HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2004, 09:48 AM
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
498 Posts
Yippee!
Here's a Plane for Windy Gusty Days

a'course you need to know your sticks, too, but at least this airframe will handle the wind. It's kind of a hybrid between a Delta and a flying wing.

A friend of mine and I were needing a plane that could take wind abuse with an airframe that cost less than a dollar.

We got the dollar part right in going with the blue

For the first airframe we read that deltas work well and went with a flat plate delta with a 36 inch span and about a 22 inch length and a couple of puller J250's on pylons. We tried both 3x3 and 4x2.5 props with 6 cell kan 650 batts. Its manuerverable like crazy and handles strong winds with stronger gusts really really well.

Then we got to fiddling around with ideas picked up here and there in the Zone and came up with a Delta that is this, so far. ( we'll get a pic up soon ) Without the airlerons its 18 inches long and 36 wide. But instead of flat plate we folded the leading edge up and over so it has a root cord of 9 and a tip cord of 3.5 ( that idea came from Gene's blu slo wing, sort of, and another Zoner who did something similar with a Wally Wing ) So its like we laid a flying wing airfoil on top of a flate plate delta.

The bare airframe floats across the living room like a hawk coasting in for a slow easy landing. It's predacessor takes a beating from the wind and still keeps on flying. We'll see how this evolution does in combining the two
pcaffeldt is offline Find More Posts by pcaffeldt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2004, 09:51 AM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
United States, TX, Del Rio
Joined Mar 2004
2,520 Posts
Will you think about haveing a kit? anyways Great JOb.
Keith43221 is offline Find More Posts by Keith43221
Old Jun 12, 2004, 10:02 AM
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
498 Posts
Naw, no kit, too much good will here in the Zone

As you read thru the threads here you will find a huge amount of good will with elders sharing with youngers just for the delight of it. But I will figure a way to put up plans. They are nothing special and use simple tried and true methods of construction.

And if you need help, just ask. It just generates more of that good will stuff.

Send me a PM if you'd like
Old Jun 12, 2004, 05:33 PM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
sounds like id love to have this plane I have a new 7amp pixie id like to use with some johnson motors with the wind the way it is around here lately I could use this one
daydreamer is offline Find More Posts by daydreamer
Old Jun 13, 2004, 09:48 AM
Minneapolis MN
Joined Sep 2002
1,666 Posts
Hey all,
Here is a pic of the first version as well the second. the first is a blast, and I am hoping for good things from #2.

-Sam
FLYWINGFAN is offline Find More Posts by FLYWINGFAN
Old Jun 13, 2004, 07:19 PM
Minneapolis MN
Joined Sep 2002
1,666 Posts
hey folks,
Me and my Bro went out today and shot a bunch of vids and a couple pics with the first delta. Here's my favorite still, and I am working on getting a video compiled. I'm also working on getting the second version in the air.

-Sam
Old Jun 13, 2004, 07:24 PM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
United States, TX, Del Rio
Joined Mar 2004
2,520 Posts
very cool
keith
Keith43221 is offline Find More Posts by Keith43221
Old Jun 13, 2004, 08:07 PM
Minneapolis MN
Joined Sep 2002
1,666 Posts
Hey,
OK, the video is up, check it out here; http://www.rcsites.net/sambo8813/ the link is right on my homepage. (To be courteous to my free webprovider, I don't post direct links to my videos) The quality isn't the greatest, but you will get the idea

-Sam
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:25 PM
Joined Jan 2004
46 Posts
Great looking plane, what performance do you think a dual motor j-250, with a sanyo 8cell 720 would have?
BrMIHI07 is offline Find More Posts by BrMIHI07
Last edited by BrMIHI07; Jun 13, 2004 at 11:35 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:31 PM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
Man, that thing looks cool bro!.. I would love to build one and check it out. Great Vid Good work keep it going..!
kram242 is offline Find More Posts by kram242
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:23 AM
Minneapolis MN
Joined Sep 2002
1,666 Posts
BrMIHI07,
Scale it down to 24-26 in span and performance should be fantastic!

kram242,
Thanks, I would advise you to build one, its fast to build, and a blast to fly!

-Sam
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:44 AM
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
498 Posts
Nice job on the video, Sam ! What was the wind speed, kind of sort of ? Was the wind gusting, if so about what speed for the gusts ?
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:59 AM
Minneapolis MN
Joined Sep 2002
1,666 Posts
The wind was 15-25 mph for all the flying in the video. I finished #2 and maidened it this morning in once again, 15-25 mph winds.

Speed: Because it has less wing area, it is faster than #1, and can't quite float in as well for landings, but it still lands pretty slow.

Maneuverability: Roll rate is faster, general turning radius is the same as #1, can't hold inverted quite as well on account of airfoil, but not bad

Wind cutting ability: About the same, perhaps slightly better.

So, once again a success. when I maidened it I used a 8Cell KAN650 and an 8Cell Kan950. The 650 was the best, and with a Lipoly, it would probably be even better.

Here is a pic after the maiden. the canopy is makeshift, I am planning on making something a little better, i haven't decided on if I will make anything to cover the electronics.

-Sam
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:06 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I like the airfoil!

It'd be interesting to compare 2 identical in area, to see if the airfoil really helps. I know it really helps the strength.

Did you brace #1 at all? I didn't see anything, not even tape.

BTW, nice footwork in the video... Bet you lived long in Dodgeball games
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jun 14, 2004, 01:38 PM
Minneapolis MN
Joined Sep 2002
1,666 Posts
Hey,
#1 Had a carbon rod on the bottom, although at first I did fly it with no reinforcement, and it flew well.
Right Off, I would probably say the airfoil does help. With number one I flair to a standstill on landings. Number 2 can't, but I don't think it is because of weight, I haven't totally figured it out yet,

Quote:
BTW, nice footwork in the video... Bet you lived long in Dodgeball games
Haha thanks, the battery felt low and I decided to land quickly rather than risk an inverted landing.

-Sam

PS. I am going to calculate the wing area of #2, and compare it to #1.