HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2002, 09:53 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Smooth Finish on Foam?

WHat is the best way to get a chrome finish on a Foam Fuselage?

Thanks
Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2002, 09:10 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,534 Posts
"Chrome Foam"

Sounds like a real challenge. Never done it but found some chrome "duct tape" at a liquidator store. Thought about making panels out of it, just like the real ones. The tape had several flaws in it so didn't pursue. Top flite makes a chrome trim sheet that might work if the adhesive will hold up.
For sanding foam, try drywall sanding screen. Works good.
Rot-so-ruck..
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Jan 13, 2002, 10:12 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Kirby,try this link(www.scaleaero.com) look for a link to finishing material.i bought some aluminum finish but its a pain in the a## to put on.Also wrinkles easy.maybe it will work for you. stefanP

Ghost rider requesting a fly by.......
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Jan 13, 2002, 11:09 AM
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
What about first putting on a light coat of FG/PolyUrthane varnish like the suggest for finishing the foam fuzes on those 'park fighters'?

http://webhome.idirect.com/~manuel/html/cover.htm

Dave
Dave Seay is offline Find More Posts by Dave Seay
Old Jan 15, 2002, 08:25 PM
ireland
Joined Apr 2001
250 Posts
chrome is difficult to see

Once saw a guy with fast 40 glow plane mustang looking type cool on the ground but against a grey sky very diffucult too see crashed and wiped out on first flight suspect he lost orientation Insisted it was interference

Not my problem

Having seen a few foamies covered in paper pva method not impresssed even when one was over covered again in Ora cover white unless you do a lot of sanding the bumps seem to jump out

For me when I have cracked my epoxy fibre glass ship (losses it gloss with my flying style low and fast touch and goes no undercarrage wears out the belly quickly) I use solor film over sanded down zone and it looks ok

Suggest fibre glass with water paint will make better surface and then recover in chrome oracover or other branded chrome shrink film

Fly low and fast and scrath the belly

David in Ireland
thin wing is offline Find More Posts by thin wing
Old Jan 15, 2002, 10:30 PM
Unregistered Foamsmith
Canada
Joined Nov 2001
421 Posts
Aluminium finish maybe?

I have painted and covered alot of foam in all sorts of colours imaginable.

I find that chrome coloured Solar Film works well if you dont overheat the iron. But Solar film is very thin and doesnt cover well, but that's why it also doesn't require much heat. Proper prepping of the aircraft with a base colour before will give you a nice finish.

Most other chrome iron on coverings like Monokote require too much heat and deform the foam underneath long before they adhere to the foam itself.

I find acrylic paint over polyurethane the most reliable and best way maintain foam aircraft. But chrome is hard to do.

There is a section on "How to cover your fighter" on my website. Please feel free to try these techniques on your own creations and let me know how it works out.

Good luck Kepople.

http://webhome.idirect.com/~manuel

Here's what aluminium looks like.
Ken Manuel is offline Find More Posts by Ken Manuel
Old Jan 16, 2002, 12:59 AM
iankraus.com/rcvideo
Joined Jun 2001
450 Posts
I really like the polyurethane over light glass or kite fabric method. For some applications 2.2 mil uline tape is hard to beat. very strong. hardly weighs more than film repairs can be invisable (and are super fast). The tape also covers the bead of foam without the weight of fillers. The model can be recovered at the end of the season! very economical, no fumes no cleanup
even works with glow planes. I like kite fabric too.
This model below is covered in tape. The canopy is 99cent store gift wrap mylar and 77 spray. I roughen the mylar with 220 wet and dry lightly first.

I am working on some inkjet decals for this plane. I hope it is still looking pretty for the WRAM show here in NY.
iankraus is offline Find More Posts by iankraus
Last edited by iankraus; Jan 16, 2002 at 01:09 AM.