SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 08, 2004, 07:21 AM
www.aeropic.co.uk
Shropshire, England, UK
Joined Nov 2003
329 Posts
Castle Creations's customer support

Well, I am very impressed: my Phoenix ESP stopped working and within a few days of e.mailing them a new one arrived with a return envelope in which to send the broken one back to them.

I live in the UK, and CC are in the USA. They didn't ask for any evidence or proof that I had purchased the ESP (from a third party), or that it was broken.

Castle Creations: I take my hat off to you. Well done and thank you.
edthedoc is offline Find More Posts by edthedoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2004, 07:26 AM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2003
1,380 Posts
Maybe Pat has ESP and knew you were going to return it.... har... har...
ScubaSteve is offline Find More Posts by ScubaSteve
Old Jun 08, 2004, 07:48 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,793 Posts
Good that they handled it well, bad that the ESC died in the first place ...
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jun 08, 2004, 08:10 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Castle know that about one ina few hundred of any bit of electronics can pass final test and still be DOA or dead within a few minutes due to a manufacturing error.

The fact that they acknowledge this, and do their best to keep the customer happy, is why they are probably the most popular ESC manufacturer.

Customer services is somethig that accountants never understand. You can never prove that good service means more sales. Every customer service operation always looks like a net loss to the company - a cost center- and unlike marketing, where they can (and attempt to) associate every rise in sales with a successful marketing campaingn costing millions, the poor old service depatment usually gets hacked to pieces.

I had a US robotics modem that got struck by lightning. Direct hit on the phone line.

Lifetime guarantee. new one in the post. They told me its cheaper to replace than repair, and the cost of administering a repair and returns section exceeded the cost of the odd free modem now and again, and the cost of building in lightning protection exceeded the cost of a few free modems each year.

Castle are obviously small enough and smart enough to understand that sort of logic.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jun 08, 2004, 08:15 AM
No Dear its not a new one
Joined Nov 2001
2,505 Posts
I had exactly the same experience when my CC P10 died. Called them up and had a new one with return envelope for the old one in a few days. They really know what customer service means.
hotairflyer is offline Find More Posts by hotairflyer
Old Jun 08, 2004, 09:55 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
Castle know that about one ina few hundred of any bit of electronics can pass final test and still be DOA or dead within a few minutes due to a manufacturing error.
None of the other manufacturers (Jeti, Kontronik, Hacker, Model Motors, etc.) seem to have similar failure rates though, just look at the volume of CC problems posted here on RCGroups (many of which appear to be software bugs now).

I agree that Castle's aftersales service seems excellent ... but IMO people need to use it far too often

Incidentally, I converted a model from nimh to LiPo recently and Kontronik added LiPo cutoff mode to the ESC for just 8.62 Euros plus postage. They turned it around in a day, supplied a new manual, and even replaced one of the motor leads where the insulation had been slightly damaged (no charge). I have never needed their customer service before, and was very pleasantly surprised.
Old Jun 08, 2004, 12:30 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
I had a Jeti DOA. I had burnt one out. Got another and plugged it in. Nothing. Took it back and got another one..

Castle have a bigger market share than anyone else.

I know how easy it is to have a little bit ogf corrosion on a PCB that gets missed, results in a bad joint, and, once its been shipped around a bit, an open circuit.

To test everything totally costs money. The sorty of money we (should have spent) on the Beagle Mars shot.....

You were lucky with Kontronik. Two years ago I was totally put off them by a guy at the club telling me how he had spent 40 quid and waited 4 months to get a gearbox repaired...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jun 08, 2004, 02:04 PM
Joined Nov 2000
11,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
Castle have a bigger market share than anyone else.
Is that a fact, or a guess? I'd have thought their market share outside the US was relatively small.

You were obviously unlucky with your Jeti, I have six ranging from 5A to 50A and they've all worked perfectly. Ditto for various ESCs from Kontronik, Model Motors, Hacker, JMP, and DigiFleet. Regarding CC I can only go by what I see here on RCGroups ... literally hundreds of posts about problems, even if they are usually fixed quickly and FOC.
Old Jun 08, 2004, 02:53 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
Maybe Pat has ESP and knew you were going to return it.... har... har...
I knew someone would say that... 8^)
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jun 08, 2004, 03:12 PM
Joined Apr 2004
15 Posts
I have 3 Castle 25's, 1 Jeti 30. They all work very good. However with Castle's ajustable features with the PHX link and customer support they will get my money. Just one man's thoughts.
shorted is offline Find More Posts by shorted
Old Jun 08, 2004, 03:20 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Jeti, I have six ranging from 5A to 50A Ditto for various ESCs from Kontronik, Model Motors, Hacker, JMP, and DigiFleet. Regarding CC I can only go by what I see here on RCGroups .
Bill..
Buy a C.C. controller. I promise you will understand the loyalty expressed here. They really are great devices. I have several.. NEVER had a problem.
jimbo
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 08, 2004, 05:57 PM
King's Lynn,Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
423 Posts
I started out with Jeti/Hacker controllers... I had a few go bad on me, replacements went same way.. Been Using CC exclusively for 2 years, the Jetis are now shelf ornaments...

Ironic also that my cheapo Schulze slim escs were upgraded to lipo support for 6 euros each, whereas my Kontronik Rondo ESCS are NOT upgradeable to LIPO support...

Regards,

Steve
Steve_Bennington is offline Find More Posts by Steve_Bennington
Old Jun 08, 2004, 06:46 PM
Joined Nov 2000
11,793 Posts
If you are happy with CC that's great. A quick skim through the 800+ threads in the CC Forum here will show others who aren't though, for example:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239155

It's good that they are fixing problems like this, but not so good that they are being sold that way in the first place (IMO).
Old Jun 09, 2004, 11:53 AM
Schumacher USA
Tampa FL
Joined Jul 2000
3,038 Posts
A few notes for Bill,

I'll lay money that if I took the time, I could dig out an equal # of threads about user questions w/Jeti controllers for all the same reasons those same questions are here about ours: settings questions, programming questions, motor match-up questions, current and voltage limit questions, heli set-up questions, settings explanations, burned up controllers, warranty information, and actual problems with the controllers themselves and/or software. I use Jeti as an example, because they are the only other manufacturer close to the world wide useage and production volume we have.

Are we perfect? No. Are any electronics manufacturers perfect? No.

The difference is, we are actually AVAILABLE not only here, but via e-mail, and telephone, for folks to talk to us firsthand about our products. Naturally folks will take advantage of that, to have their questions answered by the people directly reponsible for the hardware design, software code writing, and the assigning of technical specs of the controllers they choose to use. To imply our controllers are of a lower quality/reliability simply because you see them talked about more than another brand who chooses not to have direct public exchanges with it's customers, and may actually have more controllers in use out in the field than any other brand, is simply innacurate, and possibly a little irresponsible, or maybe just uninformed.

I am not privy to Jeti's production figures, but we're shipping around 20k controllers per month worldwide right now, and are still experiencing the same 20% growth per month (300% per year) as we have had for the last several years. With that in mind - obviously several hundred thousand of our controllers are out there in use this moment. Some simple math suggests that if there were just 1% of them with issues - we'd have to have 50 people here doing customer support, and at least that many doing repairs, and shipping for just the warranty dpt. The fact that it's just ME, and a little overflow help once in a while from Pat and Brenda (soon to be filled by a 2nd support person so I can focus on marketing) will suffice to give you a good idea that failure rate/QC issues are not a problem for us. The fact that things are dicussed publicly, I believe has magnified the issues that we have had dissproportionately to you.

If you have something constructive to add to a forum that is dedicated to helping the users of our products get the most from them, feel free to do so. If you would like to troll, please do so elsewhere.

Shawn
Shawn Palmer is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Palmer
Old Jun 09, 2004, 02:16 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Price, Availibility and service more than make up for the Failure rate I have encountered with CC ESC's.

Do I like the failures, no. But I have never had one fail in the AIR.

Now, if they do that HV ESC they will kill the % of the market that Kont, Hacker and Schulze have. (hint Shawn-Pat )
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk