Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:20 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,227 Posts
Yippee!
Vid of my 26" homebuilt flying wing

Hi guys!

Here's a 6 minute vid of my 26" homebuilt Miniwing! It's quite twitchy in the air due to the shallow sweep of the wings (all commercial RC flying wings I've seen are swept back much more than that), but it still flies fairly well! The sudden changes in altitude you'll see in the vid were caused by a) the gusty winds, and b) the over-sensitivity of the controls! I think I need to move the pushrods into a hole closer to the servo. I cut the wing cores myself from normal white polystyrene (packaging stuff) using a hot-wire cutter. Specs of the plane are shown at the beginning of the vid.

Anyway, see what you think and I await your comments with interest!

Hogster's 26" Miniwing
It's 17.8MB, lasts 5m45s, and Quicktime is required.

Enjoy!
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:58 PM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
darn, don't have quicktime.....do you have other formats?
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Jun 10, 2004, 01:15 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,227 Posts
Sadly not I use a Mac.

It really couldn't be easier to download it though - go here:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

.... Well having said that I could have done it in DivX or something .... but that'd mean I'd have to pay to be able to do it! Paying = less money for this addictive hobby!
Old Jun 10, 2004, 01:28 PM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Oki, will do but have to wait until after work.....can't install it here...
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Jun 10, 2004, 01:31 PM
Brentwood, TN
Joined Mar 2004
24 Posts
thats a tiny plane! what did you make it out of
Kyle Jones is offline Find More Posts by Kyle Jones
Old Jun 10, 2004, 01:48 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,227 Posts
It's made from normal packaging polystyrene - the white crumbly stuff! It's the tape that makes it so strong. I got the tape ages ago with an EPP slope soarer called the WildThing ...
Old Jun 10, 2004, 01:58 PM
Brentwood, TN
Joined Mar 2004
24 Posts
so did you just sand it down or what... and where did you get that foam?
Kyle Jones is offline Find More Posts by Kyle Jones
Old Jun 10, 2004, 03:22 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,227 Posts
Believe it or not I found the polystyrene in my attic! My Dad probably rescued it from somewhere ... it came in large 2 inch thick slabs ...

I made a template for the airfoil at the root and tip by printing out the airfoils from 'Profili', sticking them onto some thin wood, and cutting the airfoils out of the wood. I then glued the templates to a wooden base, 13" apart with the smaller one set back 30 relative to the leading edges. I also cut two entrance slots at the trailing edge of each airfoil to allow the hot wire to enter the airfoil section. By passing the hot wire through this slot, and moving it slowly and evenly around the outside of the airfoil cut-outs, a wing core was formed! I then sanded them, epoxied them to a central wooden spar, added the elevons (balsa), and the tape, and the winglets (corrugated plastic), and then the radio gear.

As I mentioned above I don't think I had enough of a sweep on the wings, hence making it a little squiffy to fly. When I have another go at making one I'll make it much more swept back.

Pics:
Old Jun 11, 2004, 04:22 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
you said u wanted more speed? that seemed ok speed to me have u tryed a smaller battery pack? or even the j250 motor would be the go by the way how much wind was about when u took that video?
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Jun 11, 2004, 02:50 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,227 Posts
It was pretty windy, and at times it was having trouble making much headway at all. When it was going downwind on the other hand it was a blast!

I dunno ... maybe it doesn't need more power .... it just feels a little sluggish when climbing out. It only climbs at about 10-15, not to mention that I'm on full power all the time. I'd like to be able to do fast climbs (30-40) and then throttle down for more casual flying ..... I would stick a CDROM on the back but I haven't any spare P10 ESCs!
Old Jun 13, 2004, 07:16 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
hey im just curious what airfoil u used? RYAN BQM-34 and RONCZ also looks pretty good
Old Jun 13, 2004, 08:51 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,245 Posts
Hey, I like the jig you use. Great idea, makes for mass production!

Cheers
Paul

P.S 17 meg is not for my connection speed unfortunately
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Jun 14, 2004, 01:40 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,227 Posts
I think it was a Zagi 12 airfoil .... not entirely sure though ... got it from Profili .... although with the number of creases in it, it may as well be any airfoil!

Thanks gouch - it works fairly well. The only problems are the wire getting stuck in little notches/cuts in the wood on the way round - creates a horrid molten line down the foam. Also it doesn't seem to be the best method for cutting foam any denser than the standard packing polystyrene that I used. To get it to cut fast enough without going ripply, the wire had to be very hot. But as the tip of the wing is so much shorter than the root, the wire has to move at least half the speed at the tip when compared with the root. This makes a very bad cut at the tip end as the foam becomes seriously molten and comes out looking horrid! Perhaps I didn't have it hot enough? .... or too hot? Or perhaps I just didn't try enough. Well you can't really blame me - I only had two bits of the dense blue foam!

I'm sure I'll be trying to make a new wing in the coming months .... and this will be the place where I share the build!
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:25 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
where i think your going wrong is you have slack in your hot wire when your cutting or its your jig with a jig as u cut and u have a little slack its letting your wire drop below your airfoil level you should try using templates cut to your airfoil shape and glued into place this will keep the hot wire level and flush with your templates as you make the cut and when your cutting the slack in the hot wire is making your wire move up and down something like a plane gliding without anyone controlling it ever seen that? the plane will go up and down thats what i reckon your hot wire is doing
zagi 12 is thicker than zagi 10 u should try 10 u might get the speed your looking for?
also look at msa182,Rhodes and sipkill there are heaps of weird looking airfoils i was laughing at heaps thinking to my self how the hell do they get a plane to fly? hope my 2 bob helps
Old Jun 15, 2004, 04:27 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,227 Posts
You're probably right .... but the thing is, to get it to move more than 5mm/second at the tip end, the wire has to be very hot, and at that heat and at such as slow speed, it melts the polystyrene at a fixed radius around the wire. Maybe I should try a thinner wire so it doesn't have to cut through as much polystyrene. As I've mentioned before, the standard white crumbly packing polystyrene is very easy to cut with a hot wire ... but the denser blue-cor style stuff is much harder. It could be that I'm using the wrong stuff too. The stuff I call Blue-cor is actually roof-insulation and it is extremely hard and dense - how soft is the REAL blu-cor?

Thanks