SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 07, 2004, 05:25 PM
Swedes don't grow on trees
Sverige, Stockholms Län, Stockholm
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
WARNING: Ripmax Evolution Sport

Just received my Evolution Sport. According to www.ripmax.com it has a foam-veneer wing. But no! The wing is a fully sheeted built up balsa wing and the wing joining system is a joke - a 3" x 1/3" wooden dowel! So much for good looks. Oh well, sending back to shop as I write, have ordered a Sprinter instead. Pity though, becaus the fuse of the Evo Sport looks really nice.

/ Jonas
Jonas Leander is offline Find More Posts by Jonas Leander
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2004, 09:18 PM
Singapore
Joined Jul 2003
643 Posts
Maybe they sent you an Evo Start by mistake?
Vic Peh is offline Find More Posts by Vic Peh
Old Jun 07, 2004, 09:46 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
As Dieter likes to say. . "shiney on the outside"....... I have discovered that in most cases, you get what you pay for however I don't know how much this particular sailplane set you back
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jun 08, 2004, 03:55 AM
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
Hi!

@ Vic
No, it is the Sport. Ailerons and fully sheeted wing. The Start is R/E and has an open-bay wing. That should be a very nice compact thermal plane for the price (ARF, glass fuse, $100)

@ Tic
Right you are! However: The Sprinter is only $5 more than the Evo Sport over here in Europe - thus I assumed that the Ripmax web site info was correct. From what I have read here the Sprinter is well worth the money at 130 Euro ($150). Since the Evo looked better I thought that... how wrong I was!

Oh well - we live and learn and the nice people at Höllein took it back without questions. Sent an e-mail to Ripmax - it will be interseting to hear their explantaion - if I get one.

/ Jonas
Old Jun 08, 2004, 04:20 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2003
486 Posts
The wing joiner sounds like a real problem but would the built up structure necessarily be weak if it's fully sheeted?

I know there was a review in QEFI a while back of this version that seemed to involve some proper testing, not sure if the joiner was standard in that review though. Anyway it's certainly no excuse for an innacurate description from the manufacturer.
mattg is offline Find More Posts by mattg
Old Jun 08, 2004, 04:51 AM
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg
The wing joiner sounds like a real problem but would the built up structure necessarily be weak if it's fully sheeted?
True, but part of the problem is that the joiner seems to be seated in soft balsa in the wing roots. Had there been a 4" tube of some kind burried in each wing root it would have been a different story. Even if the joiner is properly glued in I still wouldn't trust it for anything else than thermal flying. It kind of defies the point of ARF if you have to tear off the nice covering to glass the wing and cut away some of the sheeting to reinforce the joint.

/ Jonas
Old Jun 08, 2004, 05:17 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2003
486 Posts
Sounds like a really poor system, I'm going to check the review I mentioned because I'm sure it would have been noted there, maybe later versions like yours are different. Glad you were able to swap it.
mattg is offline Find More Posts by mattg
Old Jun 09, 2004, 08:33 AM
I seem to be in toyland
Joined Apr 2004
113 Posts
I got stung as well. Best part is that the model shop closed down 1 week later! At least I got it cheap (£70). I'm still unimpressed but I'll have to build it now. Has anyone any suggestions as to how to strengthen the wing joint? I intend to build it light and low powered. I'm going to use the following:

3S4P ETEC 1200 pack
Jeti 30/3 motor
Graupner 12x6 folder

I'm hoping this will be a good compromise of enough power to get going but not to much to break the wing.

In my opinion this was planned by RIPMAX. They did a loss leader with the excellent EVO Competition and then made a cheap copy of their own sucessful glider. It is still advertised on the RIPMAX site as having a foam sheeted wing!

Next time it's a Bandit for sure

John
noddy is offline Find More Posts by noddy
Old Jun 09, 2004, 09:34 AM
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy
Has anyone any suggestions as to how to strengthen the wing joint?
This what I would have done if I had kept the model:

* Tear off the 10" of covering from the roots toward the tips - top and bottom
* Glue wing halves together using the supplied dowels and lots of epoxy - make sure you get glue on the root ribs as well.
* Glass the middle of the wing using a few increasingly larger diamonds of say 80g/sqm glass, top and bottom. Largest diamond shoud extend to at least 8" from the root.
* Put on new covering
* Done!

/ Jonas
Old Jun 09, 2004, 01:07 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,075 Posts
Do people really think the wing is that weak? The centre rib appears to be a solid piece of balsa for about 50mm. The spar seems to be made of a hard material and the fully sheeted wing probably won't break. I agree that is it mis-advertised but the Q&EFI review does state that they are built up and Mike Freeman (reviewer) says he replaced the wooded dowel with a carbon joiner in ali tube to allow the wing to be transported in two pieces. I'm sure it would be stronger if he used the dowel and glued the halves together. He powered it with a B40-14S 4.4:1 and 13x9 prop and didn't brak the wing during his review period. Regarding price, if it was £160 as advertised on the Ripmax site it would be a complete rip-off. But £90 from SMC is a very good price for an ARF of this standard, so much so that my father has one to build. He also has a Bandit, so I will be able to report how they compare later in the year.

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Jun 09, 2004, 02:40 PM
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
Got a reply from Ripmax today. Wing is foam-veneer with lightening holes (even Stefan att www.hoellein.com thought it was a balsa wing) but there are simply to many unclear things to make me feel comfortable. Eagerly awaiting my Sprinter at the $5 more.

/ Jonas
Old Jun 10, 2004, 04:15 AM
I seem to be in toyland
Joined Apr 2004
113 Posts
So things are looking up! I was lead to believe it was a built up wing too. I will build it as the RIPMAX instructions say and then see what happens. I should appologies to RIPMAX as I had been told by many people it was a balsa wing but had not taken to covering off to find out for myself

I would really like to read the Q&EFI review.

Mike : Could you tell me what edition of Q&EFI it is in and I will see if I can get a back issue. Did the reviewer like the way it flew?

John
noddy is offline Find More Posts by noddy
Last edited by noddy; Jun 10, 2004 at 04:21 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 03:01 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,075 Posts
Review in Q&EFI June 2003.

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Jun 10, 2004, 04:42 PM
Enjoying the good life!
Ashburn, Virginia
Joined Feb 2002
1,941 Posts
Wow, that stinks.
Aobid is offline Find More Posts by Aobid
Old Dec 18, 2008, 04:04 AM
GREATBRITAIN
Joined Mar 2008
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Seale
Do people really think the wing is that weak? The centre rib appears to be a solid piece of balsa for about 50mm. The spar seems to be made of a hard material and the fully sheeted wing probably won't break. I agree that is it mis-advertised but the Q&EFI review does state that they are built up and Mike Freeman (reviewer) says he replaced the wooded dowel with a carbon joiner in ali tube to allow the wing to be transported in two pieces. I'm sure it would be stronger if he used the dowel and glued the halves together. He powered it with a B40-14S 4.4:1 and 13x9 prop and didn't brak the wing during his review period. Regarding price, if it was £160 as advertised on the Ripmax site it would be a complete rip-off. But £90 from SMC is a very good price for an ARF of this standard, so much so that my father has one to build. He also has a Bandit, so I will be able to report how they compare later in the year.

Mike
Yes the wing is that weak,mines in the dustbin after the wing decided to fold in a shallow dive!! It folded 30mm out from the wing root.
If id had seen how crap the the spar was i would never have bought it!
paulhealeyX is offline Find More Posts by paulhealeyX