Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 09, 2004, 12:09 PM
I wanna fly!....
UK
Joined May 2004
124 Posts
Removing tail boom from darn body!!

Hi all!

I have just got my MIA tailskid and other stuff. The put the darn tail skid on I had to remove the tail rotor housing, in the mean while (while hacking it to pieces!) I must have cracked the boom because now if I twist the boom it just twists soooo easy! So anyway, now I am going to have to change the whole boom, so how do I get it out the main frame? and is the aluminium boom from helihobby worth the hassle, I already have g10 frame and Head stiffener, and think maybe my heli is a little heavy?

Mark!
markswift is offline Find More Posts by markswift
Last edited by Fred Bronk; Jun 10, 2004 at 12:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2004, 12:12 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift
Hi all!

I have just got my MIA tailskid and other stuff. The put the darn tail skid on I had to remove the tail rotor housing, in the mean while (while hacking it to pieces!) I must have cracked the boom because now if I twist the boom it just twists soooo easy! So anyway, now I am going to have to change the whole boom, so how do I get it out the main frame? and is the aluminium boom from helihobby worth the hassle, I already have g10 frame and Head stiffener, and think maybe my heli is a little heavy?

Mark!
I just did the same thing as you. You can either twist the boom unitl it breaks free from the frame side, or you can cut it and drill it out carefully. I don't know about the aluminum one, I just got another carbon one.
EddieNewYork is offline Find More Posts by EddieNewYork
Last edited by Fred Bronk; Jun 10, 2004 at 12:16 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2004, 01:26 PM
I wanna fly!....
UK
Joined May 2004
124 Posts
What method did you choose eddie? I am fed up of fixing this thing! my tail motor just burnt out in 1 flight! crap!

I heard that they do not like turning the opposite way? I think the original tail prop was better than the orange GWS??

Mark
Old Jun 09, 2004, 01:53 PM
Raleigh/Durham Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Nov 2003
72 Posts
don't get the aluminum ones they're super soft and bend real easy and are way over priced. when i changed my stock boom the first time i had the same problem i snapped it off and soaked it nail polish remover for a couple hours that softened the glue up enough to pull out remnants. when i installed the new boom i took a set screw from a pinion drilled a hole on top of the frame where the boom slides in tightened the screw down works perfect. hope i helped.
nevel64 is offline Find More Posts by nevel64
Old Jun 09, 2004, 05:58 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
i've heard of two ways to remove the boom.

1) soak the join in STRONG nail polish remover...apparrentl there's a weak and strong one

2) Heat the join with a heat gun to soften the joint.

I tried 1) with standard nail polish..no luck

I tried 2) with hair dryer.....no luck.

I think nevel64's idea for remounting is a good one....one of those tiny little servo screws. That's what i'll do on my new frame i'm building. Thanks Nev !
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Jun 09, 2004, 07:19 PM
Joined Jul 2003
56 Posts
All I can say is that acetone worked for me.. but it was tedious at best.
I will not CA a tailboom in my HB bodies any more.
I have now resorted to mounting them back with 2 small bolts and it has worked great.
Break a boom or want to change the whole boom/tail/motor assembly?.....
Now its a breeze. just undo the nuts and bolts and pull the boom out of the socket.
Todd G.
Todd G. is offline Find More Posts by Todd G.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 03:06 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift
What method did you choose eddie? I am fed up of fixing this thing! my tail motor just burnt out in 1 flight! crap!

I heard that they do not like turning the opposite way? I think the original tail prop was better than the orange GWS??

Mark
Are you using the stock tail motor, or the small dc motors from allelectronics.com? At the moment, I'm flying for less than a minute, stop, let the tail motor cool, and do it again for a minute. This is just a temporary high, until I finish building my cd-rom motors. I just don't want to deal with these brushed tail motors anymore. However, for just light in the house fun, the stock tail motor that came with my HB worked pretty well, it never got hot. The only downside was that it only lasted for about a month. From what I"m hearing I think the best solution if your going to stay brushed is the dual tail mod.
EddieNewYork is offline Find More Posts by EddieNewYork
Old Jun 10, 2004, 04:41 AM
I wanna fly!....
UK
Joined May 2004
124 Posts
Hi,

I am using a motor that looks like the B2C motor, its from my supplier in hong kong, I think that this motor does not like to be run backwards? But cannot remember if I went back to the orig tail rotor that it would be running the right way? Oh well

I have put on my G10, heatsinks, head stiffener, the list is endless, my heli now looks a new beast! BUT, not sure if the weights to much? When I get the heli in the air, it kinda rocks bacwards and forwards, its horrible, BUT, I think that might have something to do with me not putting the plastic spacer in the swashplate! how much slack!!!!!? I should do the ball in swash?

Best regards

Mark