HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2002, 09:51 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Getting smooth finish on Foam?

How do you do it? I want to get a chrome finish on a regular foam plane.

Thanks
Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2002, 09:58 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
In modifying the Twin Star to a Bristol Bombay Bomber, I had a lot of sanding to do after the hack and whack. I sanded with 80 grit and 150. I covered the fuse with polycrylic (satin) varnish and sanded with 220 and 400. It seems to be smooth enough for paint now. A couple of coats with a light sanding in between should do the trick. I did this same method on the Cargo when I modified it to a B-17. With that plane I used Testor's Model Master paint and it really came out well.
Oh, and I used Red Devil filler for all the dings. It is a very light filler that dries rapidly (Home Depot, etc,)
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Jan 12, 2002, 10:05 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
http://www.ezonemag.com/faq/cache/91.html
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old Jan 13, 2002, 02:33 AM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,957 Posts
About the finest finish I've seen on foam is Scott Black's technique. Note that this is normally used over blue or pink extruded foam, as opposed to white beaded expanded foam.

Scott covers his models with brown paper and diluted white glue (Pica Gluit). Because the brown paper has a limited ability to conform to compound curves, he uses relatively small pieces. This technique reached its zenith on his Sabre, on which he cut the pieces of paper to match the panel lines on the full-sized aircraft.

The covered aircraft can then be primed, sanded and painted in the normal way. The end result is beautiful.

Personally, I mostly like working with balsa. But Scott's results with humble foam, paper and glue are inspiring.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan