Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 13, 2002, 01:50 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Dr-1, Sopwith Triplane, Pup for sale!

abennett brought this up on another thread, but I thought this title might get more attention.

Kavan model company makes these planes.
http://www.fusionhobby.com/ex/kavan/body_kavan.html

At least several of us have been wishing we could get a Simprop Dr-1 but they're no longer being produced. Kavan even makes a Sopwith for those who want a triplane but have an aversion to what were enemy aircraft in past wars.

Hobby Lobby already carries two of their planes
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/stosser.htm
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/parten.htm
and a lot of other Kavan products.

These Kavan planes seem smaller than the 300 and 350+ planes that HL usually has in these models. The 2 winged ones are around 9.6 oz and the 3 winged ones are 11.8 oz.

If we can't talk them into carrying more Kavan planes maybe we could get up a special order. Eric Metzler of HL has always been very helpful here on the zone and also has been very willing to discuss things with me by email.

How about a "sign up" for planes and I could see if Eric would be interested. I couldn't guarantee that all who said they want one would actually buy it, but maybe he'll place an order.

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2002, 02:14 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,711 Posts
Charlie,

HL has carried the D-VIII and the Pup in the past...the only one I have never seen them have from that page is the Sopwith Tripe.

Later,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2002, 11:01 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Anyone ever seen the DH-2

Anyone ever seen the Airco DH-2 fly - man that looks tempting!!!
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Jan 13, 2002, 02:08 PM
Belmont, MA, USA
Joined Apr 2001
53 Posts
I'd be interested in going in on a group order! I'd be up for the two triplanes (Fokker and Sopwith) and the DeHavilland.

-Drew
abennett is offline Find More Posts by abennett
Old Jan 13, 2002, 02:29 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Drew,

Great! Finally an order. I'm going with the DH-2 and Sopwith trip too since this will probably be our only chance.

I don't know if this will fly at all, but I'm thinking about waiting 'till around Noon Thurs EST and emailing Eric with the results and request. That should give enough time for people to respond and I want to find out if it's a go ASAP.

I don't know how it'll work. I'm not going to buy them all and resell them. Maybe he'll set up special order numbers for us.

Many thanks for finding that site with the Kavan stuff. I'd rather have their 280 size planes than the larger ones HL usually sells. The lighter they are, the lighter they crash.

RB
Last edited by Red Baron 47; Jan 16, 2002 at 09:29 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2002, 09:26 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Put me down for the Fokker and the Sopwith!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jan 13, 2002, 09:33 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Put me down for a Dr1.

Does it come in red?

BC

(just kidding about the color, I'll take whatever color it comes in)
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Last edited by Basketcase; Jan 14, 2002 at 07:00 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2002, 10:22 PM
Tree Trimmer
Warren TWP NJ
Joined May 2001
381 Posts
RB
Im definetly interested in the DH2 Keep me in touch on this Ill be following this thread.
rays89 is offline Find More Posts by rays89
Old Jan 13, 2002, 11:32 PM
I like cheese...
Bloomington, IN
Joined Sep 2001
846 Posts
Gotta get one!

RB,
That's some really cool stuff! Was thinking of a Pup, but...now I have a better choice!

Put me down for one of those DR-1's. Will there be a color choice? Probably won't know until the order is ready to go. If so, blue, like the pic.

Let me know. I'll keep my eye on the thread, just in case.
Whizwaz is offline Find More Posts by Whizwaz
Old Jan 14, 2002, 12:12 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm glad to see all the orders. As I said I have no idea if HL will do anything for us, but I figure the more we "order" the more interest they will have.

I'm not going to ask them about colors. I want to make the deal as easy on HL as possible. Also, as I and probably others have found, sometimes you don't get what the catalog shows. The way I figure, what we get is what we get and I'll be happy.

You guys have gotten me interested in the DH-2. Boy is that funky. I sure hope this works.

