HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2002, 11:24 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Jan 2001
867 Posts
First Housefly to Fly Contest

Who will it be? hmmm, perhaps a contest. Winner gets bragging rights. So who will it be? Let us know!

Cheers
John
johntbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johntbyrne
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2002, 10:03 AM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,099 Posts
Forget the "contest", I would like to see one fly publicly.
Even Bill who has had a DIY one hasnít shown up at any events with it, seems curious.
I have been told that Steve Campbell will try to have one flying at the meet this afternoon, I hope he makes it.

Walt
cyhyam is offline Find More Posts by cyhyam
Old Jan 13, 2002, 02:46 PM
FPV really is fun.
Sedona, Az
Joined Sep 2001
885 Posts
I flew mine all last night. The duration is terrible, but it is real stable and will fly around the apartment.
Walt, you will see it this afternoon.
Scott
Scotth72 is online now Find More Posts by Scotth72
Old Jan 13, 2002, 04:20 PM
I'd rather be flying!
SOCAL
Joined May 2001
274 Posts
what components are you using?

what is the average flight time like?
Antyoo is offline Find More Posts by Antyoo
Old Jan 13, 2002, 06:04 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Scott, if you make it to the fly in, Tony La from EFLIGHT PACKS is there, talk to him about what current cells he has.

Tony sent me a pack to try this was a 2/3AAA green cells
from Sanyo F8-GP37AAAM9.6V 370mah came out to 2.25 oz. to heavy. He may have some newer lighter cells in the same capacity or slightly less.

See if John K. is also there, I believe John found some new NMH cells somewhere that he tried on his Gnats, I am not sure what these cells capacity or weight is but if they are in the range of 1.8oz or better with higher than 150mah capacity they should give you extended flights.

If anyone else finds a better battery for your house let me know or keep everyone posted. Battery technology is so fastchanging that it 's hard for one person alone to keep track of it.

The suggested starter battery for the house fly is just that a starter pack to get you in the air inexpensively and quickly.

Have Fun at the FLY IN.

One of these days I'll make it and I can finally meet some of you.

Mario
Mario is offline Find More Posts by Mario
Last edited by Mario; Jan 13, 2002 at 06:08 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2002, 06:19 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Jan 2001
867 Posts
Looks like Scott has bragging rights unless someone else comes up with a flight before that.

Give us more info Scott. How long? What area is it flying in? You using Mixing on the tail? No one has explained this yet unless I missed it. Mario stated that it is something new and doesn't need tail mixing. how is this done.

Cheers and congrats Scott
John
Old Jan 13, 2002, 09:21 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Almost, I've got mine together (except for the canopy) but it does not want to stay straight when it starts to get light. Tipped over twice so far and popped the main shaft support loose. That's fixed okay.

After reading the new posts here and at MicroRotors and yahoo I discovered that due to the ambiguous instructions (until today) and reversed picture on the box that I have the tail rotor on backwards and the blade backwards on the blade holder.

Guess I shouldn't have been so impatient.

Back to the work bench.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jan 13, 2002, 10:47 PM
Joined Jan 2002
5 Posts
what's the prize? our h/f is finally done and flying.
yooo-hooo!

S/J
suenjoe is offline Find More Posts by suenjoe
Old Jan 14, 2002, 06:45 AM
jk
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,281 Posts
I just got a Housefly from Steve Campbell (dreamhobbies.com). i hope to have it assembled later this week.i intend to build it as light as i can.

Mario,
what's a good target weight to shoot for w/o the battery pack?

i'll post my flight times with some 8 cell 56 gram 370mah nimh packs that i have.

I saw Scott fly his and Steve's was also finished.
here's a few of pics of them next to my CP Gnat:

jk is offline Find More Posts by jk
Old Jan 14, 2002, 09:51 AM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
John,

House FLY Weight: Approximately 3.25 Ounces. That is with suggested components as they come including motor heat sink but without battery.

GWS 7 Cell Nicad Starter Pack weighs 1.8 ounces with connector and short lead.

Total flying weight is about 5 ounces. Shoot for under this weight.

