HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2004, 01:06 PM
T-A-F-K-A crash_out
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Jan 2003
559 Posts
GWS Tiger Moth 400 flies!

I finally finished my new Tiger Moth 400 Slope Glider kit. I spent alot of extra time sanding, filling, and painting, and it didn't turn out too bad. I added flying wires, aftermarket wheels, and powered it with a Himax brushless motor and Thunder Power Lithium batteries.

Here are some pics and flight details.

Nick

Front quarter and front view. The flying wires are silver thread from Wal-Mart, the wheels are Dubro light units. The pilot is a prepainted job I got at the LHS. The wing struts are laser-cut plywood from www.e-flightline.com.
Nick King is offline Find More Posts by Nick King
Last edited by Nick King; Jun 06, 2004 at 01:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2004, 01:12 PM
T-A-F-K-A crash_out
Joined Jan 2003
559 Posts
Taxing and take off. The plane is powered by a Himax 2025-2700 in a GWS EPS-400 gearbox. It is geared 3.9:1 and swings an 11x7 APC TE prop. A Jeti 18-3P ESC sends the power from the Thunder Power 1900 mah 3s lithium cells to the motor. Static amp draw on the ground is about 10.7 amps.

Control comes form 3 GWS Pico STD servos given the signal by a Hitec SuperSlim receiver. The slot below the battery cooling opening was perfect to shove the RX and ESC as far forward as I could. Balance came out dead on after opening up the battery bay a bit.

Weight RTF is 19.3 ounces.

Nick
Last edited by Nick King; Jun 06, 2004 at 01:17 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2004, 01:16 PM
T-A-F-K-A crash_out
Joined Jan 2003
559 Posts
Low pass and touch-and-go. This thing has plenty of power. It performed very graceful loops and rolls at around 3/4 throttle, and slow circuits are easily done at half throttle. After my experiences with GWS warbirds, I couldn't believe how well this thing flies, and how graceful it is in the air.

Flight times should approach 20 minutes, maybe more with throttle management.

Nick
Last edited by Nick King; Jun 06, 2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2004, 01:25 PM
T-A-F-K-A crash_out
Joined Jan 2003
559 Posts
Flying. The plane looks beautiful in the air, and I enjoyed flying it greatly.

Unfortunately, the GWS decals stuck even worse than usual, and flew off from the air flowing into the car on the way to the field. I am going to look around for some 1/12th scale british decals to decorate it out.

Nick
Old Jun 06, 2004, 01:31 PM
T-A-F-K-A crash_out
Joined Jan 2003
559 Posts
Rolling and landing.

The Tiger Moth can do some very un-scale-like rools and loops, and some basic aerobatics. The beauty of the plane is the grace with which it does them, and in that if scale flight is more your style, it will not dissapoint.
Old Jun 06, 2004, 01:37 PM
T-A-F-K-A crash_out
Joined Jan 2003
559 Posts
I finished it all with an arguably scale landing....

Seruiously, the grass at our field is due for a cut, and the little 1.75" wheels couldn't fight the grass.

I'm very happy with the plane overall, and it performs exactly as I'd hoped. I wouldn't call it a replacement for the venerable Pico Tiger Moth, but if you liked it, then the new 400 model should be a favorite as well.

Nick
Old Jun 06, 2004, 02:08 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,555 Posts
How much wind will it handle?

Chuck
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Jun 06, 2004, 02:26 PM
T-A-F-K-A crash_out
Joined Jan 2003
559 Posts
-deleted reply-

I screwed up...

Nick
Last edited by Nick King; Jun 06, 2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2004, 02:27 PM
T-A-F-K-A crash_out
Joined Jan 2003
559 Posts
There was little to no wind yesterday, but I would think the plane could handle 10 MPH winds no sweat. The 19 ounce weight helps keep it steady.

This is really the hands of the pilot-I have planes I once couldn't fly in 10 mph winds that pose little or no threat to me now in 15-20 mph winds. The key to remember is this thing has alot of drag and probably couldn't build up enough speed to overcome winds greater than 20 mph.

Nick
Old Jun 07, 2004, 10:39 AM
Danbury, Connecticut, United States
Joined Oct 2003
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
How much wind will it handle?

Chuck
It sems to handle the wind pretty nicely. The wind has been my enemy for months, but i couldnt just let my moth sit there. Ive flown it a few times with a strong breeze and enjoyed all the flights. It doesnt like turning into a head wind though.

Nick i had problems with the decals too. My problem is parts of the decals stuck better than others. Now i have peeling decals that will take the paint off if i pull and it looks bad! I want to just rip them off then paint on the markings.
nogoer is offline Find More Posts by nogoer