly or how do you balance your brushless wings without going with a higher cell count?!????

Posting this here instead of the power systems forum has it's propose. On a "conventional" airplane, you usually have a fuselage to move things around in. Not so in flying wings usually.....

Dennis
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Last edited by ScYcS; Jun 13, 2004 at 02:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2004, 02:43 PM
and this wire goes where?
Southampton Eastleigh, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
660 Posts
My brushless is home made, so I simply made it to fit around the c of g with a long prop shaft, but I've just got back from flying with a mate. His is not brushless, but has an "oversized" motor. He has simply trimmed a u shape out of the wing so that he can mount the motor further forward.

Dont know if that's of any use to you in your situation, but his certainly flew well!
Dongledell is offline Find More Posts by Dongledell
Old Jun 13, 2004, 03:33 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,419 Posts
Quote:
Case in point, the SP400 motor weights in at around 2.4oz. A Mega is one ounce more than that...Do you just add weight to the nose and fly or how do you balance your brushless wings without going with a higher cell count?!????...
If the BL is heavier, why would you add nose weight? If you need to compensate for a heavier motor, add a small amount of lead aft of the CG if you can't move any of the components. You won't even notice it. You'll be too busy trying to get a handle on that rocket in your hands anyway!

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 13, 2004, 03:36 PM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Well, with most wings, the motor is in the back, as a pusher. Ergo, with a heavier motor, i would need nose weight......
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Jun 13, 2004, 07:56 PM
Bought at a price.
Winfield, Kansas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,570 Posts
Depends on a couple of things.

1.) Some wings (Unicorn, Zagi) have battery bays that allow you to move the battery fore & aft in order to affect your cg. My E-Zipper Mk II, on the other hand, had a bay that was a tight fit for 8 cells of Kan 950. When I fit 8 cells of 4/5AUP, I had to do some major foam surgery widening & chopping foam from the rear of the bay so that I could shove the much heavier batteries to the rear. It worked out well & balances fine now.

2.) Unless you're using a fantastic battery pack with your current brushed motor, you will end up having to get new packs that will handle the brushless motor anyway.

Brad
777 is offline Find More Posts by 777
Old Jun 13, 2004, 09:26 PM
San Juan Marin Intl, Puerto Rico
Joined Jul 2002
765 Posts
[QUOTE=Dongledell]with a mate. His is not brushless, but has an "oversized" motor. He has simply trimmed a u shape out of the wing so that he can mount the motor further forward.

This is what I do for my devastator mega 4t and tp 2100 3s 5.1z. not weigh add. just 1/2 inch back .
windface is offline Find More Posts by windface