HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2002, 07:25 PM
Joined Oct 2000
147 Posts
Hi All,

Not sure how much this helps, but I have been flying a little heli, on GWS equipment and with a weight of 96 grams without batteries for about 2 months now. Motor a stock "D" 9.66:1 ratio and is drawing 2.6 Amps. Flight time is about 3.5 to 4.5 minutes depending on how good a charge I get on the 300NM batteries from Dave at RadicalRC . This is not a Housefly but I would assume Mario's Housefly should draw about the same in amp's or better because of better rotor blades and a little less weight. Tail rotor is only drawing 1/3 Amp, so most of power is going to Main Rotor. I am in the process of trying to setup a higher gear ratio to see if I can lower amp's and extend flight time without degrading performance, right now it is flying pretty well.

Well like I said hope this helps, if not sorry ...

Mike Simon

PS: Not sure what your guys are talking about Amp's at hover, how do you check amp draw on a flying Heli??.
mjsimon is offline Find More Posts by mjsimon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2002, 08:35 PM
NJ
Joined Jan 2002
52 Posts
Ok, say the House fly will draw in the neighborhood of about 2.5 amps to hover, which would be your minimum draw during flight. And lets assume that the tail rotor will draw about 1/3 amp. This leaves more than two amps continuous draw for the recommended (GWS IC-50) 2a ESC. Is this ESC under-rated so it can handle more than the two amps?? I know that it can handle peaks of up to 5A, but we are talking about a substantially higher continuous load. Anyone have any experiance with the durability of these ESC's??
My next thought would be regarding efficiency..... I'm not sure of the frequency that the GWS ESC runs (maybe 3k Hz??) but wouldn't it make more sense to use a high frequency ESC like the JMP 133K Hz unit?? I've heard that the higher frequency can give you up to 10% more battery life (not sure this is true for all motors). I don't have my fly yet so I cannot do any testing. Any experts out there with some know how??
MrSpinner is offline Find More Posts by MrSpinner
Old Jan 15, 2002, 08:45 PM
I'd rather be flying!
SOCAL
Joined May 2001
274 Posts
there are two escs on the house fly but i think that a five amp esc is used for the main
Antyoo is offline Find More Posts by Antyoo
Old Jan 15, 2002, 09:22 PM
Crashez-vous sans stress!
Chicago
Joined Nov 2001
374 Posts
Quote:

PS: Not sure what your guys are talking about Amp's at hover, how do you check amp draw on a flying Heli??.
Hook up a Whattmeter with long sections of light-gauge wire and leave it on the floor while you hover above it?
Dan H. is offline Find More Posts by Dan H.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 09:25 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
I cant' fly a helicopter (yet) so don't know how long the battery will last.

But my housefly has the following equipment:

1 GWS Carbon brush main motor
1 N20 motor for tail rotor
2 GWS IC-50 esc's
2 GWS Pico servos
1 GWS R4P receiver
1 Cirrus MPG-10 Gyro (same as GWS) without case
8 cell 300mah NiMH

Weight without battery is 89 grams or 3.2 ounces.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jan 15, 2002, 10:43 PM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,112 Posts
I think it is a pretty good conclusion that Mario doesn’t want to address the issue of short flight times. Maybe he is hoping that one of us will figure out how to make the flight times reasonable so the HF is worthwhile.

Look at the posting times. Mario posted on the “house fly performance tips” topic on 1-16-2002 at 2:47 AM. It would be fair to assume that he has been reading this topic and all the discussion on flight times, but refuses to answer the “duration” question.

My guess on a 150 mah battery is 2.5 minutes.

Anyone else care to wager a guess?

With over 100 kits shipped Dec 15th and no one has theirs flying well enough to give a review.

Does it take that long to build and setup?

HELLO……….inquiring minds want to know.
cyhyam is offline Find More Posts by cyhyam
Old Jan 15, 2002, 11:55 PM
I'd rather be flying!
SOCAL
Joined May 2001
274 Posts
the MIA website says it will be ready to fly after about 1 hr assembly

(granted that is if you have all the parts and electronics and instructions)

i got my piccolo buit (and ready to fly) in the back seat of my dad's honda on my way from the post office to my grandpa's house(40 min drive)

so it can't be that hard to get one flying.

don't forget walt, even though they were "shipped" on 12/15 no one got them till a few days ago(pretty long for 2-3 day priority shipping) same thing happend with the robin 280's(till he got most of the kinks out(with customer feedback) that came with premature release(tried to beat the piccolo)
Antyoo is offline Find More Posts by Antyoo
Last edited by Antyoo; Jan 16, 2002 at 12:02 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2002, 12:55 AM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
Mario, the Fly is my first heli and really like the design features...On the issue of duration times, is the main rotor blades,and gearing ratios fully optimized for best thrust per amps...for the given gearing, is there a "best pitch angle"also on weight control,, is the "as received" cardboard boom material optimum or yes, what about using the slightly lighter natural color boom "markered black and "butting" the middle section wall thickness (like on bike frame tubing-thinner in the middle) also any " lighter weight ( core-less pager-motors with optimized better thrust tail rotor size / pitch blades and rearing...just some newbie thoughts in addition to the mentioned battery packs and wiring lightning ideas........kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Jan 16, 2002, 07:09 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2002
1,030 Posts
House Fly

Hi all,
antyoo, didnt Alexander Rostyne start the micro/sub heli craze with his Pixel's ?
thats what sparked my interest in it anyhow. just a thought.
and as for people jumping on band wagons, this aint no bad thing if they can actually produce a successful product which doesnt seem to be the case as yet with the house fly, lokks cute though.
through out these pages I have yet to hear anything on Keyences little micro heli at a foot across looks tiny, it also doesnt seem to have a swashplate, how does that work ?
If you can make a heli without a swashplate wouldnt this improve weight and effiecency ?
-http://www.keyence.co.jp/hobby/
they also do some interesting 4 rotor choppas too, they look cool too. Anybody out there flown either of these ?
Paul.
Choppa Nutta is offline Find More Posts by Choppa Nutta
Old Jan 16, 2002, 09:59 AM
ruf
Houston, TX, USA
Joined Dec 2000
59 Posts
Are those the stock blades? Why are they transparent?

Quote:
Originally posted by Basketcase
I cant' fly a helicopter (yet) so don't know how long the battery will last.

But my housefly has the following equipment:

1 GWS Carbon brush main motor
1 N20 motor for tail rotor
2 GWS IC-50 esc's
2 GWS Pico servos
1 GWS R4P receiver
1 Cirrus MPG-10 Gyro (same as GWS) without case
8 cell 300mah NiMH

Weight without battery is 89 grams or 3.2 ounces.

BC
ruf is offline Find More Posts by ruf
Old Jan 16, 2002, 10:25 AM
jk
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,281 Posts
i was noticing that the flybar is also semi transparent.
jk is offline Find More Posts by jk
Old Jan 16, 2002, 10:36 AM
ruf
Houston, TX, USA
Joined Dec 2000
59 Posts
And the tail rotor.
Old Jan 16, 2002, 11:39 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
It's sitting still but the blades are spinning.
That's just the way the flash caught it. Pure luck.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jan 16, 2002, 12:57 PM
jk
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,281 Posts
it looks cool like that. (ghost blades)
jk is offline Find More Posts by jk
Old Jan 16, 2002, 02:05 PM
ruf
Houston, TX, USA
Joined Dec 2000
59 Posts
That is one messed up X-ray camera you've got! Hang out at the beach much?

That'd be cool if the blades were transparent like that. I still don't understand how that picture turned out like that. I figured that there would be either a blur or a solid motion freeze.