SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2002, 10:39 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Well, my housefly is "flying". I haven't done much but hop so far becuase it's dark outside and I don't want to hit the furniture while triming it out. I can already see that this is much easier to setup than the Robin 280 was. Straight from the factory, no balancing, it is very smooth. It as smooth or smoother than my Hornet. This is a big improvement over the balancing needed on the Robin 280. I can also say that Mario is right about the mixing thing. There is so little torque, and the tail is so much more powerful than it needs to be that you don't have to mix the tail at all, just have quick thumbs. The housefly feels very light in the air, it's hard to describe but is a very pleasant experiance. I can't wait till tommorow to get some more stick time.
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Last edited by Jim McPherson; Jan 14, 2002 at 10:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2002, 12:12 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cyhyam
Forget the "contest", I would like to see one fly publicly.
Even Bill who has had a DIY one hasnít shown up at any events with it, seems curious..

Walt
Walt,

I am sorry I havent been there to show you a fly flying personaly, But I have been very busy with a ton of stuff. Child custody battles and other projects. I just now stumbled onto this thread. anyhow, These fly's fly, and as you will see there will be alot of happy people out there. I guess the next thing is to CP one.

To Everyone Else,

I am glad to see these little helis finaly flying and I wont be the only little fly this side of Arizona. Its been lonely being here all alone, No little fly's to buzz around with. But now it looks like I will have some new flys to swarm with!

Dont forget to post some pictures of your fly's over at the Micro Rotors Forum

Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MicroRotors; Jan 15, 2002 at 12:15 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 03:44 AM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
I will post one CP version of the House FLY next. Extensive RC component weight reduction is required to keep it light.

Mario
Mario is offline Find More Posts by Mario
Old Jan 15, 2002, 03:50 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mario
I will post one CP version of the House FLY next. Extensive RC component weight reduction is required to keep it light.

Mario
Well Were is it?

Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
Old Jan 15, 2002, 04:34 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
I'm not really into choppers, but ultra-micro stuff fascinates me... what motor/battery/amp draw and duration are you guys getting? how many cells? I'm wondering if it might be beneficial with high loads to use a dc booster with two high-current cells, rather than 7 smaller cells...

if you're burning through 370 nimh's that quick you are definitely overtaxing those batteries!
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Jan 15, 2002, 05:21 AM
jk
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,281 Posts
it's pretty well taken for granted that us micro heli guys push these small batteries WAY past what they were intended to be used.
jk is offline Find More Posts by jk
Old Jan 15, 2002, 05:34 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
so do a lot of parkflier guys... AAA nimh's pulling 9 amps??

the point is, if your blowing through cells in under 2 minutes you're not really giving the motor the power it wants, the voltage is dropping way down. there's gotta be a better way.

but seriously, to get this chopper in the air, what voltage and how many amps are required given the standard AUW?
Old Jan 15, 2002, 10:11 AM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,112 Posts
Bill,
Since you have one flying, maybe you could tell us what your flight times are, and the batteries you are using.
Mario won't give up that information.

Walt
cyhyam is offline Find More Posts by cyhyam
Old Jan 15, 2002, 12:25 PM
jk
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,281 Posts
opualuan,
i get a minimum of 7 1/2 minutes on the 370mah cells on my micro helis. i think 2mins is way too short of a flight time and there must be something wrong with the heli to get that kind of flight time.
jk is offline Find More Posts by jk
Old Jan 15, 2002, 04:20 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
well, if 370's are too heavy to suit the plane, it would make sense that they would burn up to quick, if you're overtaxing the batteries and motor and the gearing is set up for a lighter AUW, using the wrong size battery can kill you.

I remember seeing threads from mario announcing the helicoper, and he DID refuse to give out duration specs. that says to me that duration if build as recommended is BAD. but, if the rest of the helicopter is well thought out and put together, playing with the power system could yield some huge improvements... think of how bad some other planes/helicopters fly stock!

I used a 270 nicad speed 280 on a plane I built, didn't fly. motor only ran for about a minute. swapped in a johnson 250, 720nimhAAA and it's a demon.

anyone got amp draw or info on what motor is in there??
Old Jan 15, 2002, 05:02 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
ooohhh, interesting: a CP housefly....i like it!
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
Old Jan 15, 2002, 05:38 PM
I'd rather be flying!
SOCAL
Joined May 2001
274 Posts
it is the same kind of motor that comes with a gws pic stick(aka wattage lite stick)

i think it is a 150 size(a company calls it that with a rebranded version)

yeah 2 min, come on.

why pay that much money for such little performance(should say duration, performance comes after you can get it to stay in the air for a while)? get a piccolo or hornet and shrink them down as per JohnK's instructions. he is after all the one who started the sub micro craze and Mario tried to capitalize from it.

and the cp thing is due to the spectacular performance of Walt's f/bless mod.

Mario earlier said the cp for the house fly will be flybarless. and before that he said flybarless was a waste of time.

just like a with those razor scooters and how every store started to sell nock offs. MIA leaps on whatever is popular but not before critisizing it.

i am not saying his producs are bad(many are great) but he needs to give credit where it belongs(Walt, JohnK, and others)

this 2 min flight time is probably why Mario never gave out the flight times.

and maybe the reason the shipping took from mid december to a few days ago was so that he could sell as many as possible before word got out on the poor pperformance? never no for sure.

he said wait till the kits come out which they have and from the people who have their's flyin it doesn't look so good.

how long does your fly fly for Mario?

What ever happen to the cp upgrade? did the craze die down before you hopped on the band wagon?

and how much longer till you start to pay ezone for all the advertising you do here?
Antyoo is offline Find More Posts by Antyoo
Old Jan 15, 2002, 05:50 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Jan 2001
867 Posts
Just a thought

JohnK (or anyone), can you take a quick amp reading at hover power? The measured amps of a correct setup will tell all and help everyone know if they have their fly setup right. Would be interesting if possible to know values for main and tail serperate. Problem is I know many are removing the connectors so amp readings are harder to take (ie, wattmeter).

Mario, how many amps does your fly (main and tail) draw when setup correctly at hover power? It occurs to me that target values would be very helpful as folks setup their helis.

Cheers
John
johntbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johntbyrne
Old Jan 15, 2002, 06:03 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Antyoo, relax pal. You might be jumping the gun with that reply. Let's wait for more results. Also, Mario may be hopping on the bandwagon created by Johnk, Walt, etc., but by doing this he is mass producing these ideas so that non-minihelijunkies can actually try out a mini heli rather than read about it with no hope of ever flying one.
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Jan 15, 2002, 06:26 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
this copter ISN'T collective pitch? what's the gear ratio and blade size (total diameter) and pitch is this motor running on? is it the greay endbell gws?