Shortening all excessive wiring leads, removing gyro's and RX cases
and trimming the skids, are some of the things that can be done to lighten it up a bit.

Mario
Old Jan 14, 2002, 11:35 AM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Jan 2001
867 Posts
Still not clear on tail rotor mixing. Does the housefly use tail rotor mixing? Mario stated before that mixing isn't required and as such a cheap 4 ch radio could be used. Are you guys flying now using mixing?

Cheers
John

BTW, prize is bragging right and a small heli in the air (grin). Scott still seems to be the winner (give us some bragging Scott).
Old Jan 14, 2002, 11:53 AM
FPV really is fun.
Sedona, Az
Joined Sep 2001
885 Posts
I had to use alot of tail mixing. I need to put the Fly on a serious diet, as I need too much pitch to get it in the air, and the torque is overpowering the tail. I threw some hs55's in it to get it working, but I will look for some super light servo's to put to get the weight down. I think I got about 1 1/2 minutes out of it with a 370 nmh pack. I don't have a scale, so I don't know how much it weighs.
Scott
Scotth72 is online now Find More Posts by Scotth72
Old Jan 14, 2002, 12:13 PM
Long Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2002
87 Posts
I also, setup my housefly a little too heavy (naro servos and 8-cell 370mah nimh pack), and in a rush, so I did not shorten alot of the heavy wiring. I was able to slightly hover it in ground effect. I will replace the servos with hs50's, replace the pack with one that is 1.8oz or lighter (150mah 7-cell nicad gws pack as suggested by Mario) and shorten all the wires. I will post a video at my site as soon as I get it up in the air.

Regards - Steve
scmodchips1 is offline Find More Posts by scmodchips1
Old Jan 14, 2002, 12:41 PM
jk
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,281 Posts
Thanks for the info Mario.

so, if i convert that to grams, i'm going to shoot for a flying weight of 92 grams without battery and 143 grams with it.

it doesn't appear that this will be hard to do as the kit looks light enough in and of itself.
jk is offline Find More Posts by jk
Old Jan 14, 2002, 06:35 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Scott,

I noticed on one of the photos, you have placed a large piece of tape on one of the blades. Obviously for balancing.

I recall replacing one of the blades in the kits that had a slight scratch mark, with one from a another batch. I shouldn't have done that. I should have just replaced it with another matched pair. By the photo, I am 100% certain you got that one.

We make the blades in batches of 100 and keep them in pairs after matching them to keep them under quality control. I deviated our own qualitiy control at the last minute, to change that blade that had the slight mark. This is how meticulous I get but sometimes this same meticulous effort introduces small glitches.

I will send you a new set NC. There is no need for the tape.

Troubleshooting:

The HF is extremly lightweight and rotor torque forces are very low which helps us to get away without the use of mixing. It is not hard to control it without mixing if you follow the Pre-Flight Setup instructions at the link below especially if you're using a simple Hitec Focus 4 trasnmitter. These instructions are also part of the manual that is going out with every HF kit.

However, if you do have mixing on your transmitter use a basic Master-Slave Mix setting.

The HF rotor head has two small O-rings that are sandwiched between the head and the blade grips, on the trailing side of the blades. These are your blade angle of attack 'fine pitch' adjustment. Compressing it via the fine pitch screw though the o-ring minimizes blade pitch angles. This does 2 things, it minimizes rotor torque and increases head speed, making it easier to control the tail. These are also used to adjust blade tracking.

If you find that you are having to fight the tail rotor, check to see that the main rotor o-rings are fully compressed and blades are tracking. Remember that on a heli we always work the tail and the gyro also play a part in tail control. Check the gyro setting as per the insructions. If set correctly it does most of the work helping keep the tail in position which also aids in tail control.

One of the inherent features of the HF due to its size and light weight is the model's stability. Once airborne you shouldn't have to
work the control that hard to keep in a hover or flying around.

See my other post on Tips for higher performace.

Mario

Pre-flight Set-up Instructions link
http://www.micro-flight.com/houseflykit
Last edited by Mario; Jan 14, 2002 at 06:53 PM.