Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 08, 2004, 10:37 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Uh-oh, is this the end for me?

In my modelling career, never has there been a hobby shop less than 15 miles away from me, and there's only 1 within a 25 mile radius......until now. A Hobbytown USA opened up this past weekend only 5 minutes away from me. I stopped by tonight, expecting to be really dissappointed based on all the stuff I read here and on RCU. I was pleasantly surprised! There were probably two dozen plane kits and arfs out on the shelves (which is just as many as the other not-so local hobby shop) and the range was not too bad, Selections included the new GP RV-4 park flyer, the GWS Pico Cub, a GP .40 Cub, and several others. Needless to say, tools, paint, hardware, covering, all neatly arranged in little rows, not like the mish-mash at the other place I go. Heck, there were even thunder power and kokam li-pos in the case. My only complaint is that when I lost a set screw from the dubro ez-adjusters on my wasp, thereby grounding me, they were closed......not that I can blame them; it was after 8pm.

So, now that I have all this wonderful stuff 5 minutes away, am I doomed? Will my wallet start shrinking at an unprecedented rate? Or will I become spoiled now, and start complaining when they don't have my favorite CA hinges in stock?
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2004, 11:36 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
I suppose it could be a blessing or you are doomed...depends on how often you visit the shop!!!
I think it would be nice to have a shop close for those inevitable little things you need for a kit. I am not so lucky...the closest shop is 3.5 hours away! I have to do a lot of mailorder...just waiting for that tiny screw I need.........
How are their prices? That would probably factor in on the doom vs blessing thing.
Anyway, good luck and enjoy the new hobby shop.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2004, 12:33 AM
Al the Alien's Keeper
Ridgecrest, Ca
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
LOL! I love that Matt! It would kill us to have something that close. The only hobbyshop here is town is run by a car guy who is rather rude. And he's pretty much told us he doesn't care about us flyers. The little bit of airplane stuff they have is WAY over prices. So since we are so far from everything (Middle of the California desert) we do alot of ordering online.

If we had something that close we would be doomed! Cause I love this stuff as much as him.. There is no restraint there. :P
Kimmers4Ever is offline Find More Posts by Kimmers4Ever
Old Jun 09, 2004, 12:36 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,693 Posts
lol...you're done...that's it. I have a Hobbytown about 20 minutes away and a smaller LHS (the kind with stuff just crammed everywhere) 10 minutes away. Both are fun to visit and very different. Somtimes I feel pretty good just walking out with nothing-but that is pretty rare. If I find myself in either store there is almost always something I end up getting. So, you will be good for their business I predict! Make sure to get the card if they have one so you can get 10 bucks off every now and then.

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Jun 09, 2004, 08:30 AM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Oooh, cool! They have a discount card?! They were still kinda unpacking stuff when I was in, so they didn't have all the signs and displays up yet. I'll have to ask about that. The prices are surprisingly good, too. The airplane and heli prices on the kits they had were on par with Tower, Heliproz, etc. 'Course, I'll still have to visit the other little rathole LHS, since he's always gotten what I need within 3 days if he doesn't stock it and carries a few hardware lines I didn't see at the new joint. Great, it looks like I'm doomed ......
Old Jun 09, 2004, 12:19 PM
Al the Alien's Keeper
Ridgecrest, Ca
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
And it looks like you'll go down with a smile on your face. LOL!
Kimmers4Ever is offline Find More Posts by Kimmers4Ever
Old Jun 09, 2004, 06:40 PM
Brentwood, TN
Joined Mar 2004
24 Posts
Heh, well I guess I'm pretty spoiled because hobby-lobby international is about 5 minutes from my house..
Kyle Jones is offline Find More Posts by Kyle Jones
Old Jun 09, 2004, 07:01 PM
prop hangin it (stock)
Philadelphia Pa/Wilm, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Apr 2004
206 Posts
Well I have 3 LHS all 5-15 minutes away, so I guess you would think I'm you're wrong if you did , I would be if I COULD DRIVE .. mom/dad has to take me everywhere - so I don't go often (you know, thats JUST what they wanna do on a saturday evening.. goto a Hobby store =\) =( 2 more years
joe_d is offline Find More Posts by joe_d
Old Jun 10, 2004, 03:29 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Have you considered WALKING or USING A BICYCLE?

At anaverage speed of 30mph, 5 to 15 minutes equates to 2.5 miles to 7 miles.

2.5 miles is walkable in UNDER AN HOUR, and cycle-able in ten minutes..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jun 10, 2004, 08:04 AM
√-1 * ∞ = Inverted Flight
Sioux Falls SD
Joined Apr 2004
107 Posts
I absolutely love my Hobbytown. If they don't have it they'll order it in, and I don't have to pay shipping! Plus the prices beat hands down, any online retailer I've found.
Save $ up front + save $ shipping = more goodies!
tkgavette is offline Find More Posts by tkgavette
Old Jun 10, 2004, 09:52 AM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
V1,

I think you've got a good point there. I'm a bit lazy to hoof it that far, but maybe I can limit my spending if I only visit the store by bicycle. That way, anytime I want to go to the shop, I have to dig the bike out of the shed and pedal, and I can't buy anything I can't carry. Problem is, I know I'll wind up adding a big luggage rack to the bike......
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:46 PM
prop hangin it (stock)
Philadelphia Pa/Wilm, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Apr 2004
206 Posts
150 Baltimore Pike
Springfield
PA
(610) 544-7007
3 Miles

1502 West Chester Pike
West Chester
PA
(610) 696-9049
12 Miles

3miles/12miles on a bike would still take a while, and you can probably see (well, probably not, but): they are both on VERY busy roads and my mom might not feel safe =\
joe_d is offline Find More Posts by joe_d
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:08 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,276 Posts
How about this? My LHS is owned by my closest friend. If something new comes in he calls me. If I express interest in something it's usually "take it with you. Pay me when you can". Need I say more?
When a new item shows up more often than not he will say take it home and look it over. Let me know if it's something I should stock. It's a tough life but somebody's got to do it.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Last edited by BillM; Jun 10, 2004 at 10:12 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:00 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
If I were you, get a good divorce attorney .
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:21 PM
led
Broomfield, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
281 Posts
i can't fault the HobbyTown here.
If I had around $400 I could walk out of there with a pretty nice brushless powered plane & radio with a TP2100 Lipo pack as well. Well maybe $500.
Plus all the people that work there are friendly and knowledgeable enough.

-led
led is offline Find More Posts by led