HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2004, 04:54 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
Maidened my first E-glider today....

I bought the VX400 glider from Hobby People when it was on sale for 59.99. I thought, for that price for an ARF fiberglass fuse and balsa wing, I'll try it.

Set up is AXI 2212/24, Graupner CAM 9x6 folding prop, Irate 1100mah 3S1P and Castle P-25. Plus 3/4 oz lead on the nose to balance at 2 3/4" from the leading edge. AUW 23.2 oz. I tried the recommended 3 inch for LE that the review on the zone said, but I found that she tucked in too much on a dive. This way, she is neutral on a dive.

Maidened her today. She thermals great! This is my first e-glider and I am hooked. The VX carries pretty good speed when cruising. I did a few loops and rolls and she handled them OK. Also did some dives and the wings did not seem to flutter or flex. The Irate pack afforded me two flights with about 5 climbs each. The motor could use some more oomph though as I needed to put in some down elevator to keep her from stalling on a steep climb. But she gets up pretty fast anyways.

If you see a VX400 in a shop near you for the price I paid for it, I highly recommend it.

JT
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
Last edited by BING!; Jun 09, 2004 at 04:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2004, 10:38 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,146 Posts
Bing, Congrats on the maiden!
I love thermal hunting and slope soaring!
Just wait til you try 3M E-gliders. You'll never turn back!
jc
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Jun 09, 2004, 11:36 PM
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
It always puts a smile on the face after a nice maiden flight(after the nerves settle down). You might want to try a 10x6 prop, a bit more torque for the climb. And as JC said try a 3m plane they are awsome!
Doug
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:59 AM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
BTW, my biggest surprise with this glider is that the cruise speeds are pretty fast. I always thought that they would be go almost in slo-motion with the throttle off. The VX eats up sky much much more than I expected. I am sure the 3M gliders will be a blast. I am trying to sign up with San Fernando Vally Silent Flyers and have an invite to be a guest flyer. After I fly there, I guess I will have an idea of what I want next.

JT
Old Jun 18, 2004, 08:31 PM
Segelflugzeug esgeht nach oben
Virginia - Birthplace of Presidents
Joined Jan 2003
305 Posts
Flying fast at cruise

Well, you are flying a heavier ballasted glider when the motor is off.

My intro into E sailplanes was with a 20 year old glider that I first learned to fly on.
A hacksaw to the nose and a battery and MAirscrew geared flight pack w/ folder and voila...E sailplane.

It thermals, but not as easily as it used to when it was 5oz/SF vs. the 10.5 oz/SF it is now.

But boy that extra weight sure helps when coming back from a downwind thermal.

3M are super.

And a pure "NON - electric" 3M is really fine , ....but I don't want to start an arguement with you diehard sparkheads.
AllThumbs is offline Find More Posts by AllThumbs
Old Jun 19, 2004, 12:51 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
You'll get no argument with me! I am currently trying out DLG with Seeker and am working my way up to the good stuff (3M and fully molded airframes) but am developing my flying skills and professional skills (to afford the good stuff)

JT
Old Jun 19, 2004, 07:55 PM
Segelflugzeug esgeht nach oben
Virginia - Birthplace of Presidents
Joined Jan 2003
305 Posts
Cool.

Don't get me wrong folks...electric is great, if it wasn't ....I wouldn't be sinking my hobby bucks into like I've been doing the last two seasons.

But there is a difference in performance.

I'll bet with this Electrified Oly 650 - wing loaded as it is now, I'm flying right through light lift without even knowing it is there,.... the kind of light lift that you could read on a lightly loaded sailplane and that used to have it going UP.
AllThumbs is offline Find More Posts by AllThumbs
Old Sep 20, 2004, 01:20 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Joined Aug 2003
4,146 Posts
Hey BING!

How are you doing, dude?
Any updates with this plane? Any new and bigger planes in the hangar?
After my Graphite E explosion I got a Stork 2 Pro. The Stork2P is 127 inches of flying bliss!

jc
Old Sep 20, 2004, 01:33 PM
Cal
San Gabriel, California
Joined Aug 2004
1,583 Posts
What's a 3M glider?

I was planning on getting the E-Flite Ascent as my first electric glider. Do ya think going with the VX400 might be a better way to go??
Cal is offline Find More Posts by Cal
Old Sep 20, 2004, 02:05 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Joined Aug 2003
4,146 Posts
Cal,

3M = 3 meters or about 10 foot wingspan.
The Vx 400 looks good. It seems (from the number of your posts) that you already have had plenty of flights... so I say go for AT LEAST a 2M (2 meter) plane. The bigger planes can penetrate and handle the wind better. The Omega E 2M from NorthEast Sailplanes is one of the better planes out there. I'm sure others here will have suggestions as well.
jc
Old Sep 20, 2004, 02:30 PM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Quote:
Just wait til you try 3M E-gliders. You'll never turn back!
4M E-sailplanes are even better !

