HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2004, 12:53 AM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
using a motor as a servo?

anyone know how (assuming it's possible) to turn a continuous turning motor into a servo or give it "servo-like" control? basically i have a motor i can control remotely to go full on, off, or reverse. i want to be able to use this to move a control surface
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2004, 03:56 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/hobby/servo1.htm

Starting from just a motor will need a lot of extras. You need something to sense the servo position and feedback control electronics to drive the motor to the correct position.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jun 06, 2004, 12:28 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
You add a gear train to a motor to slow the motor's many revolutions down to the 1 or less at the output.
I have used slot car gears to do this.
The selection of direction and amount is as simple as an On-off-on switch, or a feedback system that controls the position.
There's two hard parts. Aligning the gear train, and creating the feedback loop.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jul 09, 2004, 04:58 AM
United Kingdom, Norwich
Joined Jun 2004
451 Posts
You could just use the motor to turn a length of threaded rod with a free running nut connected to your control surface (screw jack) and ideally use limit (micro)switches to stop where you desire. Your 'start' switch would then short out the appropriate limit switch to get things moving in the right direction....no need for feedback electronics then.
John
jetstuff is offline Find More Posts by jetstuff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:13 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,376 Posts
You should be able to take the circuit board out of a servo, use the motor wires to drive your motor (possibly with something to increase the power) and use the pot (or a similar one) to sense the position.

I say 'should' because changing the motor doesn't always work, but I don't know much about electronics! You can certainly remove the pot from a servo and attach it to something else.
RobinBennett is online now Find More Posts by RobinBennett