HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:22 AM
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,853 Posts
EPP "zoom zoom" from www.aircraft-world.com

Anybody heard anything about this one? It looks pretty cool but a little steep as far as price....Or is it just another foamie 3Der

http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=2179

Be sure to check out the video. It looks quite stable, yet agile...

-Ted
Ted U is offline Find More Posts by Ted U
Last edited by twu01; Jun 12, 2004 at 11:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2004, 01:34 PM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
that same guy works with free air I believe, the guys who've put out the 2cool bipe, extra, and microbat. It seems their products are ptretty good, although I've never had any of them.

Rhett
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Old Jun 12, 2004, 01:53 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Here's a pic of the Zoom Zoom. I'm doing a review of it, been toying with it a bit. High quality epp kit. Large foamie for the little weight. Wing area is huge, lot's of control surface. Good flyer. I'll post some teaser videos but the review should be out next week...

Awesome performance on the Axi 2212/26 and PolyQuest cells. I'm using the bigger 1500's and still flies great.
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Jun 12, 2004, 04:17 PM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,368 Posts
I like it. Color me tempted.
Awakened is offline Find More Posts by Awakened
Old Jun 12, 2004, 06:16 PM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakened
I like it. Color me tempted.
Would you like to be colored pink, green, or yellow?

Well, it's 6;54 am here in Japan, and I've been up adding another kit to our selection (up to two, now!) of kits we're shipping overseas. See the addition here: E-Day "Fun Ultimate"

I haven't got the energy left to setup a "special" onsite for the Zoom-Zoom right now, but how about this, just for Ezoner's. If you order:
A Zoom-Zoom
with AXI 22 Series motor
and PHNX-10 or PHNX-25

I'll give you a $20.00 gift certificate that you can redeem on your next order (takes about 3 days to authorize the certificate - one offer per customer)

To take advantage of this, just paste the following into the "comments" section (under your "ship to" address") at checkout:
"ISSUE $20.00 GC for ZOOM-ZOOM BUNDLE OFFER - EZONE"

Now.... time for bed!

Cheers,

David
AC
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Last edited by NipponDave; Jun 12, 2004 at 06:19 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 06:23 PM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rroback
that same guy works with free air I believe, the guys who've put out the 2cool bipe, extra, and microbat.
Rhett
You're right. David Kyjovsky designed the MicroBat, and I'm pretty sure that the 2Cool is his design, too. The Zoom-Zoom is made by Hacker Model CZ, however, and David doesn't work for either company. He just designs a lot a planes and helps people put them into production...

D
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Old Jun 12, 2004, 06:26 PM
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,853 Posts
Dave,

Nice offer! How about a "retroactive" package deal for those of us who are "loyal" customers, hehehehe ...Hope all is well overseas!

-Ted
Ted U is offline Find More Posts by Ted U
Old Jun 14, 2004, 07:51 AM
Prague Ruzyne, Czechoslovakia (former)
Joined Jan 2003
479 Posts
Just found this thread. Maybe I can share some experience with my 3 (so far) prototypes.

For (outdoor) power setup, I prefer the 2212/26 Axi on 3 cells and 9x5 HD GWS prop, with some 1000 - 1200 -ish Lipo 3s pack. Such setup is typically about 330 - 350g, about right for outdoors.

For indoor (which was originally rather an afterthought), I prefer the 2208/34, 3s of 340 - 700 - ish Lipo pack. You can get easily under 300 grammes.

For CG, begin with the recommended one, then do some flight tests and try to shift the batteries a bit. In normal flight, you should fly level with only the slightest pull on the stick. Inverted, again you should have to push a little bit... but only a very little. This way you can get the most out of the plane (aerobatically speaking).

If the wind feels a bit too strong, you can try Harrier rolls into the wind. Or point rolls, or knife edge. Zero ground speed maneuvres are always a good crowd pleaser. Or you can fly a bit into the wind and start torque rolls. The plane will drift with the wind towards you, TR-ing. It makes you look like a genius, while it is not that difficult (if you can TR).

I have some cool zoom-zooming outdoor video footage, only missing the time to cut it and post it. Hopefully next week.

David
David Kyjovsky is offline Find More Posts by David Kyjovsky
Old Jun 14, 2004, 07:35 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
1,744 Posts
David,

Thanks for another great design. I have the 2Cool bipe, set it up for outdoors. Its weighing in at 13.1oz, can't wait for our winds to die down so I can fly again. It had a full-power close encounter with a steel park bench. Only a half-hour bench time and she was good as new. A balsa plane would've been wrecked, and a FFF would've bit the dust as well. Got to love your EPP designs.

BTW, did you design the Extra 3D by Free Air? I have one of those awaiting electronics. Very similar to the Zoom Zoom shown here, except not as elaborate a paint job, but it does have full-flying rudder and elevator and should weigh in around 12oz, perfect for outdoor flight with 30" w/span, while still having all kinds of power with a 1047 and Axi 2212/26 powerplant.
Johnny B is offline Find More Posts by Johnny B
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:23 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined May 2001
1,794 Posts
I just ordered the Zoom Zoom last night from ACW, cant wait to get it. I will be poweing it with a Hacker B20-22S in the GWS box though so some mods will be in order.

Cheers
Flint is offline Find More Posts by Flint
Old Jun 15, 2004, 05:05 AM
Prague Ruzyne, Czechoslovakia (former)
Joined Jan 2003
479 Posts
Johnny B,

I have designed a sort of "predecessor" to the Extra, look here. Free Air changed the profile of the fuse a bit for production, but the plane flies quite the same.

I am glad that you like my designs, thanks.

David
David Kyjovsky is offline Find More Posts by David Kyjovsky
Old Jun 15, 2004, 01:47 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
1,744 Posts
I should have an opportunity to fly the Extra in the next few weeks. I thought there was a connection between it and the Bambula, now I know!

It should be a great flyer. Its supposed to be the replacement for my T3DII, but I've added so much reinforcement to the T3DII that its almost indestructible now, so I'm still waiting to pull the electronics from the T3DII for the Extra.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 02:46 PM
London
Joined Jul 2001
1,034 Posts
this plane looks very interesting. how's the durability of the depron surfaces in, er 'incidents with unmovable objects'

Pete
Peter W is offline Find More Posts by Peter W
Old Jun 15, 2004, 03:27 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
1,744 Posts
The ailerons are EPP, so they should be very durable. From my 2Cool experience, they feel real spongey compared to a typical plane, but the slow flying speeds don't require the rigidity you'd normally want to have. They feel spongey on the ground, but control in the air is huge and precise.

The depron on the rudder/elevator should hold up well, as the tail of the plane normally doesn't bear the brunt of any close encounters with terra firma. My T3DII has depron surfaces, the worst that has happened is one elevator fin cracked (glue and clear tape, it was good as new), and the rudder hinges pull out on hard tail touches and have to be reglued. Over 300 flights, and the original depron tailfeathers are still there. If it makes you feel better, run a strip of clear tape wrapping the leading edges of both and a strip on either side about mid-way to help protect them from cracking.

This plane should be virtually indestructible. Worst is you crack the EPP, but it breaks very cleanly and can be reglued with Goop or epoxy and will be good as new.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 04:13 AM
London
Joined Jul 2001
1,034 Posts
I was looking at the R3D2 as a possible but now after seing this i'm not so sure...It does seem quite a lot to pay for that amount of foam tho....
So is this gonna be the thread when eveyone gets one of these cos I can never get enough info about stuff and junk!

Pete
Peter W is offline Find More Posts by Peter W
Closed Thread