If any of you want to modify your order before I email them please edit it rather than post another message. That'll help keep me from screwing it up... I hope. I'll post a "final list" Wed afternoon and if anyone sees a mistake, let me know. I'll email Eric on Thursday 12:01 PM EST.

RB
Old Jan 14, 2002, 05:01 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2001
145 Posts
Hi Guys,
I will take a DR 1 or two and an Albatross ..

Regards
Erica.
CybaGirl is offline Find More Posts by CybaGirl
Old Jan 14, 2002, 08:43 AM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,700 Posts
If these are ARF's, not full kits, I'll take a DH2.

Oohh! The close-up page posted on this thread shows they are ARFs and gives the general dimensions. Yum!
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Last edited by Robert Stinson; Jan 14, 2002 at 09:12 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2002, 09:00 AM
Belmont, MA, USA
Joined Apr 2001
53 Posts
Looking at them some more, I think I'd like that 'Albatros' too. I'm also curious about the trimotor - do all 3 really work, or are the outriggers just idlers?

Also, here are some closer views:

http://www.fusionhobby.com/ex/kavan/...kavan-kit.html

And if you read Swedish, here is more information (and some nice views for us who don't):

http://www.natans-hobby.se/kavan.htm

And a possible Canadian source?

http://www.rc-fun.com/news.htm

Looks to be from Manitoba, but it says 'coming soon'.

-Drew
abennett is offline Find More Posts by abennett
Last edited by abennett; Jan 14, 2002 at 09:12 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2002, 10:40 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Hi all,
Looking at the Swedish site that Drew posted, it looks like the triplanes and Albatross won't ship 'till April and the DH-2 in June. Maybe HL is planning on carrying them when they are available. Nonetheless, I'll send Eric the results of our wish list and it may prompt them to get them.

Drew, on the trimotor, I believe it comes with the motors. Here are my rough translations from adding the below stuff together and learning that med=with, växellådor=gearbox and fartreglage=ESC. Also the weight adds up.

Trimotor:
Till modellen finns en sats med 3 motorer/växellådor/propellrar. För att komplettera behövs 1 mikromottagare, 2 mikroservon, 1 fartreglage och 1 flygaccumulator 7 x 350.
The model comes with 3 motors/gearbox/propellers. To complete, requires 1 microRX, 2 microservos, 1 ESC and battery.

DH-2:
Som alla andra modeller ingår motor/växellåda och propeller i satsen. För att komplettera satsen behövs. ! mikromottagare, 2 mikroservon, 1 fartreglage och 1 flygaccumulator 7x350.
Motor/gearbox/prop included. To complete, requires as above. We've seen the pix on the Kavan site that it comes with a motor.

Partenavia:
Modellen är avsedd att flygas med 2st 400 eller 480 motorer. För att färdigställa modellen behövs 2 st. elmotorer, ett 35 A fartreglage, en 7 x 1500 ackumulator, en lätt mottagare och 2 miniservon.
Model flies with 2 400s or 480s. To complete, requires 2 motors, then as above.

RB
Old Jan 14, 2002, 04:52 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2001
145 Posts
Hi Guys,
Lets hope that something will come of all of this . I truly hope that we will be able to secure some of these models. I still for the life of me do not understand distributors and manufactures at times. Everybody with some sense and taste loves a warbird and the ones which we have mentioned are true classics! Beats me why hobby shops would not have great sales with them. I am only sorry that I did not catch on to the Simprop DR 1 sooner along with the Spad as well. I would have brought more! As I would have loved to aquired a Spad as well. Perhaps even and just maybe GWS might make a Fokker DR 1 .......... I know I have emailed Grace at GWS sending her pictures of the Me 262 and asking her if they had plans on doing this warbird using there new ducted fan units.. As I think this would be a perfect model for them . She wrote back to me though and passed the info onto the R&D team. So who knows! Now how many of you would like to see one of these I ask?

Regards
Erica.
CybaGirl is offline Find More Posts by CybaGirl