HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 12, 2004, 08:21 AM
KRC
Buy, Build, Crash
North Carolina
Joined Aug 2003
6 Posts
Here's a picture of my red Insulator in flight. The Johnson 250 and 2 Cell 1050 Li-Po combination that I am running provides plenty of power.

It is now on my bench getting some repair work done. On my last flight, I drove it into the ground hard enough to break off the nose. Some tape and Gorilla glue will have it back in the air. I have lots of experience repairing foamies.
KRC is offline Find More Posts by KRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2004, 09:19 AM
From the bowels of MI
Joined Apr 2004
751 Posts
KRC,
What prop are you using? What's your total weight? Your plane looks great BTW!
-Wayno-san
Wayno-san is offline Find More Posts by Wayno-san
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:19 AM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno-san
Byrocat,
Is depron readily available in Canada or did you have to mail order it? Also, how much does it cost? I live in the Detroit area (unfortunately) and it might be worth taking a trip across the bridge if the availability is there.

Fanfold is typically 6mm. So I would guess the same thinkness Depron would work well.
Pinnacle Hobbies in Markham carries it, in 3 and 5 mm sheets, about $5US for a 3x3 -foot sheet.
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Jul 12, 2004, 04:45 PM
From the bowels of MI
Joined Apr 2004
751 Posts
Well, I 'flew' the Insulator again today. I gave it a firm toss at full power and away she went. I made about 300 degrees of a large circle and then again the same situation happened. It seemed like it got into some kind of 'death spiral'. I wasn't able to control out of it. Nosed in really hard and pretty much destroyed itself. Oh well, onto number 2.

How are you guys cleaning up the sanded surfaces like the trailing edge of the wing? I was thinking of applying a filler of somekind (any recommendations?) and then sanding it down until smooth.

-Wayno
Old Jul 12, 2004, 09:02 PM
KRC
Buy, Build, Crash
North Carolina
Joined Aug 2003
6 Posts
Wayno-san,

I'm flying with the GWS hyperdrive 4025 prop and I'm at 9.5oz AUW.

As for the sanded surfaces, I had a problem getting tape to stick to it for attaching the control surfaces. I cut several 4 -5 " strips of tape and ran them around the sanded surfaces so that part of the tape was on the FFF film on the top and bottom. I did this all along the trailing edge of the wing and it seems to be holding fine.

Good luck with your next plane.

Ken
KRC is offline Find More Posts by KRC
Old Jul 13, 2004, 09:09 PM
rehsarCeoJ
Glenmoore, PA
Joined Jul 2003
253 Posts
I had some insulators out tonight.

The ducted fan version (blue) did a inside loop and tore the fan off. Need to work on getting that one to fly - maybe twin johnsons?

The Johnson version (green/silver camo) flew good.

The himax 2025-4200 (yellow/brown camo) HAULED...

I'll put a link out to some video tomorrow - I have to figure out how to compress it a bit. It's 32M right now.

Joe
JoeCrasher is offline Find More Posts by JoeCrasher
Old Jul 16, 2004, 01:29 PM
From the bowels of MI
Joined Apr 2004
751 Posts
I'm building two new Insulators side-by-side. Hopefully these will fare better. I'm going to pay more attention to weight this time and use probond when possible. One is going to be J250 powered (again), and the other a GB CD-ROM motor (not sure what wind yet). I was thinking of making one of the wing sets with a more airfoil shape by putting blasa dowels behind the leading edge fold. Anyone play with this? I also realized that by sanding the INSIDE wing surfaces (prior to the fold/glue operation), I will not have to deal with a rough trailing edge surface. I was also thinking of adding a carbon rod which starts at the nose, and extends to a little into the wing. I was thinking of doing this since the nose appears to take the majority of crash energy (at least from my experience).

Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions... especially if it has anything to do with the correction of my 'death spirals'.

-Wayno-san
Old Jul 16, 2004, 02:15 PM
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
492 Posts
We built a similar Delta in the Windy Day Flier thread. I talked with Bluman along the way and made the Delta with a folded over wing, like the Insulator, and also made one with an airfoil built into the wing, the same way you do when building a Zagnuts.

The flying characteristics are pretty much the same. The airfoil wing looks cool, but that's about the only improvement we noticed
pcaffeldt is offline Find More Posts by pcaffeldt
Last edited by pcaffeldt; Jul 16, 2004 at 02:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:38 PM
Bangalore Hindustan, India
Joined Apr 2003
593 Posts
Hi All insulator flyers

can you tell me where the cg is on this ?
deadly looking plane...blueman

Prashanth
Prashanth is offline Find More Posts by Prashanth
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:41 AM
rehsarCeoJ
Glenmoore, PA
Joined Jul 2003
253 Posts
Prashanth,

I checked a couple of my insulators & the cog on both is 5 1/4" back from where the wing meets the nose.

Here's a pic to clear up that description...

Joe
JoeCrasher is offline Find More Posts by JoeCrasher
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:48 PM
Registered Foam Abuser
Stone Mountain
Joined Oct 2003
1,592 Posts
This plane looks alot like the Insulator with the fuse mounted on the bottom.
This may be my next project...
jiggiba is offline Find More Posts by jiggiba
Old Jul 18, 2004, 12:32 AM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
I got to see Rob's little blue bullet fly last night and tonight after the indoor CAF fly-in, and this thing flies great! I tried to videotape it, but its speed and my limited focusing abilities with the camera made it almost impossible! And it slows down fairly well too, but this thing blows the doors off a Projeti (stock). The roll rate is way to fast to count. There was a jet turbine RC meet in the next town over, there was talk of having this be the 1/2 time show for the event! Very impressive work and great piloting.
Jonathan
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Jul 18, 2004, 01:05 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Sea Insulator

Jiggiba, do you know what kind of plane that is? Where? Plans? Anything at all would be great, love water planes. My latest;
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Old Jul 18, 2004, 08:53 PM
From the bowels of MI
Joined Apr 2004
751 Posts
Insulator #2 Maiden

Just to show that I'm actually building these things and trying to fly them here are a couple photos of my #2. #2 is my quick build using mostly hot-glue. J250 and a TP 3s 830mAh pack.

Unfortunatly the result of my maiden is in my last photo. The battery, receiver, and motor were ejected upon impact. It also took out my last 3030 prop. Even on my low rate this thing is way too roll sensitive. I was afraid to make the throws too small since I didn't know what the it was going to do. I threw it off a hill at 100% throttle. It went into a dive but luckily I pulled up and powered out of it. All was going well until I needed to turn (this thing is FAST) which resulted in overcontrol on the roll axis. After a few rolls in both directions I nosed it into the ground. As you can see the carbon rod really helped me out here. It looks like an easy repair. I need to add expo and give it a little more reflex for the flight tomorrow.... I think I also need to re-think my 100% throttle launches...
Last edited by Wayno-san; Jul 18, 2004 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 08:02 AM
From the bowels of MI
Joined Apr 2004
751 Posts
Took the Insulator out again this morning after completing repairs last night. I was able to save the 3030 prop by bending it back into shape. Seems to be holding OK and there is no vibration. I now have expo set on the elevons. I also decided to try a 2s pack to slow down the rate of crash... Unfortunately after giving it 100% power and throwing it it just spiralled down into the ground. I checked everything over and moved the CG a little bit forward and tried again... same thing. I didn't experience anything like this yesterday... not sure what's going on. On the second crash the motor came off and I don't have any glue with me so it looks like I'll have to wait until this evening to give it another shot. Does this plane require tons of thrust to get going?

Thanks,
Wayno-san
Closed Thread