My current one : Thermik XL , all molded, from Valenta Models, ailerons, flaps, elevator, rudder, motor.
Motor is a Kontonik drive 502 ( FUN500-27 with 5.2:1 gearbox), driving a 18x11 prop, 11 2400 mAh cells

The battery pack will give me three 1-minute climbs, with each climb getting to approx. 700ft. (according to picolario), so even with little or no thermal activity at all, 15-20 minute flights are the norm.
More often than not one battery pack will let me fly for an hour or more.
Oftentimes, the limiting factor is not the sailplane's, but my endurance.....

Michael
MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT
Last edited by MTT; Sep 20, 2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 02:42 PM
Cal
San Gabriel, California
Joined Aug 2004
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats
Cal,

It seems (from the number of your posts) that you already have had plenty of flights... so I say go for AT LEAST a 2M (2 meter) plane.
jc
That's funny.........No, I'm not that experienced. I just like to ask a lot of questions before I dive into something......(pardon the play on words. )

I've only been flying for a few months, and finally got the Slow-V (similar to teh Slow-Stick) down where I can fly it on high-rates and do some basic loops and nail my landings........

So I was looking at the E-Flite Ascent as a way to test out the electric glider arena............You think an Omega E2M would be a better way to go? I went to their site and they also have a smaller version called the 1.5E Poly that they say is more suited to novices...............

Decisions, decisions..........

To the original poster...........Sorry for hijacking this thread.........It just seemed like such a good segway...........
Cal is offline Find More Posts by Cal
Old Sep 20, 2004, 02:56 PM
Texas Ranger
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2004
2,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BING!
You'll get no argument with me! I am currently trying out DLG with Seeker and am working my way up to the good stuff (3M and fully molded airframes) but am developing my flying skills and professional skills (to afford the good stuff)

JT

Sounds like you're in almost exactly the same position as me. I'm currently flying a Spectra (2M RE balsa) - and taken out the junk stock motor and put in a Mega brushless setup and 10xGP1100's - performs beautifully. And like you I've also got a Seeker to play around with. I've found that the little Seeker has taught me WAY more about thermals than the big plane, in fact my first "real" lift was found with the Seeker. It's so much easier to really get a feel for what's going on with the air when it's so close to you. And like you eventually I'll work my way to higher-performance molded ships - I chose the drivetrain for my Spectra so that it could easily be transferred straight into a warmliner later on.
Neil Walker is offline Find More Posts by Neil Walker
Old Sep 20, 2004, 03:35 PM
"Up Chuck-Up Chuck"
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.
Joined Aug 2004
1,204 Posts
vx400

Ive seen the VX400 at my LHS for $99. Its exactly what Im looking for in a smaller ship for a small park in my neighborhood but for that price I might as well purchase my 2nd 2m for a few more $$. I cant find the VX anywhere online and HobbyPeople dont have it listed.
Wish I had seen it earlier, sounds like a good deal.
mdlifcrisis is offline Find More Posts by mdlifcrisis
Old Sep 20, 2004, 03:56 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Joined Aug 2003
4,146 Posts
Cal,
Oh OK. not that experienced... no worries I ask a lot of questions too
I'm really not big on beginner planes. My very first plane is the Kyosho Viento. I put a BL system in there after a few flights. It's now been converted to pure glider and slope soarer--no motor. As long as you have an experienced pilot next to you on your first flight then you shouldnt have any problems. The first flight on my Viento was with an experienced pilot...The second flight was a solo and have never needed anymore training since.
WAIT!!! It's actually been 1 year since I started flying!!! Wow COOL!!!
Anyway, I think sailplanes are very versatile. Some can go fast if you want and can slow down to a crawl if you want. So to begin with I think it's best to get a jack-of-all-trades sailplane. That way you can try it and see what fits your flying style most. I chose the Viento coz (from what i read) it thermals well, flies fast enough for highspeed dives and aerobatics and penetrates the wind well. Now I have a 3M Stork 2 Pro which does what i like best (thermal and warmline really well).
By the way... have you checked out the Unicorn? It's from Unicornwings.net. I love that plane, too.

MTT,
i want that Thermik XL!!!! I actually looked at that when I was shopping for my first 3M moldie. The wifey got me the Graphite E instead (loved it). Then Graphite's wings blew up at 2400 feet so now I have the Stork 2 Pro.

jc